PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where to find a spacer block for a 1442

Bill Wyko
12-06-2007, 7:43 PM
I don't have a need for it yet but i know the day is comming. Business has been slow so a vb36 is still down the road a little so I was thinking about a spacer block of 1-1/2 inches to 2 inches for my JET 1442.

Alex Elias
12-06-2007, 8:00 PM
I recentry saw the program call Woodworks with David Mark and he show how to turn some bowls. He used a piece of solid aluminum to raise the head and tail about 2". Try to go the DIY website and look at the show.
I hope that helps.
Alex

Jim Becker
12-06-2007, 8:16 PM
I toyed with doing this for the OneWay 1018 I owned prior to buying my Stubby. It can (and has) been done, but the precision machining required, particularly for the tail stock, to make it work well, was more than I was willing to pay for.

Raymond Overman
12-06-2007, 11:07 PM
I used corian for my old delta. It's not pretty but it does the job. it was a bear getting the tailstock right but was worth it when it was done. I went from 11" to 16" of swing.

Gordon Seto
12-06-2007, 11:55 PM
I am shooting from the dark. I would be more comfortable doing the modification on an old Delta. That was the era when US machines were over design and were built to last.
In order to be price competitive in the lower price range, I really doubt Jet would design the 1442 with excess capacity to spare. Besides horse power, I am afraid the bearings, head stock and casting would handle the extra weight from turning over size blanks. When you are turning larger pieces, you may want slower speed than the Reeves drive is capable.

Gordon

Alex Elias
12-06-2007, 11:58 PM
I am shooting from the dark. I would be more comfortable doing the modification on an old Delta. That was the era when US machines were over design and were built to last.
In order to be price competitive in the lower price range, I really doubt Jet would design the 1442 with excess capacity to spare. Besides horse power, I am afraid the bearings, head stock and casting would handle the extra weight from turning over size blanks. When you are turning larger pieces, you may want slower speed than the Reeves drive is capable.

Gordon

Thant makes sence, I think 2" might not be that big of a deal. 5" on the other hand I think is a bit much. But hey seems like it worked for some others.

Bill Wyko
12-07-2007, 12:40 PM
Thanks everyone. with segmenting you have the luxury of starting with a good balance so the HP shouldn't be an issue. i do have friends in the machining business so I'll talk to them. I was hoping there was something off the shelf.

Wilbur Pan
12-07-2007, 3:49 PM
I haven't seen this in person, but I've seen pictures of lathes using wooden blocks as risers. This should be doable, since we are woodworkers, after all. ;)