PDA

View Full Version : Wanted - Oscillating Sander Recommendations

Steve Mellott
12-06-2007, 9:35 AM
Can someone please recommend a good oscillating sander for light to medium work. I've just spent the better part of a day hand-sanding walnut reindeer (pic attached - I think) and need to find a better way. Thanks.

Steve

Lewis Cobb
12-06-2007, 9:45 AM
Can someone please recommend a good oscillating sander for light to medium work. I've just spent the better part of a day hand-sanding walnut reindeer (pic attached - I think) and need to find a better way. Thanks.

Steve

Steve - Those are nice looking ornaments. Based on the time you took to make them, I am guessing maybe a price of 300 dollars each? :D

I have been looking at osc. sanders myself lately and the JET benchtop unit gets great reviews. It's got a 5 year warranty, the table will tilt if needed, and the spindle will accept a large 3" drum. I think the selection of drums that comes with the unit are up to 2.5" but others may chime in here and correct me on that one.

I almost bought one last week but it turned out the box was too heavy/big to easily check at the airport when I was flying home so I am working a different "angle" to get one now.

Good luck
Lewis

Craig D Peltier
12-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Nice reindeer!
The ridgid one that also turns into a belt sander has only only got good reviews from what I have seen.I havent seen a bad one yet. Im waiting to see one on CL. I think there 200 new.

Mark Patoka
12-06-2007, 10:09 AM
I bought the Delta BOSS when I needed the capability for what you're doing. It's worked great for me. The built-in blower/dust collection bag doesn't work so hot on my unit but hooked up to the shopvac it's more than adequate. I later bought the Ridgid belt/drum sander and it works well also and gives you the tilt table capability. I actually never used the drum sanders by themselves yet, I just end up using the round end of the belt since I'm usually sanding both straight and curved pieces at the same time. It has the 2-1/2" dust port and hooked up to my DC there is next to no dust either.

I've never tried any of the other units but these have easily sufficed for me with light to medium duty demands.

Terre Hooks
12-06-2007, 10:16 AM
I like the Ridgid. I think it would be perfect for "light to medium" work.

Chris Padilla
12-06-2007, 10:36 AM
PC-121 Oscillating/Spindle sander anyone? :D

Danny Thompson
12-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Ridgid oscillating spindle/belt sander. $199. Had mine for 6 months and have been pleased.

Al Willits
12-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Same as Danny, the Ridgid sander has worked very well for me, I built a cabinet to sit it on and store stuff for it and my ROS in it.

Al

Randy Johnson
12-06-2007, 12:17 PM
I have the Jet benchtop, and I've never been happy with it. In a shop in which Jet/Powermatic is the most prevelent brand, it is really the only machine I have a problem with. The action of the sander itself works well enough but I have a LOT of trouble getting new sanding sleeves on. They never seem to want to go on all the way.

Bill White
12-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Ridgid.

Love it.
Bill

Howie French
12-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Jet bench top... I really enjoy using it.

Howie

Don Dorn
12-06-2007, 12:44 PM
I've used a Delta Boss, a Wilton and whatever Harbor Freight has, but there is no comparison, I like my Ridgid the best. Quiet, powerfull, easy to swap sizes, good dust collection, large table, and the belt sander. Very happy with no intent to upgrade.

Tom Cowie
12-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Jet floor model OSS love the extra weight and table size price is the only con. It will take a 4" drum

Ron Kellison
12-06-2007, 3:11 PM
I used to work in the hardware section of Home Depot. The only gripe I ever heard about the Ridgid unit is that HD does not carry the sanding sleeves, and the only in-store replacement we could order was the Ryobi sleeves which didn't fit the largest drum. Other than that, a very good unit for the price.

Wayne Ashing
12-06-2007, 4:02 PM
Just recieved the Griz (Green Twin of the Jet), almost 300# With 25" x 25" cast iron table 10 sizes of spindles 1hp! A considerable step up from my little Ryobi bench top. Thanks Pappa G! Two day delivery right to my shop thanks to Mike with Saia.

