PDA

View Full Version : Level (price) playing field....

Lewis Moon
12-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Now that the prices of some Lee Valley planes are functionally equivalent to Lie-Nielsens (the LV low angle jack is $199 plus ~$12 shipping and the LN LAJ is $210 with free shipping at FTJ) is anyone changing their choice? For this particular type of plane I still want the LV due to it’s extra weight and blade width, but the lack of price difference gave me pause.
Methinks that Lie-Nielsen is rooting for the strong Canadian dollar;)

Chris Friesen
12-06-2007, 12:53 PM
What really pisses me off is that Lee Valley sells those planes cheaper to Americans than it does to us Canadians. The USD price is about $20 less than the CAD price even though the dollar is roughly par.

I'm sure they locked in the USD price and are now not making as much on US sales, but it's sure annoying. It's enough to make me wish I lived closer to the US border.

And for the Lie-Nielsen vise hardware the Canadian price is 20% higher than the US price, plus another $30 for shipping.

Don C Peterson
12-06-2007, 1:06 PM
I have to admit that I'm quite partial to LN. Although the LV plow plane is calling my name since LN doesn't make one...

I just like the look and feel of the LN's more than the LV planes in general. I've heard good things about LV products and support; I can say from first hand experience that LN goes above and beyond, and for that they have earned my loyalty and admiration.

Joe Meazle
12-06-2007, 10:01 PM
No change here. I love my LV. One advantage is when you look at the battery of BU or LA (bevel up or low angle) planes the Irons on the LV BU Smmother, Jack and Jointer are all the same and interchangable. I do not think this is true of the planes from Maine. Once you have one you will want all three. The other thing it the Norris adjuster which is usually only found on high end British infils. I perfer it to the Bailey style found on LN.
Joe