PDA

View Full Version : tagua nut. How do you turn these creatures?

Alex Elias
12-07-2007, 3:11 AM
I got a bag of the large nuts from CSUSA and I was wondering how do you turn them? Mainly how do you grave them? Chuck, glued or noe of these?
Thanks for any ideas or suggestons.
Alex

Brian McInturff
12-07-2007, 7:32 AM
Hi Alex, can't tell you how to do them as I've never done one myself. But I did see a tutorial somewhere on doing these. When I have time today I'll look and see if I can find the url for it. I've always wanted to try one myself but always forget to put them on my order. Brian

Bill Blasic
12-07-2007, 8:01 AM
Alex,
Make a flat spot on the nut and then super glue it to a waste block, turn it then part it off.

Jim Becker
12-07-2007, 9:25 AM
As Bill indicates, folks generally use a waste block to hold the nut using CA glue. Small forms like you will make with this material generally can be turned and micro-sanded before you part them off the waste block.

Curt Fuller
12-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Very Carefully!

There's a a little oil in the nuts that makes it hard to get the glue to stick with a waste block. I've actually had the best luck with gorilla glue. Once you start turning make sure your tools are very sharp and take very light cuts. The nuts tend to shatter if you get a catch, they're partially hollow inside. If you use a very sharp tool, you don't need to sand at all. Here's a pic of an ornament from tagua nut.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=73186&d=1191809665

Alex Elias
12-07-2007, 5:15 PM
Very Carefully!

There's a a little oil in the nuts that makes it hard to get the glue to stick with a waste block. I've actually had the best luck with gorilla glue. Once you start turning make sure your tools are very sharp and take very light cuts. The nuts tend to shatter if you get a catch, they're partially hollow inside. If you use a very sharp tool, you don't need to sand at all. Here's a pic of an ornament from tagua nut.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=73186&d=1191809665

That what I'm talking about. Thanks you all for your responses.
Alex

Rich Souchek
12-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Alex,
Would REALLY suggest putting them in your next woodturners club meeting's raffle as a "bring back" item, or bunch of items.
That way, the others can find out how to do something with them and you can use (steal) their ideas......:cool:
Rich S.

Steve LaFara
12-09-2007, 8:56 PM
I'm curious as to how hollow they really are? Would hate to get that perfect shape only to find out that you've just exploded it hitting the center void. Also, what's the best finish for them? Thanks.

Bill Wyko
12-09-2007, 9:50 PM
Their hard as rocks too. I've been able to shape the outside of one but blew it to pieces when I tried to hollow it. Dental tools I hear work well.