PDA

View Full Version : OSB for shop walls? Noise?

Greg Stanford
12-07-2007, 9:50 AM
I've seen threads talking about using OSB instead of drywall for shop walls & am preparing to do so. Did wonder if anyone had noticed a difference in the noise level in their shop w/ the OSB walls. I had the idea that OSB would tend to reflect rather that absorb sound making for a rather harsh environment. My shop is very much my place to relax, classical music & curlies spinning off the lathe is my happy place, I wouldn't want to mess that up.

peace & goodwill,

g

David G Baker
12-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Greg,
If sound reflection is a problem put a sound deadening material in the area where the sound bounces off the surfaces. Carpet may work or if you want go on the cheap, use the flats that eggs are stored in when they are sold in bulk. It may take a little experimentation but it can be done.
What surface material do you have now and is sound a problem? If sound is not a problem with your existing set up, install the material type you now have in the area where the equipment is used.
This issue has been discussed here before so maybe a search will give you a little more information.

Chris Padilla
12-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Greg,

A lot of factors come into play in determining how sound interacts with your environment. Not knowing much about your current environment makes it difficult to determine the impact of OSB on that environment.

However, I agree with you that OSB might reflect more sound that drywall but still, we don't know what the status quo is right now.

If you're looking for the ability to hang stuff anywhere on the wall and not worry about finding a stud, you might consider placing the OSB or plywood BETWEEN and flush with the studs at strategic points along the wall and then drywall over that.

Oh, be sure to insulate your shops walls!

Greg Stanford
12-07-2007, 12:37 PM
The shop is new or new to me anyway, work is now being finished on the outside to address some issues & what I have is a 16' x 30' building w/ stud walls & concrete floor. I'm going to insulate & finish the inside. I still think I'll use the OSB because it's cheap (er) & like you say I can hang stuff pretty much anywhere. I just wondered about the noise & if anyone had regretted using OSB because of it.

peace.

g

Jeffrey Fusaro
12-07-2007, 2:31 PM
greg--

i found some nice 4' x 8' sheet good at lowe's that i used for my shop walls. it has a barn side look on one side that is primed for painting. the back side looks like fiberboard/masonite. it's about 1/2" thick and has tounge and groove on the 8' edges, so it butts together seamlessly.

cuts easily with a hand saw or jig saw.

not terrible dusty to work with - no where near the mess like sanding drywall. that was the reason that i opted for this in the first place - i hate drywall dust. you never get rid of it.

it is sturday enough for nailing into for hanging stuff, and with two coats of paint, it looks great.

i think the original intent of the material was for exterior siding on outbuildings and garages. i'm using it indoors, in a partitioned off section of the basement.

if i get my way, i'll be using the same stuff to finish the remainder of the basement. did i mention that i hate drywall??? :D

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-07-2007, 4:13 PM
My code enforcement guy said no when I asked him about that.

Chris Padilla
12-07-2007, 5:24 PM
Ah, yes...fire code! Darn, don't we always forget about such things!! OSB would probably go up like a roman candle if there was a fire in your shop. This building is separate from your home? Not attached at all?

I'd suggest painting your floor with any of the various materials out there for painting concrete/garage floors. It makes clean-up of oil/sawdust a breeze and you can add sand to sections of it to improve traction in various areas. Being in MS, you don't have to worry about snow melt making things extra slick so you may not need such things. A few well placed rubber mats might do the trick for you.

Give us some pics of your shop...that is a nice sized shop to have!

keith ouellette
12-09-2007, 4:07 PM
I used osb ( I finished my building on the slide and didn't think about fires. Its unattached) on the walls an ceilings. caulked all the seams and painted it. It's great. I knew it would absorb a lot of paint so I put a coat of various mistints on first and followed with white. As far as noise in the shop i don't know but I do know that the sound doesn't bother the neighbors at all. I can even hang things on the cieling.