PDA

View Full Version : Lights!

Greg Just
12-06-2007, 9:57 PM
What kind of lights do you have over your lathe? I only have fluorescent llights in my shop and need extra lighting while turning. Any suggestions? Track lighting from above?

Dean Thomas
12-06-2007, 10:11 PM
You really want to FLOOD your area with as much ambient light as possible, and then have some variable task lighting. A mix of flourescent and incandescent is good. If you can use halogens or some other intense and white-white light, that's good too. I'm guessing that we're going to see some significant changes in the way we light our shops in the next couple of years as LEDs get more popular, more common, and ever-more affordable.

My workshop is in a basement that really is a working basement more than a working shop. I do not have nearly the lighting I'd like to, so I have lots more task lighting. Goosenecks and trouble lights with incand & flrsnt lights in them clipped to exposed overhead pipes (would have been joists in my old basement shop). The good part of that is that I usually have enough light on the areas where I'm working. The bad part of it is that I have to piddle with lights whenever I change projects. :o

Jim Becker
12-06-2007, 10:18 PM
I have a two-bulb halogen bar directly over the lathe, a small "halogen on a stick" lamp that I can position to shine inside of a piece and general room lighting.

Dean Thomas
12-06-2007, 10:26 PM
I have a two-bulb halogen bar directly over the lathe...
Jim, when you say you have a two-bulb halogen bar overhead, what does that LOOK like? And if they are long, flourescent like tubes, how to you protect them from escaping spinny things??

Greg Just
12-06-2007, 10:48 PM
don't halogens put out a lot of heat?

Paul Andrews
12-07-2007, 8:50 AM
Yes, halogens produce a good deal of heat. I found that fluorescent lights throughout the shop for general lighting, and a dock light over the lathe works the best for me. Dock lights can use a maximum of a 300 watt bulb and can be positioned to provide light at any angle. I currently use a 150 watt "daylight" bulb and find it provides all the lighting I need. As the bulb is shielded, I do not notice any heat unless I get fairly close and directly in front of the light.

Dave Rudy
12-07-2007, 9:54 AM
Paul,

Could you provide more info? What is a "dock light" (I saw the picture but not sure what defines dock light). Where do you get it? What does it cost?

Thanks

Dave

John W. Willis
12-07-2007, 9:56 AM
I only have two small windows in my shop so very little natural light. I have overhead fluorescents for general lighting. For my task/lathe light I use a compact fluorescent, 30w=120watt super daylight, full spectrum in the 6400 range. It's mounted in one of those cheap aluminum reflector-clamp lights.

It is amazing the difference it makes in showing the natural colors. I didn't go looking for this type of bulb but had it to take pictures with in my photo tent and pressed it into service when I was out of incandescent bulbs. I use it all of the time now.

Bonnie Campbell
12-07-2007, 10:28 AM
After seeing the difference between 'daylight' fluorescent and regular, I'll never buy another regular fluorescent bulb/tube.

Steve Schlumpf
12-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Greg - I have two overhead U-shaped fluorescents that are located above each end of the lathe. For task lighting I (like John stated above) have a compact 'daylight' bulb in one of those ultra cheap aluminum reflectors that I just clamp to whatever at the time to highlight the turning. Works well for me and when I don't require it anymore I just unclamp and move out of the way.

Jay Kilpatrick
12-07-2007, 11:53 AM
...now manufactured and sold by Oneway.
~Jay

Paul Andrews
12-07-2007, 12:04 PM
Dave,

A Dock light is used to light the interior of a trailer to provide illumination for unloading. Since the unloading occurs at a dock, I guess that is where it derives the name. There are two or three brands and I can not recall their names. If you google dock light you should find sources. New from the manufacture they run $150 - 300. I found mine new on Ebay for $85. Have seen some for as low as $40. They come in various sizes and types. I use a 60" with the two arms which provides the best flexibility for positioning.

Greg Just
12-07-2007, 6:04 PM
Thanks Paul - I found this Dock Light at Grainger

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2V537

Jude Kingery
12-07-2007, 6:07 PM
Hi Greg, I'm with Jay on this one; the Moffat lights on Gary Sanders' stands are what I use. Outstanding, flexible for focus and heat sink/bulb guard. I've been very pleased. Jude

Paul Engle
12-07-2007, 6:29 PM
Greg, thats the kind of lite used at work on the shiping dock. each bay has one w/ 300 watt lite. they work pretty good and will stand a certain amount of abuse (fork lift , doors etc.) look for the " rough service " bulbs as their filiments a little stronger and resist breaking when the fixture get slamed . Cost a little more .... hope this helps.