PDA

View Full Version : Laser cut FRP for dye sub??

Mike Ross
12-06-2007, 9:50 AM
Howdy, Have a customer that wants their logo cut out of Rowmark FRP that will then be dye subbed. Anybody try this or care to share some thoughts? My Plastic vendor says Rowmark does not recommend laser cutting this material but they do it in house occasionally. :confused:

FWIW I have a 25W Universal laser. We could use the shopbot but its much easier to hold small parts to the table in the laser.

Thank you,

Mike Ross

bruce cain
12-06-2007, 10:30 AM
I had trouble cutting FRP with the laser so I went with the masonite board. Was able to cut the namebadges out with the laser then sublimated the logo on the front. Customer did not mind that the back of the badge was masonite.

Bruce

David Lavaneri
01-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Mike,

FRP cuts like butter in a routing system. Laser engraving tends to burn the edges, making for a not-so-professional presentation.

David "The Stunt Engraver" Lavaneri

sunil jain
01-11-2008, 10:39 PM
bruce:

hello

i have recently received masonite samples, but could'nt cut in my 25 watt spirit. can you suggest power speed setting to cut masonite.

bruce cain
01-16-2008, 3:45 PM
sunil,
i used 100 power and 1.6 speed.
Maybe your supplier could offer some suggestions for cutting it.

bruce

Mike Ross
01-17-2008, 12:08 AM
Thanks guys, I ended up routing it, and your right. The laser was not the right tool but it came off the router perfect! Looking forward to trying sublimation on masonite.

Mike Ross