PDA

View Full Version : routing MDF

Marc Prudhomme
12-06-2007, 8:45 PM
How bad is this stuff.Will I die if I inhale to much of this crap.I started to route a 2'high x 1/2' deep recess for my woodworking vice in my new triple laminated MDF workbench.I have vacuum attatchments for my circular saw but not for my router.Do you think wearing a dust mask and running my air filter system will be enough to finish the recess?
Marc

Tim Morton
12-06-2007, 8:52 PM
How bad is this stuff.Will I die if I inhale to much of this crap.I started to route a 2'high x 1/2' deep recess for my woodworking vice in my new triple laminated MDF workbench.I have vacuum attatchments for my circular saw but not for my router.Do you think wearing a dust mask and running my air filter system will be enough to finish the recess?
Marc

I think you may want to do better than that if you can. Can you fabricate a down draft table? What kind of dust mask?

Paul Greathouse
12-06-2007, 8:55 PM
Marc

Not only is it bad for your lungs but it is hard on your bits and blades too. I dulled a decent 3" raised panel bit on the stuff a few years ago on a large bathroom/Utility room cabinet job. I wear a good canister type dust mask when I work with MDF.

Mike Cutler
12-06-2007, 8:59 PM
Marc

You probably won't die, immediately, but MDF is some pretty nasty stuff to be inhaling.
Any chance you can complete it outside? If not, then buy the best dustmask you can afford, and maybe enlist a helper to hold a vac right at the router.
I hate working with MDF, but it's a great product.

Carroll Courtney
12-06-2007, 9:17 PM
Marc,as stated by others its is dusty as heck and will make a mess of things even w/ the best dust collectors.Dull bits and your blades faster than wood.But I like it! After routing it leave nice crisp edges,no chip out and no splinters,its flat.Cut out nice curves with large dia. And it will run you about 18-20 dollars a sheet.I use it to make paint grade projects when the budget is alittle tight and the design allows it.Its not for every project,but its good for some. I do ware a mask and have a fan blowing towards the outside and a vac going.I don't thing its anymore or anyless danger using it over wood products.

Greg Just
12-06-2007, 9:49 PM
I routed some doors a few years ago outside - didn't care about all the dust, and there was a lot of dust. Paints up real well.

Norman Pyles
12-06-2007, 10:13 PM
I will only use a router with MDF outside. Can't stand the dust it makes. I have a portable router table to take outside with it. If you route off 3 sq in you will create 3000 sq in of dust.:) But it does machine very well, and I do use it.

frank shic
12-06-2007, 10:16 PM
mark, get a cyclone separator so the mdf dust doesn't clog up your shop vac's filter and definitely wear your dust mask.

Stan Smith
12-06-2007, 10:42 PM
The dust is really intense from it, IMHO. Just routing out an insert in my TS wing really produced the dust. I have a vacuum hookup on my router fence and that really helps.

Todd Jensen
12-07-2007, 12:30 AM
As a stair carpenter that now deals minimally with mdf, I started as a production finish carpenter 10 years ago and bathed in it daily. In my personal opinion, MDF is the next asbestos. The fibrous microscopic dust it produces when milled, routed, sawn, etc. is very invasive, and I've gotten rashes on my forearms from it when production cutting(just from the dust settling on them). Anyways thats my 2 cents - I'd do everything possible to minimize exposure to it - skin, lungs, eyes, everything. It is at least as toxic as the MSDS states, if not more so. I believe long term studies will bear my gut feelings. Go into a garage that has a fresh mdf millwork pack dropped and breathe deep.... Ok, I won't go on, but as you can tell I feel very strongly about the toxicity of MDF.

glenn bradley
12-07-2007, 12:51 AM
I routed my MDF top to allow my vises to mount. MDF machines well, is hard on your cutters and harder on your lungs. If you have a real respirator http://www.coopersafety.com/showimage.axd?id=449&W=150&H=104 (http://www.coopersafety.com/item/100539/3M-7500-Series-Half-Mask-Respirator.aspx)
I would not worry. A paper nuisance mask is probably inadequate. Some folks are bothered by the dust respirator or not. It makes them itch. I suppose it is a reaction to the binder just as some folks react to the oils in coca bola or walnut. I open the gara. . . er, shop door and run my ambient filter and go to town.

I do not have a problem with it but then, fiberglas doesn't really bother me either. Don't take your mask off till the air has had a good chance to clear. MDF makes like talcum powder and hangs in the air for quite awhile. My industrial body-style routers have no method of DC. I call them snow blowers. I'm not saying don't use MDF; I use it quite a bit, just take care.