PDA

View Full Version : Trouble With Engraving Logo

John Frazee
12-07-2007, 11:29 AM
I have been stumpped on this file. I have to laser it on 15 acrylics and cannot seem to get it traced and cleaned up enough. It came with GIF, AI, etc but is giving me trouble. I have even converted to bitmap without any good luck. My Photograv just came in yesterday and have not had time to learn it and try it with this image. Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Frank Corker
12-07-2007, 11:57 AM
John as an ai this should engrave perfectly well as it is. There is no need to trace it! When you trace it, you are attempting to get it as clear as an ai. Here it is with just the white square background removed. On acrylic it should engrave very nicely as it is. Try it.

Mike Null
12-07-2007, 12:08 PM
I was able to open it in Corel but did not know how to reduce the file size to load it.

If you need the Corel file send me your email.

John Frazee
12-07-2007, 1:07 PM
Thanks both of you but here is what I have done so far. I have removed the white square as Frank said. I did that last night and something was still wrong. I have worked with it in corel, cleaning some of the shadowing up and there seems to be so many layers, it's like some are invisible until you try to engrave. I thought that with it being an ai file that it would engrave nicely. I just can't get it to do so. I am no expert but have had good luck with some of the other logos and photos.

Ed Maloney
12-07-2007, 7:39 PM
In Corel try viewing it in wireframe mode. That may help you sort out things.

Mike Null
12-07-2007, 8:24 PM
Try selecting the drawing and opening object manager. From object manager you can easily see and delete what you want.

Ray Rouleau
12-07-2007, 8:33 PM
I am having trouble trying to get the attached logo to be something that would look decent on glass (beer or coffe mugs)for a local Hockey club. any ideas?

Mike Null
12-07-2007, 8:47 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it. What am I missing?

Frank Corker
12-07-2007, 10:17 PM
I finally get what you were talking about now. The ai file has been reduced by someone and when they reduced it all those little spikes came out. They aren't supposed to be there are they?

I have included a very quick attempt at getting you a greyscale picture from this one you can see. I did a quick run around the picture and took out all the offending little bits and coloured it. If it were not for the fact that it's 2.20 am I might have given it more work.

I suspect that the person who has the original needs to be spoken to if this is not to your liking and have them send you an uncompressed un reduced file.

Frank Corker
12-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Ray I would suggest on yours you lighten the dark colours and engrave it as it is, like Mike says, looks okay to me

Frank Corker
12-07-2007, 10:23 PM
On a further note, looking on the Grace plus nothing ministries, they actually do have that spikey pidgeon as the logo! So forget my efforts, it looks like it's supposed to be on there, although I fear they have made a cockup on it :confused:

John Frazee
12-07-2007, 11:45 PM
Thanks for all the help I have been given. Ya'll have been very helpful.

And yes Frank, that spikey pigeon, dove thingy is supposed to have those spikes. Actually one time today it looked more like a squirel after it was lasered! I like the way you did it and think it may look better lasered that way. The customer came in and I showed him where I was at on it. He was happy with a few different trials but left it up to me.

Frank Corker
12-08-2007, 7:14 AM
Oh that's good John. I like it when a customer uses a bit of common!

Frank Corker
12-08-2007, 7:32 AM
John, try this one and see if it will help.