PDA

View Full Version : Resources for Making small planes

Tom Sherman
12-06-2007, 3:24 PM
My eldest son is becoming more and more interested in woodworking and has limited budget. He is interested in learning to make things like rabbitplanes and moulding planes. Some time ago I saw some info on such projects in a book, but I don't recall the title, does anyone know if I am just growing old and senile or does this info exist and if it does can you point me in the right direction. TIA

Lewis Moon
12-06-2007, 3:25 PM
Try St. James Bay Tool Company for rough kits.

Tristan Raymond
12-06-2007, 3:49 PM
There's David Finck's Making & Mastering Wood Planes which I recently bought but haven't read yet. I believe that it contains more theory than actual plans. The other book I was looking into was John Whelan's Making Traditional Wooden Planes which from the reviews that I've read is a more practical guide to making specific planes based original designs.

Pam Niedermayer
12-06-2007, 6:48 PM
You may want to check out the Hock Plane Kit, all parts and directions.

Pam

Matt Bickford
12-06-2007, 7:05 PM
Larry Williams just released a video through Lie Nielsen entitled "Making Side Escapement Planes". If your son intends to make moulding, rabbet beading planes, etc. this is a fantasticly complete video. It is absolutely as thorough of a video as I've ever seen. No detail is left off. It is a little expensive at $40 + shipping. There are a few books I've read that tackle krenov style laminated bench planes. I don't recall the name off the top of my head.

Rick Whitehead
12-06-2007, 7:47 PM
There's another book: Making Traditional Wooden Planes by John M. Whelan.
It gives details on making everything from a laminated plane a la Krenov to a handled screw-arm plow plane.

Zahid Naqvi
12-06-2007, 9:05 PM
If he hasn't made any planes before I'd suggest start with something like a smooth plane, using the Krenov style lamination method presented in David Fink's book. molding planes and rabbit planes are not that easy to make mainly because they are very narrow and do not have much room to manuver chisels and such. They also require that you be very well versed with the use of chisels and plane floats.
The krenov style planes on the other hand are much easier to make as you can make most of the critical cuts on a table saw and just fine tune with hand tools. They also work wonderfully well once completed.

jonathan snyder
12-07-2007, 1:18 AM
Tom,

Look for a book called How to Make WoodWork Tools by Charles Hayward. It covers the making of about a dozen different planes as well as many other tools.

There used to be a PDF file of this book marked "fair use publication 2006 Gary Roberts" floating around the Net, But I cant seem to find it any more. Garys site is Toolemera (http://www.toolemera.com/grr/index.html) You might try to contact him and see if the PDF is still available.

JOnathan

Tom Sherman
12-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Another fine example that the CREEK rocks thanks all for your assistance, I believe that I have enough info to get him going. Thanks Johnathan for the PM I'll get back with you if I can't find what I'm looking for.

Eddie Darby
12-07-2007, 5:03 PM
All you have to do is click on the cover of the book. This is not very clearly marked out by a tag reading "click here" or whatever.

http://www.toolemera.com/bkpdf/haywardhowtoBK.pdf

found on this page:

http://www.toolemera.com/grr/Books%20%26%20Booklets/booksplans.html

Thanks for the nice site!:)