PDA

View Full Version : Not a shop accident

Ken Glass
12-07-2007, 8:53 AM
Well Gang,
I'm on my way to Hip Replacement surgery this morning. I will probably be home by Sun-Mon, God willing. I have needed this for a long time, but kept putting it off until I could barely walk. The SWMBO says I was starting to look like Walter Brennen on the Real McCoys'. They say I should be back in the swing of things in 4-6 weeks. I will work hard to get back in five weeks so I can go to Puerto Vallarta mid Jan. and lay on the beach and drink Margarita's for 7-8 days. I will have to forgo working in the shop for a few weeks, but will keep in touch here at the Creek.

Jack Briggs
12-07-2007, 9:02 AM
Wishing you a speedy recovery, Ken!

Al Willits
12-07-2007, 9:12 AM
Best wish's and get well asap.

Al

Sean Troy
12-07-2007, 9:24 AM
Best of luck !! Puerto Vallarta sure is a great place to relax. If you get a chance and your able to walk down some stairs, check out Conchas Chinas beach on the south side. It's more private than the other beaches.

Jim Becker
12-07-2007, 9:30 AM
Hey, if you have to be out of the shop for a bit, getting a little "tune-up" is at least a good excuse! Best wishes on your surgery and recovery...and enjoy the beach!

Tony De Masi
12-07-2007, 9:33 AM
Ken,

Best wishes for a very speedy recovery.

Tony

John Towns
12-07-2007, 9:45 AM
Ken,

I wish you all the best with your surgery and subsequent recovery. Keep with the physical therapy as I am told it is the key to a successful recovery.

I am a candidate for two hip replacements, but have put it off, mostly because of issues at work, but I hope that this might be my year. I would be most interested in your recovery and what limitations you might have during the 4-6 weeks immediately after the surgery.

Also, I would be interested in the ways the new hip improves your Quality of Woodworking Life...you know, the stuff like being able to actually bend over to pick up something you dropped on the floor...or mustering up the courage to drop to your knees (oh, the pain!) to do some work on the floor...or being able to carry someting heavy while walking on an uneven floor, or even worse, a cluttered floor. These are the things I miss the most...(ah, the simple things in life)!

Again, we will be thinking of you!

John

Phil Thien
12-07-2007, 9:48 AM
One thing I've learned about joint replacement from people I've spoken to that have undergone any of the procedures (never have myself): Recovery is a bear. Your mind will play tricks on you, making you think the pain you're experiencing during recovery will never subside. That can lead to depression and resistance to do the physical therapy (why bother?).

It is CRITICAL to remember that the pain will subside, mobility will return, and you will get better as long as you do the physical therapy.

I had an acquaintance that had both knees replaced at the same time. A week after the surgery he was in tears wondering why he let the doctor talk him into it. His wife (very strong woman) would hear none of it and kicked his butt into PT every day. I saw him six months later and he was like a new man. He had lost weight, and he was pain free for the first time in 20 years.

It works, give it time.

Jeff Considine
12-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Ken,

I had my hip done 6 years ago. Like you, I waited as long as I could. Of course ymmv but I was out of the hospital in 3 days, back on my feet in a few short weeks. For me there was no pain, recovery was a breeze and the only thing I regret was having waited so long to get it done in the first place.

I'll keep some good thoughts for you for a quick recovery.

Jeff

Mike Heaney
12-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Ken,

best wishes for the surgery and a speedy recovery- hope you are skipping around your workshop soon!

Mike

Mike Marcade
12-07-2007, 11:11 AM
Hoping you have a speedy recovery Ken!

From one M.E. to another, do you know what type of implant you are getting? I hear the new ceramic on ceramic ones really last.

Bob Glenn
12-07-2007, 11:21 AM
I had both my hips replaced on same day two years ago. I too, put it off until I couldn't stand it anymore. That was a mistake. My recovery was a piece of cake! Very little pain. I was back to work in ten weeks. Prior to that, I found I could get out in my shop and do a little work as long as I had something to hold on to.

