PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
12-07-2007, 8:48 AM
Friday December 7th, 2007

First and foremost, this is Pearl Harbor Rememberance day. Take a moment to remember all those that have fallen in service to this country and the life we have come to enjoy.

WHEW!!!! Just got in from shoveling and snow blowing another 3-4 inches of snow. That's about 16-17 inches since last Saturday, with more coming for this weekend. This is the most snow we've had this early since about 1993-94 as I recall.

Not sure what I'll get accomplished this weekend, other than snow removal. :( Going to attempt delivery on the DP again, but the snow may delay that again. We'll see.

So how's everything in your neck of the woods? Hopefully all is going good and you'll get some shop time this weekend. Let us know what you plan on doing, so we can keep track of you.

Have a good weekend and be SAFE.

Karl

Al Willits
12-07-2007, 9:36 AM
Like you Karl, we're putting time on the snow blowers, temps this weekend are going to be a bit cool at -8 for the low Saturday, so I volunteered to work, this also adds a bit to the drum sander stash fund...

Do have the garage cleaned up enough to start the TV stand for the living room, so I have a bunch of 5/4 white oak I'll have to resaw to 3/4.
Finally got the checks made out to Nic and this forum, wife took them and says she'll mail them, other wise they'd sit on my desk till 2009..:)
My apologies to the forum for procrastinating so long.:o

I'll post pictures of all 5 planers I've got from Nic soon.

Sunday is off to Rockler to pick up whatever they have on sale and I can't live with out and then more shop/garage time.

Those of you in the great north country...stay warm...brrrrrrrr

Al

Greg Cole
12-07-2007, 9:58 AM
Lumber run this afternoon. :D Kind of like last Friday.... but I didn't come back with as much walnut as I'd hoped.... I think I'll be rectifying that today, Least I've had a "reason" to slide out of work early 2 Friday's in a row now. Eyes on some 8/4 and 10/4 mahogany & 8/4 walnut.... hands will be on it in a few hours.
Weather here in KC this weekend is pointing to lotsa shop time too, cold-snow-icy mix... good weather to stay home and hunker down in the shop, then again there's no bad weather for that!

Cheers.
Greg

David Duke
12-07-2007, 10:48 AM
I have to re-caulk our shower in the morning, then begin design work on a small wine cabinet for a client.

Hopefully that won't take too long because I also need to try developing a design for some cabinet in my house. SWMBO is really pressing me to get this done but the heck of it is we can't agree on what it should look like guess you know who will win this argument.

alex grams
12-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Tomorrow morning making a lumber run to grab some maple for making cutting boards for my wife and some family friends for christmas.

-Finish painting the laundry room i tiled last weekend, then finish the cabinets for in there and make some decent doors for them (i have simple doors on there now, but i would prefer something fancier).

-treat the tile in the laundry room

-paint the trim and molding in the laundry room, and reframe one of the doors (the cheap cardboard frame at the bottom got wet sometime in its past, and is swollen up and needs to be replaced)

-try and make time to make a simple desk clock for my wife for christmas (i have some wenge pieces extra, so will joint those up and make a nice simple clock and finish it with tung oil)

My weekend could be any combination of all or none of the above things, but my wife has some fetish about clean clothes, so most likely finish the laundry room first so i can put the washer/dryer back.

Tyler Howell
12-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Hey Karl,
Trying to stay warm.
Cleaning up after the floor sanding.
Working the punch list.
My snow guy hasn't showed yet so may get the honor.:mad:
Try to catch a movie tomorrow and more punch list.
TJH

Play safe!

Fred Voorhees
12-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Will be spending some time in the shop this weekend fabbing up some small picture frames that will be a match to the keepsake box project that I recently completed and posted here in the forum. Walnut frames with inlaid red oak. A couple of five by seven frames and a few four by six frames. Not a whole lot else planned except if we get some snow that amounts to anything and then I'll be piloting the snow blower for the first time of the year. Not looking forward to it. My truck will be in the shop overnight tonight and into tomorrow for some minor work, so I'll be a bit rideless for a bit, but I may try to get some Christmas shopping done for the little lady. I HATE Christmas shopping.:eek:

Mike Marcade
12-07-2007, 11:15 AM
This weekend I'm gonna try to get my son-in-law to help me lift my B.A. jointer onto it's stand. :D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-07-2007, 11:31 AM
Saturday a neighbor is going to help me uncrate and get the MM-16 on the floor. I've got some stuff to do before I can use the lathe. Saturday evening turn a little on the new lathe. Sunday....turn a little on the new lathe. Sunday evening paint a little in preparation for the arrival of my new DC next week.

Thomas Knighton
12-07-2007, 1:16 PM
Tonight and tomorrow, I'll be laying insulation in my attic. It's a 100 year old house with nothing up there. $400 utility bills are killing me :eek:

Tom

Bob Childress
12-07-2007, 1:52 PM
Another coat of varnish and install the necklace hangers in the jewelry chest I'm making for daughter for Christmas. Then, it will be finished!!! Been piddling with it three months now. I'll post some pics next week.

Other than that, its shop cleanup time before starting the next project. :(

Don Bullock
12-07-2007, 1:55 PM
Dog show, dog show, dog show -- yep three days in a row. I may get some shop time is as well to work on some simple Christmas presents. There's no time for my furniture projects.

Bob Genovesi
12-07-2007, 4:15 PM
Sort of stuck in Berlin Germany for a couple of weeks more. Been reading about everyone spending time in their shops and all I cal do is look at photos of mine....

Can't wait to get back home.

Danny Thompson
12-07-2007, 4:55 PM
Taking a final stab at flattening this #4 sole. Maybe even working on my drill press table. Other than that, its shopping for the kids.

Matt Meiser
12-07-2007, 6:31 PM
Not sure yet--I was supposed to be taking a plane-making class tomorrow, but it had to be canceled because the instructors wife is in the hospital. I just got home from a week in southern California with a co-worker for a class so I need to recover from 5 hours of sitting in coach. One thing I definitely need to do is spend some time finishing the easel I'm building my daughter. Other than final cleanup, its ready to spray.

George Bregar
12-07-2007, 6:56 PM
Picking up a Delta DJ-20 and Unisaw...joiner for me, Unisaw reselling to my buddy. Then a 12" Jet bandsaw, and 27 8' four bulb fluorescent fixtures I got off craigslist for $100. Even come with bulbs. :) Building a shop. Probably shoveling snow again from the reports...and continue finishing a Moris Chair that I need done by Christmas...so far so good

Lee Koepke
12-07-2007, 8:38 PM
I get to set up my shiny brand new Grizzly 1023......:D

(and get a Christmas tree)

Jim Becker
12-09-2007, 1:48 AM
No woodworkinjg, but...Saturday, I spent part of the day walking on the Great Wall of China (really!! and yes, I'll post pictures when I get back) as well as touring the Summer Palace in Beijing, eating a lot of great food and having an incredible hot-rock food massage. :D (I need one of those folks to be available after a long session in the shop...:)) Sunday, I'm spending, oh....about 16 hours total flying home including layovers :o...after a little retail therapy at the Silk Market in Beijing. :p

Rick Gooden
12-09-2007, 9:00 AM
Performed Handel's Messiah Friday night, Last night, and have another performance today. Not much woodworking this weekend, but just as rewarding.