PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening everything in my shop

Larry Browning
12-06-2007, 1:08 PM
I have been looking for an inexpensive solution to getting stuff sharpened in my shop. I don't have a lot of stuff that needs regular sharpening, but I do have some. I have about 5 or 6 bench chisels, 1 low angle block hand plane, 8" jointer knives, and 12" planer blades. My table saw blades are carbon tipped so I will have those sharpened by someone else.
In this case the definition of inexpensive is in the $200 - $300 range. Closer to $200 is preferred.
The Worksharp 3000 seems pretty good for the chisels, but from what I can tell, it can't handle the jointer and planer blades at all. Is there some other machine can handle both chisels and planer blades in this price range?
The tormak is just too expensive for my blood. Unless I am missing something, that thing will cost me over $600 to get the basic unit and the jigs needed to sharpen jointer/planer blades. Sorry, that's just out of my range.

Eddie Darby
12-06-2007, 2:49 PM
I would try the Scary Sharp system and splurge with a granite surface plate instead of float glass. Very Cheap.

Randal Stevenson
12-06-2007, 3:29 PM
For my hand tools I use the Norton waterstones (got the combo ones at a woodworking show). If it were me, I would ask the blade sharpener if they do planer and jointer blades as well. Then buy a second set of each so your not waiting on them.

Ken Glass
12-06-2007, 3:36 PM
Larry,
I bought the Worksharp WS3000 this spring and have been amazed at the quickness and quality of the sharpening it does. I would say, without a doubt, it is the best I have ever used. The price most places is $199.00. I was able to sharpen all my chisels and plane irons in just several hours.

Larry Browning
12-06-2007, 3:47 PM
I would try the Scary Sharp system and splurge with a granite surface plate instead of float glass. Very Cheap.
I already am using this system, and am looking for something a little faster and also something I can sharpen jointer & planer blades with.

Bill White
12-06-2007, 3:48 PM
Makita horizontal sharpener. Simple, quick, inexpensive. What else do ya want?
Bill

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-06-2007, 6:13 PM
bench stones are cheap and work great.

I have some metal belts for my sanders that I use occasionally to do serious stock removal but as with any abrasive paper sharpening ya gotta stone it afterward to get the rolled edges off.

michael osadchuk
12-06-2007, 7:10 PM
......I have the Makita 9820 horizontal water stone wheel and it will safely and reliably sharpen jointer and planer blades up to 16" (as well as plane irons and chisels with a Lee Valley honing guide set up on a scrap ply platform level with the sharpening wheel) ..... but find that it is overkill/involves more set up time than using a Lee Valley honing guide and a couple of retangular water stones....... so I'd be left with the question is it really cost effective to spend several hundred dollars to sharpen jointer and planer blades at home (instead of buying a second set of each and sending the other set for sharpening at your leisure).... even if you really love the process of sharpening tools, a set of water stones and the nifty Lee Valley honing guide (Mk. 2!) will probably be sufficient fun....
..... just my opinion

Eddie Darby
12-07-2007, 6:01 PM
I already am using this system, and am looking for something a little faster and also something I can sharpen jointer & planer blades with.

This will allow you to do jointer blades by hand on Scary Sharp.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=33002&cat=1,43072,43078

They say one will do up to 8" blades, but I'm guessing that two of them hooked up side by side, might do a 13" planer blade.

I think that the most demanding job is planer blades, and so to do them on a machine can get expensive.

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?&NETID=1812191207071657298&NTITEM=B2337

Michael Pfau
12-07-2007, 7:04 PM
Larry, I use the Worksharp system for handtools, and plane irons. The planer knives on my delta planer, are double sided and throwaways. For 40 bucks, I get another set maybe once a year. The jointer knives I take to the saw shop, very cheap for them to sharpen, and they come out great.

Kelly Anderson
12-07-2007, 9:27 PM
I have a Makita 9820-2 & accessories for sale. I am in SW MO near the border so shipping may be reasonable. Send me a pm if you are interested.

Todd Jensen
12-07-2007, 9:32 PM
I use the Scary Sharp wheels on an $80 adjustable delta 2 wheel grinder. It is easy, works fantastic, I've used it for 3 years now with plenty of life to go(chisels, plane blades, carving tools, etc.), and was about $150 total for the setup.

Bob Hoffmann
12-07-2007, 9:43 PM
Larry,

You are looking for something faster then the scary sharp system -- I think that you need something to prep the tool before doing the final sharpening.

Why not do the first bit on your belt sander. It is rough, but very fast for getting the nicks out and setting the bevel right. Then just do the final sharpening with scary sharp -- at this point it wioo be only removing the scratches from the belt sander. This should speed things up a lot!

Gary Curtis
12-07-2007, 9:44 PM
With the relatively small number of your tools, you have the luxury of choosing your method. I initially bought a motorized sharpener after I passed the $60 mark in sandpaper.

But I have nearly 25 chisels alone, and about 15 handplanes. All needing the proper bevel angle set, so my Veritas kept me busy for more than half a day. It is hard to justify the $300-plus for a machine if you don't have a big job to do.

Now that my bevel angles are established, a quick 'brush-up' on a strop is all I need to maintain a sharp edge. The machine sits idle.

Gary Curtis

Todd Jensen
12-07-2007, 11:54 PM
I second Bob's advice, and have often used my orbital or a piece of sandpaper on a piece of hardwood in a pinch.

Larry Browning
12-08-2007, 10:02 AM
I found this a Grizzly

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Universal-Knife-Grinder/G2790

I think it is the same machine as listed by Eddie above.

I guess one option is to get both a Worksharp and one of these. But then that's about $400