100 percent recovery comes in about a year and it is now wonderful to be able to squat, get down and back up, tie my own shoes, and walk with out pain. The operation was an absolute miracle.

Good luck with the surgery. You'll be glad you finally did it.

Bill White
12-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Just don't try any cliff diving when you get to Mexico.
Payy attention the the therapists, and do what they say.
Bill

Ken Glass
12-12-2007, 7:20 PM
Hey Gang,
Thanks to all who posted and for the well wishes. I will keep in touch with those who wanted to know my progress. It is Wed. Dec. 12th. Although I expected to come home Monday I was unable because my blood pressure dropped very low the second day after surgery. ( Probably the Food) LOL. I did however come back close to home yesterday but, while were were in Springfield, IL at the hospital, mother nature gave us the worst Ice Storm since 3-10-78. I was without power at home for 4 days. I stayed at a close freinds home until today. The wife was a real trooper. She even cut up climbs that had fallen on the driveway to be able to get me to the house. I am happy to be home.... I was truly not prepared for being totally reliant on others. I also had two days of a depressed state (they say from the Anesthetic.) Now I am able to walk with a walker 2040 steps and get in and out of the car unassisted. I am now confident they I will survive the ordeal. Again, the wishes for a speedy recovery mean a lot to me here at the Creek. I can almost smell the saw dust again.........

Russell Tribby
12-12-2007, 7:30 PM
Ken, glad to hear you're doing well. I had hip resurfacing surgery done on my left hip in July. It is different from a total replacement but I've been told that recovery time is similar. I was able to walk around in the shop after a week or so. Forget about moving anything heavy though. You wouldn't want to put yourself in the position of being off balance and falling. I would echo what some others have said in this post. Be steadfast in your recovery and persistant with the pt. It will pay off in the long run. I wish you and yours the best this holiday season.

Bryan Berguson
12-12-2007, 8:30 PM
Ken,

I hope you have speedy recovery. My father had hip surgery and the only thing he regretted was not having it done sooner. He's done very well with his and hopefully you will too.

Bryan

Ray Knight
12-12-2007, 11:12 PM
Physician Input here - goodluck with the surgery. You should do fine. Regarding the other comments of varied pain and progress post-op. Hip replacement works very well, and usually very quickly, often with immediate pain relief, and rehab effort required is mild to moderate. Knee replacement take longer to get pain relief and good function, much more effort in rehab. I always tell folks with hip surgery - the doc does 90% of the work, the patient in rehab does 10%. With Knee replacement the doc does 30-40% of the work, the patient in rehab does 60-70% of the work. Hope this helps. and good luck to you all. Ray

Ken Glass
12-13-2007, 8:03 AM
Russell,
I had that option of the BHR system, but there was some question on whether or not my Femoral head was fractured or not. To answer a question about the type of Hip I received: It is a Stryker Ceramic on ceramic with a Titanium Ace Tabular. It is suppose to give better longevity and less wear. Time of course will tell. Again thanks for all the concerns and well wishes.

Andy Livingston
12-13-2007, 8:27 AM
Good luck with your speedy recovery!!!!

John Revilla
12-13-2007, 9:41 AM
Be back in no time. To a speedy recover.....Godspeed.

Rich Torino
12-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Ken,
your gonna feel like a new man if a few weeks.... speedy recovery

Zahid Naqvi
12-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Glad to see you making a recovery Ken. Take your time, a few weeks here or there are not going to make a big difference but a proper recovery certainly will.

Bob Genovesi
12-13-2007, 12:57 PM
Ken,

I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery!

As for Walter Brennen on the Real McCoys', you are really dating yourself. I used to love watching that show. Another good one was Rawhide! :rolleyes:

Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'

Keep movin', movin', movin',
Though they're disapprovin',
Keep them doggies movin' Rawhide!
Don't try to understand 'em,
Just rope and throw and grab 'em,

Sorry, got carried away down memory lane....Boy, the walks getting longer and longer!! :D