PDA

View Full Version : I had 3 bullets in the gun......yesterday I pulled the trigger for the 3rd time....

Ken Fitzgerald
12-06-2007, 9:43 PM
I've been working with Onieda since last week. I sent them a drawing of my shop layout and they recommended a properly sized system and then I paid them the engineering fee to design the ducting system.

My 2.5 H/P Super Dust Gorilla was shipping today.:)

My gun is out of bullets and my billfold is out of money....:o

But I still have plastic....:D

David Duke
12-06-2007, 9:46 PM
Good for you Ken and yes plastic ALWAYS works can get you in trouble though!!!!!!!!!!!

I think your really gonna like your Oneida system, isn't the duct design cost waived if you purchase the duct work from Oneida?

Don Bullock
12-06-2007, 9:47 PM
Congratulations Ken. I hope you enjoy that new "monster" that's on the way. Hopefully he'll keep your shop clean for you.

Bernie May
12-06-2007, 9:50 PM
those of us who are a step or two behind financially, spacewise, timewise, or skillwise certainly enjoy living vicariously on those of you who are able to expand your tool set. Keep buying and telling us so those of us who sit on the side can enjoy your joy.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Thanks guys! The Dust Gorilla's color will go good with my new Mustard lathe!

Bernie,

I'm really not that well off. I'm getting ready to retire in 2 years and took out a loan against my 401K. In 2 years....the loan is paid off and I"m retired. I wanted to get the shop outfitted and paid off before my income is reduced.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-06-2007, 10:17 PM
David...the design fee is waived if you buy 3 HP or larger. I probably should have just ordered the 3 hp.......:o

Scott Donley
12-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Not to late to call and change your order :D

David Duke
12-06-2007, 10:25 PM
David...the design fee is waived if you buy 3 HP or larger. I probably should have just ordered the 3 hp.......:o

They must have changed their policy, I bought a 2hp in 2001 and the design cost was waived. Your gonna have a great system that I'm sure you'll be satisfied with though.

Tom Cowie
12-06-2007, 10:27 PM
[quote=Ken Fitzgerald;712237]Thanks guys! The Dust Gorilla's color will go good with my new Mustard lathe!

Hi Ken

Great job on the DC. I would also like to know how you like your lathe when you have time to post a review.

Thanks

Tom

Ken Fitzgerald
12-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Tom.....This Saturday, if the day/night job permits, I hope to uncrate and get my new MM-16 on the floor and then I've got a couple of things to do to make the lathe ready for use..........Take the paint off the working surfaces of the tool rest.....change the adapter in my SN2......Then I've got some turning to do for the Christmas ornament exchange. I can tell you this.....I have the lathe wired and have spun it up a couple of times. The 2 HP motor sure is quiet and being able to turn the lathe speed down so slow is sure gonna be a boon in roughing out large bowl blanks.

I need to get a little more painting (2nd coat) done before the DC arrives because once it's in place ......I won't be able to get behind it. It is supposed to arrive next Friday.

Sunday....I hope to be spinning again!

Gary Keedwell
12-06-2007, 10:55 PM
Ken...hope your new unit works as efficient as a Tom Brady offense.;):D
Gary

Ken Fitzgerald
12-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Gary......Yeah but I hope it doesn't sputter and just make it to the end.......and have to "cheat" to get the job done.....:D

But if it does....I'll put a red star on it........

Gary Keedwell
12-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Well, I was trying to be nice but you have to watch out because you might get a miami Dolphin lemon.;):D
Gary

Ken Fitzgerald
12-06-2007, 11:34 PM
I suppose you could tape me in a chair and make watch the Seattle SeaSquabs play..............:eek::rolleyes::D

frank shic
12-07-2007, 12:19 AM
ken what were the other two bullets aimed at?

Ken Fitzgerald
12-07-2007, 12:26 AM
Frank.......I bought a PM3520B lathe and a MM-16 bandsaw. I've been catching grief here and at another site because both of those have been sitting in my shop for over a month now while I painted and finished the electrical, installing lights, etc. I have had some health issues with vertigo which seems to be in control now with some medicine and the job that I have often forces me to work weekends, nights and weekdays. The idiots here sent me a Jet VS Mini 23 months ago and all I've done is turn since then until September when I tore that lathe and temporary bench down to finish the shop. I ordered the lathe and the b/s and have been finishing the shop since. I know that once I start turning again....everything else comes to a halt when you in the Zone....the Vortex as it's known.

frank shic
12-07-2007, 10:10 AM
wow, those bullets must be made of diamonds! have fun, ken!

Steve Clardy
12-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Don't make me have to come to Idaho and uncrate and hook those things up now. :(:eek:

:D:D:D

lou sansone
12-07-2007, 1:52 PM
good choice on the DC and best wishes
lou

Chuck Burns
12-07-2007, 5:49 PM
Ken,
You'll lov the2.5 HP Dust Gorrilla. I just got mine up and wotking about 10 days agoand it is amazing.

I considered the 3 HP too. The main diffence was in the shipping. They had a 99 deal to ship everything out (all 8 boxes at 354 pounds - big enough that UPS sent out a special truck to drop them off - they had nothing but my DC on board!) for 2.5 HP or less. But the 3 HP had to go motor carrier for another 170 or so more. And then there was the additional cost of the 3 HP. It just seemed that the 2.5 HP was in the wallet "sweet spot"; not much more than the 2 HP but enough cheaper than the 3 HP.

Oneida assured me that in a 1 man shop the 2.5 would be ideal. My concern was that it be able to function well with the TS and Jointer running at the same time. They said I'd be fine but that in a small commercial shop with an employee and where three machines might be running at the same time the 3 HP would be needed.

I added the remote control and the bag-gripper to mine.

Chris Padilla
12-07-2007, 5:51 PM
Uhm, pics?!

Joe Mioux
12-07-2007, 9:29 PM
Uhm, pics?!

It's nice to see at least "one" of the picture police is patrolling the streets again.;)

Joe Mioux
12-07-2007, 9:33 PM
Ken are you sure you did the right thing?

Lets get this color thing straight.

you have "white" bread colored walls and a " American Cheese" colored DC.

Wouldn't it have been better with a bit of Mayo?

joe

p.s. I just dread thinking what mfr would paint a tool "Ham" pink

or were you going for that grilled cheese look with that Mustard colored lathe?

Bill Wyko
12-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Ken.....I like your style:D Go big or go home.;) I'm really looking forward to seeing some goodies from you soon. Congrats on doing it right.