PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever make a snowboard??

Jim Kountz
12-07-2007, 4:15 PM
So my 11 year old comes out in the shop the other day and asks me if we can make a snowboard. My first thought was, lets just go buy one, then I got to thinking why not! This could be a great project for the two of us to work on together.
So Im researching everything I can on the subject and am looking for websites, books, videos or whatever. If anyone knows of such material I sure would appreciate the help!!

Thanks,

Jim

Bill Wyko
12-07-2007, 4:26 PM
How it's made did an episode on making snowboards a while back. You might check DIY's website for the episode. I've been meaning to make a wooden sled for a few years now. Probably be another year or 2 before I get to it. I want to do it with a Sam Maloof style.:o

Justin Bukoski
12-07-2007, 4:44 PM
I've thought about doing one. Looking at my wife's snowboard it just looks like a bent lamination with some slippery plastic on the bottom maybe HDPE?

Eddie Darby
12-07-2007, 5:33 PM
I've made snowboards, but they only worked in fresh powder snow. We strapped ourselves in with old inner tubes from tires. A fat one went over our toes, and a thin bicycle inner tube went behind our heels. It took 20 minutes to walk up the hill, and 2 minutes to go down! :-)

If you want to go down a snow packed ski hill, then you are talking steel edges, and good bindings, with lots of strength. I would take a look at the construction of skis to get an idea of what's involved. Modern snowboards are just fat skis that you stand on sideways.

I would suggest that you buy him a snowboard, and find some other woodworking project instead.

Get a good cool looking helmet so it will be used, and wrist guards n elbow pads, because the arms want to break the fall. Get some lessons to start too. Knowing how to keep yourself on your up-hill edge will save you from a lot of black n' blue you know what's ! They will use a long pole to help you catch your fall and to give you balance when learning, just like tight rope walkers do.

Jim Kountz
12-07-2007, 5:56 PM
I would suggest that you buy him a snowboard, and find some other woodworking project instead.

Eddie Eddie Eddie, wheres the fun in that!!?? LOL Hey thanks for the info, like I said in my OP, my first thought was to just buy one but after looking around a little they really arent that hard. Unless of course you're building one for Shawn White or something!
Im thinking very basic here nothing too elaborate, just something for him to fool around on until he loses interest like kids do. Especially him, he goes from one thing to the next really quick. If its something he really does get into he will want a nice one later anyway.
I found one place that the guy used water ski boots/binding and that seemed to work really well, turns out I just happen to have an old set of them laying around.
The trickiest part looks to me to be the metal edging thats used around the perimeter of the boards. Dont know right off where I would get that kind of stuff but I have a few emails to some folks and hopefully I will get some news on that.
Other than that its basic lamination bending, and fiberglass/epoxy work which I have adequate experience in. No problems there.
This may be interesting to say the least, wish me luck!!

Eric DeSilva
12-07-2007, 6:03 PM
I think I'm with Eddie on this one... Skis and snowboards rely on metal edges for turning--no edge, no ability to turn on anything other than deep powder. The other issue is that the sides (and the edging) aren't straight--the whole idea is that as the weight of the skier/rider exerts pressure on the edge, it contacts the hardpack and the curvature of the edge forces the turn. While I'd agree its an interesting problem, you are looking at the board being a compound curve--more of a "W" shape--as well as (from the top view) being tapered.

Convince him to surf instead. Or, find a cheap board on CL. But, buy new bindings. Definitely, positively, buy him a helmet.

Eddie Darby
12-07-2007, 6:17 PM
You can buy some very inexpensive boards, and if the thing actually works, then maybe he will stick with it because who ever gave up on fun!

If you don't want him to snowboard, then give him something that won't work, and we all would like to give up when it comes to frustration.

This goes along with a thread over on the Neanderthal side of the forum with hand planes for beginners. If you want them to quit, give them an old plane that has a bad blade, and they will get frustrated and quit. If you want to get them hooked on the fun of woodworking, then buy them a Lie-Nielsen or Lee Valley, and watch the shavings fly.

Brian Kent
12-07-2007, 6:29 PM
Hey Jim,

You already know how to do the bent laminations and fiberglass. I bet you could grind the steel edges out of old Marples chisels!:D

But yeah, go ahead and buy the helmet.:rolleyes:

Tim Sproul
12-07-2007, 6:53 PM
The trickiest part looks to me to be the metal edging thats used around the perimeter of the boards.

I'd think the trickiest part is getting the flex correct. Boards and skis have to flex and flex at the right places to perform well.

Michael Schwartz
12-07-2007, 7:12 PM
Here is a link to a site that has some info.

I would think the hardest part would be making skis or a board that is not to stiff, and of course the sidecut is also an important factor.

http://skibuilders.com/howto/

gerford carter
12-07-2007, 7:20 PM
I have built several skateboards for longboarding. Its real easy and they turn out great. I would guess the process would be the same. I laminated thin pieces of oak with glue and put about a 2" curve in it. Once the glue was dry, the trucks were mounted and they are as good as any store bought board.
The edges on a snowboard would be the tough part.
Anyways good luck, we are expecting 3 feet of snow tonight in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado so with that kind of conditions, you don't need edges!

