PDA

View Full Version : Seggy's Dream

Malcolm Tibbetts
12-07-2007, 1:09 PM
Boy, you guys are quick. I see where Raymond has already posted info on my video effort. Here is my posting on the subject...

I’ve jumped into another vortex; this time, it’s video (movie) making. As a result of taking a class at our local college this fall, I have posted my first video on youtube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRn_mzDYq-s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRn_mzDYq-s)

This turning, “Seggy’s Dream” is Brazilian tulipwood, Gabon ebony, bloodwood, and pink ivory, 9” tall, finished with Bullseye Universal sanding sealer and Minwax Wipe-On-Poly (gloss).

This is a donation for the American Cancer Society which I’ve posted on eBay by searching for Seggy's Dream

Happy Holidays

George Guadiane
12-07-2007, 1:18 PM
You ROCK!
I enjoyed the video and the whole concept.
I wish I had the money to get serious about bidding, but unless I miss my guess, this piece will probably set records for prices on your work... I hope so, it's for a GREAT cause.

Rasmus Petersen
12-07-2007, 1:40 PM
The video and the vessel are GREAT i look forward to seeing more videos and work from you.

Tom Sherman
12-07-2007, 1:45 PM
I agree a very nice piece. I loved the video and I look forward to seeing more

Glenn Hodges
12-07-2007, 1:56 PM
Malcom I have always enjoyed your work, this makes me like it even more, thanks.....

Bill Wyko
12-07-2007, 2:29 PM
Very nice Malcolm. I've got a few seggie's hanging around myself.:D

Steve Schlumpf
12-07-2007, 2:39 PM
Really enjoyed the film Malcolm! Reminded me of one of those classic Christmas animations that play this time of year - I am sure this would go over big if you could get it on PBS. Again - nice film!

robert hainstock
12-07-2007, 5:01 PM
Very nice, very special. VCongrats
Bob:D

Brodie Brickey
12-07-2007, 5:48 PM
Malcolm,

Love the video. Entertaining and educational.

Ron Hipp
12-07-2007, 8:58 PM
Beautiful work for a great cause.

May I be so bold and ask if there is a story behind the name “Seggy’s Dream”

Ron

Gary Herrmann
12-07-2007, 9:58 PM
Great video, great turning and great thought.

My Mom is a cancer survivor.

Thanks, Malcolm.

Bill Wyko
12-07-2007, 10:18 PM
You know Malcolm, that's another thing I like about your work. It always has a wonderful meaning behind it. I think video will make a fantastic touch when you make a piece for someone. That makes a great way for the owner to tell the story of how a piece comes to be. To explain segmenting to some people can be hard to get the idea across. What better way than an enjoyable video to show friends. Good job.:)

michael gallagher
12-08-2007, 1:25 AM
Not even being up on eBay for 2 days, the bidding is almost at $1,000 - this is an outstanding looking piece and I admire you for donating 100% to charity. I think I'll bookmark the auction to see how high it can go!

Philip Morris
12-09-2007, 2:03 AM
Malcolm,
Great video. I loved seeing you in action. Do you really work that fast or was that just the magic of video?

I have to say, though, I don't necessarily share Seggy's dream. My dream would be to have a spot on a shelf in your shop. In fact, I was really disappointed to hear in the video that the spot was already taken by the actor segment. I was going to apply for it.

Good luck with the auction.

Paul Heely
12-09-2007, 9:19 AM
Great video Malcolm, and what a wonderful cause to donate to. Thanks!

Quinn McCarthy
12-09-2007, 11:36 AM
Awesome job Malcolm and for a great cause as well. I hope the auction goes high.

Quinn

Bubba Davis
12-09-2007, 1:55 PM
Mr Tibbetts I was privileged to see your demo at the Woodcraft store in Reno and thank you for that and what a wonderful thing you are doing. What a beautiful job on that vessel.

Alex Elias
12-09-2007, 2:11 PM
The video looks great and you work is awesome too. I like the idea of both also. The movie is sticky; today I was looking for a piece of wood and saw all the little cut offs I have and I remember the movie.
Congratulations

Michael Armstrong
12-09-2007, 9:17 PM
Malcolm:
What a great video and what fantastic support for a great cause.

Michael

Malcolm Tibbetts
12-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. In its first few days on youtube, the video had over 2000 viewers and the auction on eBay has ben quite active with over 20 bids. This whole thing was an experiment and at this early stage of the game, I'd have to say that I'm very pleased.

Malcolm Tibbetts
12-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Beautiful work for a great cause.

May I be so bold and ask if there is a story behind the name “Seggy’s Dream”

Ron

Ron, the title simply refers to "Seggy's" dream of survival - a dream that most cancer patients share. The name "Seggy" is my invention and obviously relates to "segment".

I am quite astonished by the generosity of the bidders on the auction. The opportunity to make a nice donation to the American Cancer Society has obviously "struck a cord" with a few collectors. The vessel, without the video and without the donation opportunity, has very limited value, but the combination has created a "home run".

I think I can claim this experiment to be an unqualified success. It sure feels good. Happy holidays everyone. :):):)

Roy Hatch
01-10-2008, 7:37 PM
Malcolm, You'll never know how may hearts you have touched with your work. I'm still referring friends to the video. Beautiful work and a beautiful thought.

Roy

Don Eddard
01-10-2008, 8:28 PM
Great work Malcolm. I missed this the first time around. It's no longer shown on eBay. What was the final selling price?

Bill Stevener
01-10-2008, 8:52 PM
Hear it is Don.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=71553