PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 111 Gloat

mike wacker
12-07-2007, 12:15 PM
So, it really was a PM66. So, I got first dibs, tonight at 6pm. Wish me luck.

Chris Foley
12-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Good Luck...I hope I will be next!! :cool:

mike wacker
12-07-2007, 10:15 PM
We got it! Pretty much as advertised. Used but not abused in commercial environment. Was used strictly ripping 2x stock in log home enterprise. So, no miter, guard history, Motor cover a distant memory, etc.

Got it home, gave it a bath, shower really. Got caught in minor blizzard on way back in open trailer. Started cleaning out the "inside". Tilt wheel now turns freely. Blade raising wheel (ie it's gear's) still need some "mucking out". Figure I better really tear it down to clean it up.

It has serious rock hard deposits of pine pitch/saw dust in there. any thoughts about what may best desolve suck deposites?

Jude Tuliszewski
12-07-2007, 10:30 PM
What.... no pics? For the pitch, kerosene, WD40, or one of the
commercially sold removers, and an old tooth brush.

Mark Berenbrok
12-08-2007, 12:33 AM
Mineral spirits work well for removing pitch.

Bob Genovesi
12-08-2007, 5:08 AM
Mike,

Now that's the way to buy a good tool, used but not abused!!

mike wacker
12-08-2007, 7:01 AM
OK so it's 6am on Saturday after a late night kids hockey game and I'm up and can sleep cause I want to go "play" with my new toy, er saw. Right now I have it at a good friends ginormous (green with envy) 40x60 shop. In there the 50 in. original accufence is perfect. After I get it cleaned up though my 11.5x33 shop won't handle that very well. So I'm looking for a 30 in. set of rails or a whole 30 in. accufence if any one has upgraded their's.

In time, i.e. when the budget allows I think I might want a beismeyer (SP) or the like but if I can find any decent 30 in. now so I can get it in my garage/shop I'll be good.

Well off to breakfast and over to my buddy shop with the Topsaver, WD40 and the tooth brush. Thanks for all the suggestions and let me know if anyone has a 30 in. accufence lounging on the back self.

mlw

Mike Heidrick
12-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Mike, Keep an eye pout in the for sale here or on wood net. The 30" Bies and Unifences from Lowes (during their clearence these were sold for ~$100) sometimes have hit the for sale sections as some members bought more than one. Just keep an eye there for the boys looking to unload them. Typically they have been resold for under $200.

mike wacker
12-08-2007, 8:14 PM
So it's Saturday night (hope you all don't mind the diary). $700 for used PM66, $75 of diesel in your buddy's truck as a thank you for helping pick it up, $20 Topsaver kit to start the rehab, Industrial Electrician buddy dropping by about the time you are firing it up the first time and the Mag starter is giving you fits, Priceless.

So I cleaned it up a bunch. Used some pads I found at the Borg on the ROS to clean-up the top and then put the Top saver to it. WD40ed the pitch and gum that I could reach thru the Table Insert Hole. Tooth brush, screw driver, etc. The tilt adjustment wheel freed up right away. Feels like I would guess a new should feel like. Two fingers to turn the wheel. At first required two hands and effort.

Blade raising wheel took a little more. After much compressed air and cleaning noticed that the locking wheel was not only free, it was useless. The locking screw on the locking wheel was loose so the locking wheel was not unlocking, if you follow that. A little allen (sp) key work tightend the locking wheel so I could untighten the raising wheel. Hope you found that as funny as I did once I figured it out.

I took some pictures today but forgot the camera over at the barn. Will try to post some tomarrow.

Lee Hingle
12-09-2007, 2:54 AM
After I get it cleaned up though my 11.5x33 shop won't handle that very well. So I'm looking for a 30 in. set of rails or a whole 30 in. accufence if any one has upgraded their's.

In time, i.e. when the budget allows I think I might want a beismeyer (SP) or the like but if I can find any decent 30 in. now so I can get it in my garage/shop I'll be good.

mlw

Mike,
Why not cut the rails to 30" rip capacity? The accufence is every bit as good as a Bies in my opinion.

By the way, I've got a practically unused original '66 blade guard if you're interested make me an offer.

Lee

mike wacker
12-09-2007, 8:11 AM
Mike,
Why not cut the rails to 30" rip capacity? The accufence is every bit as good as a Bies in my opinion.

