PDA

View Full Version : Lest we forget.

Jason Roehl
12-07-2007, 9:45 AM
Click the link for some of the most amazing and yet heart-rending photographs I've ever seen.

http://www.sflistteamhouse.com/Misc/Pearl%20Harbor/original.htm

Glenn Clabo
12-07-2007, 9:57 AM
msgid/genadmin/cno Washington Dc/dec//
Subj/half Masting Of National Ensign//
Ref/a/doc/1990//
Ref/b/potus/ltr/4dec07//
Narr/ref A Is U.s. Navy Regulations, Ch 12, Art 1264, Para 4, Regarding Authority To Half Mast The National Ensign. Ref B Is Potus Proclamation Letter Designating December 7, 2007 As National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day.// Rmks/1. Per Refs A And B, And As Directed By The President Of The United States, The National Ensign Shall Be Flown At Half Mast On Friday, 7 December 2007, From Sunrise To Sunset, In Honor Of Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day. 2. The National Ensign Shall Be Flown At Half Mast On All Naval Buildings, Grounds, And Vessels Not Underway. 3. Released By Admiral G. Roughead, Chief Of Naval Operations.//

Kyle Kraft
12-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Apparently some have forgotten...not me. Check you calendars and see if Pearl Harbor is mentioned in todays box. Thanks for the link.

Dennis Peacock
12-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Stand, be strong, be sorrowful, be thankful, and be proud.

All in honor of those that served during the time of Pearl Harbor.

Mitchell Andrus
12-07-2007, 10:49 AM
To balance the sorrow a bit...

This is also the week we rolled up our sleeves and began to kick butt. The world is a better place for having done so.

Gary Keedwell
12-07-2007, 11:47 AM
To balance the sorrow a bit...

This is also the week we rolled up our sleeves and began to kick butt. The world is a better place for having done so.
Boy is that the truth....What a great Generation!!!!

Gary

Roy Wall
12-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the link Jason....

Awesome photos in the midst of the terror.....

And yes, A Great Generation of Americans changed the World for better.....

Allen Boynton
12-07-2007, 2:31 PM
Thanks for the link.
Sent them to my niece who just retired from the Navy, and to her son, who just received his Navy "wings".
Looking at the photos was almost as bone chilling as when I visited "The Wall" in D.C.

Another Nam Vet

Mike Cutler
12-07-2007, 5:20 PM
The photos appear to have been taken from Ford Island, an island in the middle of Pearl Harbor, with the exception of the aerial view.

One of the white building that appears in one of the photos became a barracks sometime after WWII. My room was on the NE corner of the building.
For 10 months, the view out my barracks window was the Arizona Memorial.
Everyday the boats of tourists would to come over from Halawa Landing. There was always a lot of chatter on the boat coming in, the boat was pretty quiet on the way back.
I think it will be a long time before people forget.

Nancy Laird
12-07-2007, 6:28 PM
Yes, these pictures are chilling and awesome. However, one needs to visit http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/pearlharbor.asp for the REAL story on these photos. "For a 'sailor' to have snapped pictures from all the perspectives shown..., he would had to have been in the harbor aboard his ship, on the ground at Hickam..., and aloft in an airplane -- all while the attack was in progress."

Additionally, the ship referenced in the link was not even built at the time of the Pearl Harbor attack. The photographs are genuine and archival, have been available since the early 40s, and some have appeared in publications prior to this time, but didn't all come out of one camera that had been "lost" for a number of years.

Nancy (14 days)

Bubba Davis
12-07-2007, 7:26 PM
Well I and a group of bikers that I belong to were able to take 10 survivors that live in Carson City and surrounding aria to lunch today. They are dwindling in number every year and have some great story's to tell.

Keith Outten
12-07-2007, 9:29 PM
Thanks Jason for the link.

There is a song that I remember my Mother used to sing on Pearl Harbor Day that was popular from the period that started out "On the seventh of December we were friends with all the world..........."

My Dad was stationed at Pearl for awhile but long after the attack. My Mom worked at Langley Field during the war changing tires on planes.

Last I heard there were only 4 million living WWII Veterans of the 16 million that served.

Jason Roehl
12-08-2007, 9:27 AM
The number of surviving veterans doesn't surprise me, Keith. I had similar thoughts when I looked at the one photo with lots of service members apparently moving a half-burned plane--they probably survived the day, but not many of them are left. If you think about it, most WWII vets were probably 13-18 years old at the start of the war in 1941, so if they were still alive, they would be 79-84 today, about the average lifespan in the U.S., maybe even a touch longer.

Thanks to those who fought, and especially to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Indeed.

The military grave yards in Normandy tear me up every time. All those people all that agony and for what~?

It is terrible when a few mad men drive the planet 's humanity to tear themselves apart. How do we let it happen? What is it with people that they can be so easily led in a manner that only ever leads to such horror~?