PDA

View Full Version : All this new lathe talk finally got me....

Paul Heely
12-06-2007, 12:23 PM
All this talk about new lathes was just too much to handle. While I've been very happy with my Jet mini and still think its a great little lathe its getting to be a bit too small.

Even roughed out and hollowed my last couple of natural edge bowl "attempts" had some vibration to them. Roughing out can also be painfully slow. I turned on a club members Nova a couple of months ago and the extra HP was a dream compared to the mini for roughing.

I'm also expecting some cherry that should give me 25"-30" bowl blanks this winter.

So, the solution to all these "problems"....

A nice new PM 3520B should be delivered to my house next week :D:D Ordered the package from Oslonik Machinery with the lathe, 18" extension, remote switch and a curved tool rest.

Of course pictures to be posted once its here.

Raymond Overman
12-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Wow, that'll be a big jump from a mini to a mustard. Congratulations!

Tony De Masi
12-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Congratulations Paul. You will be more than satisfied with that lathe.

Tony

Ken Fitzgerald
12-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Congrats Paul! I've got a brand new one sitting in my shop that I hope to use for the first time this weekend! The mass of the lathe and the quietness of the motor is impressive! I made the same step you did.

Pat Doble
12-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Congratulations Paul, I turned with my new 3520B for the first time last night. ( I know - pics to follow :)) You will love it, once the heavy work of putting it together is done.

Steve Schlumpf
12-06-2007, 1:03 PM
Congrats on taking a big leap into the abyss! Probably saved yourself a lot of money in the long run by not having to upgrade from a mid-sized lathe a couple of years from now. Looking forward to the photos!

Chris Fierro
12-06-2007, 1:05 PM
Somebody's going to have a very nice gloat for the December meeting! See you there and congrats!!

-Chris F

Dennis Peacock
12-06-2007, 1:08 PM
Congrats on the new Mustard Machine!!!!!!!

You're going to fall in love all over again. :D :D :D

Paul Heely
12-06-2007, 1:10 PM
Somebody's going to have a very nice gloat for the December meeting! See you there and congrats!!

-Chris F

Chris, guess I better bring something bigger than pens for show and tell this month.

John Hart
12-06-2007, 1:11 PM
I'm feelin' mighty jealous these days.:D
Congratulations Paul!

David Fried
12-06-2007, 1:26 PM
Congrats!

What are your plans for the mini?

Paul Heely
12-06-2007, 1:44 PM
I'll be keeping the mini for now. I think I'll still use it for buffing as my buffing setup has an extension that threads onto the mini's head stock. I may buy another extension in the future but for now will use that or the morse taper adapter on the PM.

I may also continue to turn pens and stoppers on it. With the bigger tool rest and tail stock on the PM I'm not sure how close I can get the rest to the pens/stopper blank unless I goto a smaller rest. Can't see buying a shorter rest when I still have the mini.

I think it'll also be nice to have the smaller lathe to show someone else how to turn pens and such. I think it has less of an intimidation factor.

Jeffrey Fusaro
12-06-2007, 3:16 PM
that's awesome!

you are making me VERY jealous!

enjoy!

Dan Forman
12-06-2007, 4:07 PM
Congrat's, I predict a long and productive relationship.

Dan

Bob Hallowell
12-06-2007, 6:52 PM
Wow! congrads Big bowls here you come!

ps loved the ornament. I would asked if you like yours but I forgot to ship it. sorry it will go out tommorow.

Bob

Jim Becker
12-06-2007, 8:18 PM
Hot dog!!! (seemed like the right response to be excited about mustard...) Congratulations!

Jon Lanier
12-06-2007, 10:48 PM
Wow, now you can say you've got M & M's in your shop. (mini and mustard)

Pete Jordan
12-06-2007, 11:03 PM
You are going to be so happy!

Bernie Weishapl
12-06-2007, 11:06 PM
Congrats on the new lathe Paul.

Paul Heely
12-07-2007, 9:34 AM
Thanks everyone.

Have to install another 220 outlet this weekend. The one I want to use for the lathe has the dust collector plugged into it, never got around to putting an outlet for the DC in the closet I built for the DC. Fortunately when I built my shop I ran surface mounted conduit for all the electrical so its pretty easy to just pull another set of wires and install an outlet box.

Philip Duffy
12-07-2007, 9:54 AM
Congratulations on your choice of Mustard the Great! Philip

Dave Rudy
12-07-2007, 9:59 AM
I'll be keeping the mini for now. I think I'll still use it for buffing as my buffing setup has an extension that threads onto the mini's head stock.

I may also continue to turn pens and stoppers on it. With the bigger tool rest and tail stock on the PM I'm not sure how close I can get the rest to the pens/stopper blank unless I goto a smaller rest.

Congrats Paul and welcome to the family. I had similar thoughts about the mini, and do in fact use it for buffing. But mustard is so much fun to turn on, it's hard for me to turn even a pen on the little Jet at the moment. I may get over it. On the other hand, I may not . . .