PDA

View Full Version : Chamfer Plane

harry strasil
12-06-2007, 12:15 PM
This is a small woody block plane I converted into a dedicated Chamfer Plane years ago for my demo tool kit. dime for size comparison.

mike holden
12-06-2007, 2:35 PM
Really nice Harry!
Gets my thoughts going -an ece block plane is only $50, make the bevels and side plates myself - an inexpensive version of the LV block plane with the chamfer attachment (and a really inexplensive version of the bridge city tool - grinnn)
Mike

Jay Fields
12-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Harry,

How do you lock in the depth of the chamfer?
It looks like each rail is really two pieces pulled together by the screws (one near each dowel). Am assuming that the dowels are fixed into the body of the block plane.

You make it all look so easy. I keep buying these high dollar tools only to find out later all I needed was a sharp blade lodged in a cleverly executed wood jig. Thanks for sharing again.

j

harry strasil
12-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Arm holes and screw holes drilled first, then slit down the middle of the arm holes with a band saw to give a good friction fit when screws are installed.

I have a stanley chamfer plane. but it is not period correct and I made this little fella before I got the stanley.

Corvin Alstot
12-07-2007, 10:59 PM
I have a stanley chamfer plane. but it is not period correct and I made this little fella before I got the stanley.

The Stanley 72 plane is pretty cool, but which is better?

harry strasil
12-07-2007, 11:03 PM
The Stanley is easier to set. I also have an AMT brass chanfering spoke shave that works well too, as well as chamfering gauges for a draw knife.