PDA

View Full Version : Another birdhouse ornament

Dave Bonde
12-07-2007, 1:48 PM
Here is another birdhouse ornament. I liked the way the proportions tuned out on this one, critiques welcome both on the ornament and photograhpy. I have been working on my photo skills but still have some work left. Dave

George Guadiane
12-07-2007, 1:52 PM
What an elegant turning... Well done.

Alex Elias
12-07-2007, 1:53 PM
There rally is not a whole lot to critique. The woods, the shape and propotions make my eyes happy. Nice finials, great work. I don't know if I would have choose that wire as the eyelet asnd drill the top. That is the only thing I would study for a different option

Tom Sherman
12-07-2007, 1:53 PM
Dave your ornament looks good, the woods contrast nicely and your work looks flawless. Photo looks good to me but I'm working on my photo skills too.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
12-07-2007, 2:17 PM
That sure is pretty, Dave. Great handiwork!

Steve Schlumpf
12-07-2007, 2:21 PM
Very pretty work Dave! Great looking woods, good color contrast, very nice detail work and a nice finish! Photo looks great - good lighting, crisp focus and the colors look natural. Couldn't ask for much more than that!

Glenn Hodges
12-07-2007, 3:08 PM
Looks great because of the wood, design, your work, and photo.

Neal Addy
12-07-2007, 3:16 PM
Nice little birdie condo. I like how you drilled the top finial to attach the wire. Beats taking a chance on splitting the wood with an eyehook.

I'm not sure about the wire chain but it's a nice touch putting a piece of matching wire on the bottom finial.

Julie Tanner
12-07-2007, 3:33 PM
I really love your birdhoues, its cute.

I guess your using really tiny tools to make those.

thanks for sharing

Dean Thomas
12-07-2007, 4:04 PM
I agree with both Alex & Neal on this one.

I like the shapes of all the components, and I like the shape of the wire that you've bent to create the top loop, bent to mimic the actual finial. Nice touch.

This is another one of those instances where sometimes practicality helps define design, and where most of the birdhouse ornaments have a less fancy finial atop the house so that the connection is simpler, maybe more "ornament-like" and less finial-like.

While I do like the nifty little touch of using the matching wire on the under finial, I'm gonna ponder out loud the possibility of using really skinny monofilament to hang this type of finial-topped ornament. Could that work? The line would mostly go away and leave the ornament floating in the air. Might even help us see the top finial more clearly. Shame to hide that cute little finial.

Nice use of the wood, I thought.

Mike Vickery
12-07-2007, 4:13 PM
Very nice looking birdhouse.

robert hainstock
12-07-2007, 4:41 PM
Dave,
My chief art critic of 53 yrs and I agree the copper wire highlights just right. The only mono filament I know of that is invisable doesn't get that way till it is in water.
Bob:)

Dave Bonde
12-07-2007, 4:51 PM
Thanks for all the comments I really appreciate it, I will include another picture (color not great) to show how the ornament is displayed. When they go out most of them include a stand like the one in the picture. The ornament in the picture went to its new home already so I can't "play" with the sugestions about how to hang it. But for those that don't like the copper hanger, does it look better to you when you can see the stand also. Be honest:) Julie, after the wood is round about the only tool I use is a 5/8" skew. Dave

George Guadiane
12-07-2007, 5:02 PM
Thanks for all the comments I really appreciate it, I will include another picture (color not graet) to show how the ornament is displayed. When they go out most of them include a stand like the one in the picture. The ornament in the picture went to its new home already so I can't "play" with the sugestions about how to hang it. But for those that don't like the copper hanger, does it look better to you when you can see the stand also. Be honest:) Julie, after the wood is round about the only tool I use is a 5/8" skew. Dave
The stand is simple and BRILLIANT! I will be making some birdhouses and using your concept for mounting. I have some little burl slabs, bark & stuff that would be perfect for this... Thanks for the great work and a great idea.

Neal Addy
12-07-2007, 5:04 PM
Nice presentation! That works for me.

I meant to ask... what are the dimensions of the bird house?

Dave Bonde
12-07-2007, 5:16 PM
Nice presentation! That works for me.

I meant to ask... what are the dimensions of the bird house?

Roof 3" largest diameter, 4.75" overall height, top finial .625" in length, bottom finial 1" in length.

Dave

Ron Hipp
12-07-2007, 8:28 PM
Well done beautiful work, design, wood.

Bernie Weishapl
12-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Great looking birdhouse. Like the wood. Well done.