PDA

View Full Version : Contractor Saw DC Question

Hal Peeler
02-18-2004, 10:37 AM
Has anyone ever used magnetic sign material over the back of their contractor saw to cover the back? I thought it might be easy to put on and take off but was wondering if it is too flimsy (sp?) and might get sucked into the saw. Thanks in advance.
Hal

Dave Sweeney
02-18-2004, 11:11 AM
I didn't use the sign material for the whole enclosure but I did use magnetic strips to secure the hardboard cutout I made to enclose the back. Works like a charm for me. My enclosure consists of two pieces and neither have ever fallen off or for that matter even moved once positioned. I used Titebond Poly Glue to secure the magnetic strips to the hardboard.

Daniel Rabinovitz
02-18-2004, 11:13 AM
Hal
In the back of my feeble brain, I thought that I read somewhere that someone used that stuff on the back of their contractors saw. It should be strong enough. to resist the suction.
BUT you also have to allow for "make up" air, so don't close it off all the way. Make your holes to direct suction where the sawdust lies.
Daniel :cool:

Kevin Hirata
02-18-2004, 1:38 PM
Like Dave, I used two pieces of hardboard to enclose the back. I countersunk rare earth magnets into the hardboard. Only problem is that I have to remove the hardboard any time I tilt the blade.

Chris Padilla
02-18-2004, 2:01 PM
Hey! A fellow Bay-Area-er! Cool...Welcome to SMC, Kevin (that is my bro's name).

Kurt Aebi
02-18-2004, 2:55 PM
I use 1/8" masonite peg board so that there is plenty of air inlets. I just tape off whatever I need to get good suction, but not starve the DC.

Bart Leetch
02-18-2004, 4:19 PM
I have the back of my contractors saw closed in but the piece of plywood is slotted to let the belt & motor support rods move. Then I made a piece of plywood with 2 holes to slide over the motor support rods that moves with the rods which allows everything to move ok but does leave part of the slotted area open. Both the cover & movable piece need to be designed to fit your particular saw.

I use 2 old bolts with the heads cut off clamped into where the motor support rods stick out the back of the saw. I left them sticking out enough that when I taped the board to the back of the saw I could tilt the saw a little bit at a time & tap on the plywood with a hammer & make an impression on the back side of the plywood to indicate where to make the cut out.

Tyler Howell
02-18-2004, 7:38 PM
Hal,
I tried it and it would stay put. I finally duck taped cardboard to the back for my best fit yet