PDA

View Full Version : What is BORG?

John Keeton
12-07-2007, 8:10 AM
I see some of our Canadian friends referring to the BORG - I acknowledge my ignorance on a lot of things, and this is one of them! What is the BORG?? Sounds like a neat place.

Bob Childress
12-07-2007, 8:28 AM
It ain't. Originally Big Orange Retail Giant (Home Depot), later associated with all such DIY stores (Lowes, Menards, etc.). :D

Paul Greathouse
12-07-2007, 8:31 AM
Hello John

Besides being the alien bad guys on Star Trek, we here on the Creek use Borg to refer to "Big Old Retail Giant". Lowes, Home Depot or any other large chain store that sells lumber, hardware,ect.

Brian Backner
12-07-2007, 8:32 AM
John,

The Borg were a cybernetic alien race first encountered on "StarTrek: The Next Generation." They were intent on assimilating all humans throughout the galaxy. They moved around in very large space ships that were in the shape of perfect cubes - very similar to the shape of what are termed "large box" stores such as IKEA.

As I understand it, the "BORG," when referring to tools, etc., means Home Depot or Lowes.

Brian

Marc Myer
12-07-2007, 12:54 PM
BORG can also be one of us, as in cyborg, following a long week of solid nose to the grindstone. A gallery came and snatched up all my items destined for a craft fair, and I had to make a zillion items in two days.

I am a machine. I am no longer human. :]

Jason Roehl
12-07-2007, 8:26 PM
More from the Star Trek: The Next Generation series: "We are Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated." That was around long, long before I ever even heard of the Orange Store (HD).

Joe Mioux
12-07-2007, 9:21 PM
just say no to the BORG and support your local lumber yard/home center.

joe

John Keeton
12-07-2007, 9:29 PM
Those acronyms will get you everytime!! Should'a been able to figure that one out. One of those BORGs just helped make our home town hunting store history (owned by the wife and I.) One of the big box stores went in about 20 miles away and our sales nosedived. We saw the handwriting on the wall and are liquidating a business that we have owned for the last 11 years. Will come out OK, but hate to see the end of a local institution. But, the experience has caused me to look for another adventure. Just made a deal on a used Epilog Mini 24 which should be here in a couple of weeks. Probably should have waited until we got through the liquidation, but the opportunity was there. Now, just gotta learn Corel!!

Joe Mioux
12-07-2007, 9:46 PM
Those acronyms will get you everytime!! Should'a been able to figure that one out. One of those BORGs just helped make our home town hunting store history (owned by the wife and I.) One of the big box stores went in about 20 miles away and our sales nosedived. We saw the handwriting on the wall and are liquidating a business that we have owned for the last 11 years. Will come out OK, but hate to see the end of a local institution. But, the experience has caused me to look for another adventure. Just made a deal on a used Epilog Mini 24 which should be here in a couple of weeks. Probably should have waited until we got through the liquidation, but the opportunity was there. Now, just gotta learn Corel!!

Hmmm... you own a hunting store and a big box moved in.

Which one? C or B?

joe

John Keeton
12-08-2007, 8:55 AM
Neither-Sportsman's Warehouse. Although rumor has it that C is putting in a store just south of us in a couple of years. It isn't that we weren't price competitive, but it is the marketing and public perception that makes such a difference. You get NO service at those places and the public just does not realize what happens to the small guys when they take some of their money to the box stores. They came to us to get their questions answered, their repairs done, etc. They didn't see anything wrong with spending 15% - 25% of their money somewhere else, but that was the margin we needed to stay in business. Our customers did it to themselves, and I hate it for them as well as us. It's the same for the small tool shops, etc., and every other small business that has built America. Ever notice how all the little grocery stores that you used to stop at to get a sandwich, or a gallon of milk on the way home, have disappeared? Thank :) !! We do it to ourselves!! I feel an overwhelming sense of guilt everytime I go there to get anything, but it is quickly becoming the only place left - the intent I'm sure!

Bill Cunningham
12-08-2007, 10:58 AM
One of the 'B' Stores opened up just north or Toronto a couple of years ago.. (Toronto is not known for it's hunters :D ) I'm sure it sucks some business away from the smaller stores, but I don't find the prices any better, and in a deal with the local area mayor, they agreed not to carry any of that 'evil' handgun stuff..(you know, the stuff that 'makes' criminals..) So I generally boycott them for that reason alone.. Lowes has just arrived in Canada, they are planning a 100+ stores over the next few years.. So now we got Rona, H.D. and Lowes..

Richard McMahon
12-09-2007, 5:51 AM
Yep, it's a general trend that people want one stop shopping and air conditioning where they can sit and have another ice cream and get fatter because they don't have far to walk to get anything. :cool:
My lady started up a Scrapbooking store here in our small town of 20,000 and within 4 days had the manager of the large W shop in looking around and writing down prices and addresses and in a month had a large display of Scrapbooking items on their shelves.
They are trying to soak up the community spending and we let them. I also feel guilty when I shop there as well.
Some of our local industrial businesses have lost a lot of their good knowledgeable workers to the large stores because the pay is sometimes better so the service drops off because the new employees have no idea what you are talking about or what you want. It's a vicious circle.
I shop all over town and try and spread my wealth. I hope it helps.
Rich.

Barb Macdonald
12-09-2007, 5:33 PM
I picked up that acronym on the project finishing forum, I personally hate the darned places, prefer to avoid 'em if possible. I do like RONA, 'cause they let me walk my dog(s) there:)

SO, I don't know if BORG's can be taken as an original canuckism, or not:)

Oh, while I'm here, thanks again to the forum for the duck boxes.cdr file, it cut GREAT, now if I can just find the picture that showed me how to put 'em together. Probably shouldn't have tried on a late Friday afternoon....

Both my rotaries are rockin' again, yippee!!!

have a great day

Barb

corel drawx3, xenetech rotaries, epilog laser ext 60watt, plotters and CASmate and vinyl, oh my:)
Still on dial-up at home, satellite is my only option, what a PAIN. Not even Bell knows if it'll work well, AND they won't guarantee download speeds even close to high-speed.
The price of livin' rural, I guess..

Marc Prudhomme
12-09-2007, 5:59 PM
The borg are humans who were assimulated into the borg collective,which means that they were turned into cyborgs.LOL

Stephen Beckham
12-09-2007, 8:21 PM
Marc - so if we are going back and forth on this through this site - would that make us cyberborgs? :eek: