PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Oliver machines? Spindle Sander?

John Myers
12-06-2007, 12:55 PM
I've decided what I really need is a spindle sander. In looking around, I came across the Oliver 6910 model. It looks well built. I'm not familiar with Oliver, but see they're located right here in Seattle (where I am)! Can anyone tell me about the quality of their products? Anyone use their spindle sander?

John

Brian Weick
12-06-2007, 1:04 PM
If that is the case- top notch and it doesn't get any better in my eyes-extremely expensive but very reliable. Oliver did have some machines (very,very few) that did have problems but have been producing woodworking equipment since 1903 and still are by Eagle Machinery-is it in good shape and what do they want for it? I am a little biased~ but the proof is on the pudding:D
Brian

John Thompson
12-06-2007, 1:08 PM
The new Oliver is not neccesarily the "old Oliver". The old Oliver was in the class with Northfield.. etc., etc.. and we are talking industrial strengh with commercial intent. I looked over the new Oliver line at IWF in Atlanta fall a year ago. Well made no doubt.. priced above what I felt the machines were really worth in current quality, IMO.

I won't pay extra to have an older, well known.. but defunct machine company name on the side. The original Oliver was made in Wisconsin or Minnesota going on memory. Google for it if you really want to know. I do believe the newer Oliver are made well... but again... ask your dealer and look for yourself to see where they originate from. You get one guess! ;)

Sarge..

Brian Weick
12-06-2007, 1:15 PM
They are not built the same as the older machines- I con cure that fact, Oliver originated in 1903 in grand Rapids Michigan, and was renamed from the "American Machinery Co. at that time to the "Oliver". John is wright about the quality - the newer machines are not built like the older- but still the quality is there with most of the Oliver machinery being produced at the current time.
Brian

John Myers
12-06-2007, 2:10 PM
The spindle sander I'm looking at is from the 'new' Oliver. It certainly looks like a solidly built machine. About $150 more than the comparable Jet floor model from what I can see.

Thank you for the information.

CW McClellan
12-06-2007, 2:34 PM
:DI have aquired recently an Oliver 167 lathe --A1+ have changed from 3 ph to 1HP single ph--Don't want to hurt anyones feeling but I wouldn't trade for a new one less it were a Stubby--this Oliver has 7'bed and will turn up to 19" bowl unless you use outboard--wt around + 500#--well made with Reece drive -- made 1962--- Pics will be later after I :( ha ha ! clean shop up:eek:

Support Sawmill -only $6 donation worth every penny:D

Al Garay
12-06-2007, 3:22 PM
I have been meaning to drive down to SouthCenter (near Costco) to check them out. Same company that does Sunhill Machinery handles Oliver.

Go take the factory tour and report back.

lou sansone
12-07-2007, 1:54 PM
the old oliver spindle sander is a real machine, not sure about the new ones

lou

Chris McKimson
12-07-2007, 3:05 PM
I have been meaning to drive down to SouthCenter (near Costco) to check them out. Same company that does Sunhill Machinery handles Oliver.

Go take the factory tour and report back.

I'm thinking the factory is a whole lot further away then Tukwila. Got a boat?