PDA

View Full Version : How to rip lumber to expose desired grain

Randy Klein
12-06-2007, 11:40 AM
I saw this video (http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/subscription/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=30040) on FWW. You may have to be an online subscriber to see it, not sure though. It had some good information I haven't seen before on how to rip lumber to expose your desired grain.

For instance, if edge grain is not straight, but is curvy, and you want straight, you scribe a line on the face that is parallel to one of the grains and rip that line. After doing this, the edge grain is now straight.

Interesting stuff. Does anyone else know of a good resource for this type of info?

Jim Becker
12-06-2007, 8:42 PM
I've been doing that for a long time...with an edge guide that rode along the fence on the cabinet saw I used to do and now by clamping the board on my slider's wagon and straight-line ripping it. It's one of the best ways to do a nearly invisible joint on a table top, for example, where you want things to appear like one large, wide board. It also solves the grain runing problems with narrower components like aprons. You use a little more material for a project, but the end justifies the means. A lot.

Randy Klein
12-08-2007, 8:55 AM
Do you know of any resources that discuss this kind of sawing in more detail, or is this the only trick?

Jim Becker
12-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Do you know of any resources that discuss this kind of sawing in more detail, or is this the only trick?

I'm not personally aware of any, but they certainly may exist!