PDA

View Full Version : Rejoice With Me

Carl Eyman
02-18-2004, 10:26 AM
As some of you know I've been engaged in making the second five of ten dining chairs for family. The first five were delivered in July after about five months of construction. The second five I picked up from the auto paint shop Yesterday. Why did the first five take five months and the second seven? Well, wife's broken hip kept me out of the shop a while and qfter I put the seal coat of shellac over the dye it blushed. Etc. But yesterday I picked up the chairs and the spray job was great, no signs of the blush, various bo-bos well hidden. Happy day, right? When I brought them to the upolsterer I couldn't find the fabric left from the first batch. Talk about sleepless nights. Last night was one. But this morning, voila. I found it. I've loaned my camera; so can't post, but the original five and the table they were made for are at www.eyman.org/chairs Thanks for listening to an old guy issue a sigh of relief.

Richard Gillespie
02-18-2004, 10:58 AM
Congratulations on finishing the project. It sounds like you persevered through while taking care of some other responsibilities. I know you feel relieved.

The reason I say that is, for reasons not as good as yours, I was a year late delivering my son's wedding present. Boy was I glad to have that behind me.

Daniel Rabinovitz
02-18-2004, 11:19 AM
Carl
They are absolutely beautiful .
Just georgeous.
Daniel :cool:

Dennis Peacock
02-18-2004, 11:39 AM
Carl......

I stand in amazement of the very fine work you have done. Did you do all that carving and hand carved feet? What kind of wood is that? Can an ol Fart like me learn how to do that? :confused:

Chris Padilla
02-18-2004, 11:52 AM
Wow, wow, Wow! :eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
02-18-2004, 12:41 PM
Just plain GORGEOUS!

Roger Fitzsimonds
02-18-2004, 12:51 PM
Carl , those are just awsome.

You are an inspiration to the rest of us. excellant work.

Roger

Dave Anderson NH
02-18-2004, 4:29 PM
Obviously you made it back from the Williamsburg conference alright and have been pretty productive since then. I'm sure they turned out just as well as the table and the first 5 chairs. Congratulations on a job well done.

Bob Lasley
02-18-2004, 5:07 PM
Carl,

I do believe you're gettin' good at chair makin'! No, no..........you've become a master at chair making! Those are absolutely beautiful.

Congratulations on finishing the second batch and finding the fabric for them!

Bob

Carl Eyman
02-18-2004, 5:20 PM
Thank you all for kind words. With good how-to books by Ron Clarkson, for example, and a good video on carving ball & claw feet by Phil Lowe it's possible, And what whipersnaper is calling himself old? Hey I think there's only one member of this forum older that I.

Dave, I've been told by my best (non-paying) customer it is time to start on the clock. No rest for the weary.

Oh the wood is mahogany - just about the easiest there is to carve