PDA

View Full Version : Newbie at conversion hvlp

chris yount
12-06-2007, 8:45 PM
I'm just getting started spraying paint finishes on my projects.I got tired of time consumed and poor quality of finishing with a brush or roller.
So far my learning curve has been fairly steep because I've painted everything from bedroom and living furniture to plantation shutters I'm building in the 3 months since I began.I started with a cup sprayer and I got decent fishes but the overspray was unbelievable.So i bought a hvlp gun and have been getting good results but it's taking a few more coats (3 or 4) to cover and get an adequate finish. I can live with this to cut back on overspay, I'm just wondering if this is normal?
Thanks in advance for your help,
chris

Curt Harms
12-09-2007, 7:57 PM
Hi Chris

I'm far from an expert but here's my experience. I use a Porter Cable PSH1 gun. It has 3 controls-air control on the bottom of the handle that I never touch, fan width control on the side, and a knob that controls how far the needle opens. The further the needle retracts when You squeeze the trigger, the more material comes out. Too little material may dry before flowing out(orange peel?), won't produce a "wet coat" and will take more coats. Too much material and it'll be prone to running. That's what I think and I could be full of it.;)

HTH

Curt

keith ouellette
12-09-2007, 8:19 PM
I had the same experience as curt. I have a cheap asian hvlp gun. I did work with a guy who was spraying 800 ft of rails at a hotel with a very expensive commercial hvlp set up. It didn't take multiple coats but he did have do go very slow compared to when he used the high pressure (heavy overspray and blowback) gun.

chris yount
12-09-2007, 11:48 PM
I am getting a wet coat but I really have to be careful with runs.I've found that thinner coats aren't as prone to sagging.I guess thats a trade off i will have to live with.
Thanks for your help