Todd Jensen
12-07-2007, 9:37 PM
I say go for it with the above advice. When my buddy first bought his boat, he was tapped out but intent on wakeboarding. He made his own wakeboard by laminating some ply bent to a frame he made(he just winged everything), and then screwed an old pair of Vans skate shoes to it. While hilarious, it definitely worked, and held together for a few weeks until he bought the real deal(it was fine then, too, but he had the scratch and upgraded to a really nice one.) Have fun! (oh, and the helmet recommendation is a must):)

Pat Germain
12-07-2007, 9:42 PM
I'm pretty sure Colorado Ski slopes require metal edges on all skis and snowboards. I think it's a control issue. Although I live in Colorado, I'm hardly a ski bum and, therefore, not an expert. However, I remember seeing something about this the last time I hit the slopes.

It would be a real bummer to spend a lot of time on a snowboard which wasn't allowed on the slopes. It's certainly worth checking into before committing.

Bill Wyko
12-07-2007, 10:26 PM
The way I see it. my SIL's FIL wanted to make a guitar for his sons so you know what he did? He read up on it, then took a class and is about 80% done with his first guitar and it looks fantastic. I say study it....make it. How else would you do it. Go for it.:D

Mike Heidrick
12-08-2007, 12:23 AM
Roy Underhill did an episode on skis one time. Maybe search for that info as well. Thin wood and laminations and a Form.

Could be an excuse for a nice vaccum press if needed. Tool opportunity.

Jerry Mah
12-08-2007, 2:32 AM
So my 11 year old comes out in the shop the other day and asks me if we can make a snowboard. My first thought was, lets just go buy one, then I got to thinking why not! This could be a great project for the two of us to work on together.
So Im researching everything I can on the subject and am looking for websites, books, videos or whatever. If anyone knows of such material I sure would appreciate the help!!

Thanks,

Jim

Jim-

Has your 11 year old ever ridden a snowboard before? If not, I'd take him to a ski hill and have him do some lessons (unless your 11 year old is a girl, then it'd be a her). Regular or goofy stance, unless you want to do threaded inserts. In the old days, we just tapped straight into the wood core (before threaded inserts), I hated it because my stance changed with my riding.

Personally, I'd probably just buy a used board. There's quite a bit of technology that goes into boards these days. The metal edge is significant for control if you're riding at a ski hill. If your 11 year old is planning to use it as a stand-up toboggan, then I'd go ahead with this project.

Skateboards are a totally different beast (same with long boards). You've got your trucks & wheels to control your movement. With a snowboard it's all about flex and edges.

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-08-2007, 10:26 AM
Im thinking very basic here nothing too elaborate, just something for him to fool around on until he loses interest like kids do. Especially him, he goes from one thing to the next really quick. If its something he really does get into he will want a nice one later anyway.

Yah Yah Sure. "Kountz Snow Boards L.L.C. "
I can see it coming.

M Toupin
12-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Go for it Jim! Sounds like a neat project the two of you can share. There seems to be a common thread here with the assumption that you can't do the edges yourself. I don't see the problem, we're talking a edge rabbit and a strip of metal, not rocket science. Skibuilders sells 80" edge pieces for $2.50 each. Do a little research and check out the skibuilder.com site which has lots of info and materials links. Apparently others are building their own skies and boards or there wouldn't be places like skibuilders or suppliers for the materials! Even if it doesn't come out perfect your son will have the pride that he made it.

Mike

Jim Kountz
12-08-2007, 4:30 PM
Thanks for the info M Toupin, I will look into the edge material. I agree with you too, this doesnt sound all that hard. I even found a site that showed a nice router carriage/jig for getting the correct camber and slope for the front and back. Another site had templates for drilling the holes for the various hardware. Now with your information about the edging, its all coming together. Personally I like a challenge with angles and dangles and what not. Keeps the ol skills sharp ya know!
Heck if it doesnt turn out I still get to spend time in the shop and with my son. Whats better than that!!

Jim Kountz
12-08-2007, 4:31 PM
Yah Yah Sure. "Kountz Snow Boards L.L.C. "
I can see it coming.

Stranger things have happened!! LOL:D:D

Brian K McDermaid
12-08-2007, 4:31 PM
As somebody that snowboards and has kids here is my take... I would hate to have something i made hurt my kid or somebody else's.

Yes it would be fun to make.. but I wouldn't let my kids play with it. I've seen quite a few major injuries on sledding hills by kids using 'toy' snowboards.

If you end up making something like a real snowboard (metal edge) it could easily kill somebody if it gets away from your son.

I say talk your kid into making a skateboard deck or long-board deck together.

If your kid REALLY wants to try snowboarding get him lessons. $50 (in Utah) gets you a days equipment rental, a group lesson and a lift pass.

Just my .0002 cents.