By the way, I've got a practically unused original '66 blade guard if you're interested make me an offer.

Lee

I want to save the 50" rails for when hell freezes over and I get a shop big enough to take advantage of them! ;o) I am impressed with the accufence. Of all the fences I have fondled over the last three months, I think the accufence maybe the most rugged. I do this very unscientific test of leaning over the saw, griping the far end of the saw top and pressing the heal of my thumb against the "free" side of the fence. The accufence as some of the lowest defection among all that I have Tweaked.

Sent you a PM on the Guard. Thanks! I'll be investigating the cost of replacing the "Dust Removal Door" , latch and also the motor cover.

Lee Hingle
12-09-2007, 1:53 PM
Hi Mike - I didn't see the PM?
Try ebay for a motor cover - sometimes they pop up on there from time to time. I believe they are a little pricey direct from Powermatic.
Lee

Dave MacArthur
12-10-2007, 10:50 PM
90$ from powermatic. PM me if you want me to dig up the part # etc, I called them after being unable to find the info correctly on website.

mike wacker
01-05-2008, 9:32 PM
Well the Holidays are over so I can get back to restoring my PM111. Well its really a PM66 as you may all know from my early questions, but the seller was confused and it's kinda my pet name now.

Since I last entered, I took the old Mag Starter out as it was busticated and thru in a temporary 2 Pole wall switch and a handy box so I could run it. Used it that way a little over Christmas.

Today we (well I watch my electrician buddy) installed a new (used built from parts he savanged) Mag starter for the saw. Nice.

Also finally got to checking how far out of alignment the Top/Blade/Fence were. When I started I measured the Top and Blade to be .015 to .020 out of alignment. I used a decent combination square against the miter slots and feeler gauges to measure this. I loosed the two bolts on the "front" of the saw leaving the one above the "Guard Post" tight. Placed 2x4 on the corner that need to be tweaked and gave it a couple of love taps with a framing hammer. About 6 or 8 love taps and I think I got it to within .001 to .003. I think if I had one of the many TS aligner tools using a dial indicator I could get better readings, but this seems pretty tight tolerances to me. Comments all?

Next I aligned the fence to a miter slot. I did this by finger feel. I've heard a "little" run out away from the back side of the blade is not a bad thing. If I were to make a fairly accurate guess, I'd say the fence is very close to .010 away from parallel from the front of the table to the back. Does this sound good?

Next, I need to order a new dust hatch, and pursue the different angles I have at mobile base, replacing the Accufence "tube" (it's dented on the front, does not affect accuracy but ugly", deciding on whether to go to a 30 in rail (anybody have a spare laying around?), replacing the motor cover (either form PM or the field) and think about router table, lift, etc.

All comment deeply appreciated. I promise pictures soon.

Dave MacArthur
01-06-2008, 1:30 AM
1. Don't buy the Powermatic PM66 mobile base. It is terrible, only has 2 locking wheels, and won't fit older pm66 with the dust port down near the floor.
2. the 90$ pm66 motor cover PM sells for new saws will work on older saws. However, you could easily replace it with a 1/2" plywood box you could build in 30 min, and be just as good.

Good luck!

mike wacker
01-12-2008, 6:44 PM
Dave,

Seems you spot on on the PM mobile base. Picked up a generic HTC base for the time being. Stopped at Woodcraft yesterday. Local shop is having a clear the decks sale this weekend. Got the Baltic birch "Formica" cover top to fit in the 50" rails on the saw for 50% off retail. While walking around and looking at all the "stuff" they were trying to get out of inventory I was talking about my saw. The Store manager said "what was the dimensions on the square tube on your Accufence rail?". He sold me a trash bound 2x3 rail that was off a Jet, new in the box with angle irons, etc. Took the square tube and changed out the dented one on the accufence. $30, perfect.

While looking around I found the 6" riser kit for my Delta band saw for 1/2 off too. Good day.

mlw

Bruce Page
01-12-2008, 7:01 PM
Mike, sounds like a very good day. Have you posted pics of the 111 yet?

mike wacker
01-13-2008, 3:38 AM
Mike, sounds like a very good day. Have you posted pics of the 111 yet?

It's not picture worthy yet but on the other hand that would document my progeress better. let me see if I can nuke out how to post some pics.