PDA

View Full Version : Discovered 22CBG Jointer Plane

Steveo O'Banion
12-06-2007, 9:06 PM
I was cleaning out my shop and stumbled on some of my dads old tools and discovered a Millers Falls 22CBG jointer plane.

It's still in the original box and practically unused, it still has tape on the handle from packing and was wrapped in tissue paper. I tested it on a sticking door and wow, it's sharp! It looks brand new, it's not.

Unfortunately pappy died before he could bestow his hand plane knowledge upon me so I don't have much skill or knowledge in this area. (I spent five minutes trying to plug it in):D

Does an old plane like this have any real value, beyond a few bucks on ebay? If not, I'll just set it on display in my shop to gather dust with some of my other old tools.

Steve

Bill Houghton
12-06-2007, 9:37 PM
but the emotional value seems like it'd be pretty high.

The only way you get skill or knowledge of hand tools is using them - and you'll find a whole new range of woodworking opening up if you do.

Otherwise, keep it waxed to keep it shiny, and pass it on to your kids when you're done with it.

Joe Meazle
12-06-2007, 9:40 PM
I think MF made very fine planes (better than Stanleys of the same time period, in some cases, IMHO). There are MF collectors out there. I hate to say it but I am one of them. I like to think of myself as user but at last count I had about 21 MF planes. I just bought one last week too. Condition and original packaging always drive up the price of a plane. I have no way of knowing what the expected value of the plane would be.

Did your dad work with any government agencies? The "g" is supposed to indicate a government contract model.

My dad was a wood worker and I have precious few of his tools he died when I was only 10. I doubt the plane could have more value to some one else than it does to you.

Here is link to a MF web site. It has a decent price guide. And will explain the letters.

http://www.oldtoolheaven.com/index.html

Marcus Ward
12-06-2007, 9:42 PM
Are ya kidding?? That's an awesome and incredibly useful plane. Analogous to a stanley #7 corrugated jointer, that'd be my favorite plane. I use mine a LOT for panel and edge jointing. Probably worth quite a few bucks on ebay, but don't sell it, use it. It's an heirloom.

Joseph N. Myers
12-06-2007, 9:44 PM
Steve,

Do a Google Search. I put in 22cb and got http://www.toolsrules.com/PLANES.htm.

They have one in excellent condition for $195.

Regards, Joe

Steveo O'Banion
12-07-2007, 8:02 AM
I'm signing up for a plane care and use class at the Woodcrafter Store in January.

A good friend and I got into a short period of serious hand tool use, even breaking out some old wood planes he had. We taught ourselves how to sharpen and use the planes and even did some hand cut dovetails. Then we stopped doing that! Life got a little too busy.

Thanks for the feedback.

Steve (A Neanderthal Wannabe)

Doug Shepard
12-07-2007, 8:17 AM
Keep that puppy. You'll kick yourself for selling it the first time you want to flatten something wider than your Jointer or Planers capacity.

Greg Cole
12-07-2007, 9:52 AM
I'd kick myself for selling something that was my fathers, period.
The fact that's it's an heirloom style item that is very useful & useable makes it worth keeping... use it and take care of it and send it up to the next branch of the family tree eventually.

Greg

Dave Anderson NH
12-07-2007, 7:07 PM
Quality aside, and MF made better planes than Stanley, it has value because it's from the family. I can't begin to tell you how I feel being the custodian of 2 chests of hand tools handed down in my family. The tools range all the way back from as far as 7 generations, to the Stanley Handyman smoother my Grandfather gave my Dad upon graduation from law school. The Handyman planes were generally speaking mediocre quality at best, but that does not detract from the fact that it does work and it has a family history. If you sell it you will be very sorry some time down the road and regret your mistake. Use it or display it proudly in the shop as a reminder of your Dad. I get shivers every time I take a certain Stanley #3 from 1876 off the display shelf and take a swipe along the face of a board. It still has the severely shortened original blade razor sharp and the initals JA Jr drilled into the left cheek. At least once a year I make a point of using the plane purchased by James Anderson Jr my G-G-Great Grandfather. It's my connection to my family roots and a source of great pride to me. Some day it will belong to my son and later my Grandson now 14.

Zahid Naqvi
12-07-2007, 7:16 PM
Steve, if I were you I'd never sell it, even if you have no plans to use it. The $200 or so resale value will probably not make a big dent in your bottom line, but the fact that it comes from your father is priceless.

Listen to what Dave said.