Jim Kountz
12-08-2007, 4:33 PM
The way I see it. my SIL's FIL wanted to make a guitar for his sons so you know what he did? He read up on it, then took a class and is about 80% done with his first guitar and it looks fantastic. I say study it....make it. How else would you do it. Go for it.:D

Now thats what Im saying Bill! How else do we learn new things if we are too scared to try just because something has curves or compound angles? I aint skeered!!
:D:D:D:D

Bill Wyko
12-08-2007, 4:36 PM
:rolleyes:There's a thought. Buy a used board to use as a template and for laminating yourshape. It could also be your router jig.

Jim Kountz
12-09-2007, 12:46 AM
As somebody that snowboards and has kids here is my take... I would hate to have something i made hurt my kid or somebody else's.

Yes it would be fun to make.. but I wouldn't let my kids play with it. I've seen quite a few major injuries on sledding hills by kids using 'toy' snowboards.

If you end up making something like a real snowboard (metal edge) it could easily kill somebody if it gets away from your son.

Just my .0002 cents.

If I make a "real" snowboard with a (metal edge) it could kill someone? So are you saying that a store bought board wouldnt/couldnt?? Whats your logic in that? Also Im not so irresponsible that Im going to send my kid out with something dangerous to himself or others, to say so would be assuming alot about me without even knowing me. Lastly, perhaps just maybe some have the skills to build such a thing properly and some dont. Maybe I can make one and maybe I cant but Im not going to let that stop me if I want to pursue this.

Justin Bukoski
12-09-2007, 2:28 AM
Jim, sometimes its the process that makes it worthwhile, not whether you can use the results.

Good luck.

Jerry Mah
12-09-2007, 3:14 AM
Whatever you do, skibuilder.com isn't the right site. :) skibuilders.com is...

It's a pretty neat site. I must say that the metal edge banding on my old snowboard didn't look like what they've got there (when I got hit one time, it ripped up the base, the edge, and the top pretty good).

Jim-

Good luck! I think you'll have a blast. :) I would recommend you take your son out for lessons if he hasn't boarded before. I can still remember the first time I went out boarding... and all the cursing... that was way before helmets too... :eek:

Here's a neat resource for building your own snowboard.

http://www.grafsnowboards.com/index.php?url=Home

It even has a cool "CAD" program for designing boards.

Also check out these guys.

http://www.roarockit.com/custom_bag.php

They've got a cool "Thin Air Press" for making skateboards / long boards. The link above gets you a custom sized bag. You could probably reuse this bag to do some cool veneering & bending projects. I'd personally love to try this out.

Ed Ditto
12-09-2007, 9:27 AM
Go on and build it, man...it'll be time well spent.

I snowboard and whitewater kayak and fly-fish, and bringing my woodworking skills to my favorite sports makes them that much more fun. I'll rarely buy something if I can make it myself. (For instance, I built a really cool modular sleeping platform/gear stowage system for the back of my pickup truck, then spent a month out west living out of it while I was trekking around.)

On the snowboard: dressing it up with a cool paint job will make the project that much more rewarding. Scout around and see what you can find for graphics...your son might know somebody who's pretty handy with an airgun, for instance. Or even a spray paint bottle.

Ed

Brian K McDermaid
12-09-2007, 2:15 PM
If I make a "real" snowboard with a (metal edge) it could kill someone? So are you saying that a store bought board wouldnt/couldnt?? Whats your logic in that? .

My logic is simple: I've seen people hurt by snowboards. I've been on the slopes when people have died. The window in my office looks out over 3 major ski resorts... I watch the Life Flight helicopters land daily.

Also Im not so irresponsible that Im going to send my kid out with something dangerous to himself or others, to say so would be assuming alot about me without even knowing me.

I never assumed anything about you... I was just giving you some advice from a parent and somebody thats been skiing and snowboarding for over 30 years. I make sure my kids use the safest equipment and have skill's needed to be safe.

Todd Jensen
12-17-2007, 5:57 PM
Hey Jim, saw this commercial on TV and looked it up for you remembering this thread - thought you and your son might find it inspirational.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvJj_8hG7mI

"Jason Belous"
12-17-2007, 8:12 PM
Jim, I look forward to seeing the final pics of that thing in the snow, sounds very achievable and alot of fun to make, I guess no one remembers the metal death traps that we use to sled down hills with with the razor sharp edges or the hair shaving ice skates that our parents lovingly tied onto our feet, If you follow as close as possible industry guide lines which it sounds like you are than you will have nothing to worry about, everything is dangerous if abused or not used properly and a store bought board would be dangerous as well, and I am sure for the massive hills your eleven year old will be attacking will be well suited for a trial snowboard. I would not skimp on the bindings, I would get a good set of bindings after all no point in skimping on the hardware when that beautiful board is finished. And if it doesn't perform it sure will make a great wall hanging that your son will have forever. The few things my dad with are the best memories I have as a child. And if he doesn't wan't it I will hang it on my wall just send it my way