Lori Kleinberg
12-06-2007, 4:11 PM
I have the Rigid also. Been very handy for sanding my scroll sawn baskets.

Bret Leishman
12-06-2007, 5:21 PM
Another vote for the Rigid. One of the best tool values. Find myself using the belt sander attachment more than I thought I would.

Al Killian
12-06-2007, 5:33 PM
My wood suppleir has the Grizzly floor model and It is a great machine. I use it often. If you have the room for one this would be the way to go. This way you will not have to worry about the bench top ones with there small tables.

Rick Levine
12-06-2007, 5:59 PM
I have the Jet benchtop, and I've never been happy with it. In a shop in which Jet/Powermatic is the most prevelent brand, it is really the only machine I have a problem with. The action of the sander itself works well enough but I have a LOT of trouble getting new sanding sleeves on. They never seem to want to go on all the way.

Sorry, Randy, I can't disagree with you more. I've had the Jet OSS for several years and even bought the three inch spindle for it and it has performed flawlessly. I haven't had any trouble changing the sleeves on any of the spindles. The only slightly negative thing I can say about it is the dust collection; it could be better but after all it is a sander and supposed to make a lot of dust. I'd still buy one again if I needed to or even the floor model at the right price.

Kevin Groenke
12-06-2007, 5:59 PM
but I have a LOT of trouble getting new sanding sleeves on. They never seem to want to go on all the way.

If you have compressed air, try blowing a stream between the sleeve and the rubber drum to remove/install stubborn sleeves. This is a trick the bike mechanics use to install/remove handlebar grips and works well for sanding sleeves as well.

We recently upgraded from the Delta B.O.S.S. (which was fine for years of light use) to the Grizzly floor model. So far the Grizzly is performing as expected though the included wrenches are worthless, they're soft and they opened up the first time they were used.

g'luck

Michael Stanley
12-06-2007, 6:43 PM
I'll chime in hear for the Ridgid. It's great to be able to switch between belt and spindle. I find myself using the belt for all sorts of odd jobs.

Doug Shepard
12-06-2007, 6:53 PM
No problems with my Delta BOSS except for a tendency for the bottom knurled end of the spindle to chew up the rubber sleeve hole, but that was easily solved by putting a washer under the sleeves. It's quiet and the DC port works surprisingly well. No tilt table capability but I haven't really felt I was missing it. You can often find good sale prices on them with the complete set of sanding sleeves and inserts.

Rob Tolentino
12-06-2007, 7:04 PM
For those of you with the Ridgid, if Home Depot doesn't carry the sanding sleeves - where do most of you acquire yours? Another store, catalog, or internet site? I'm asking because I'm also looking to purchase one after Christmas for some projects I'm working on. Thanks.

Bill Wyko
12-06-2007, 7:35 PM
I have the hi priced jet and the cheapo Ryoby and can't tell the difference other than weight, tilt table and my empty pocket book. All in all I'd say the Ridgid is a great value for the money.

Randy Johnson
12-06-2007, 7:46 PM
Sorry, Randy, I can't disagree with you more. I've had the Jet OSS for several years and even bought the three inch spindle for it and it has performed flawlessly. I haven't had any trouble changing the sleeves on any of the spindles. The only slightly negative thing I can say about it is the dust collection; it could be better but after all it is a sander and supposed to make a lot of dust. I'd still buy one again if I needed to or even the floor model at the right price.

The problem I have is particularly noticeable with the largest size. It starts easily but the further on it goes the tighter it gets and it stops going on completely about 3/4 of the way. Strangely, sleeves for the BOSS (bought by mistake) go on just fine but they are too short. I've tried twisting them on, I've tried talcum powder, nothing so far has worked. I haven't tried Kevin's suggestion of a shot of air yet, but I will.
I'm glad you are happy with your's, as apparently most people are. In my case, changing sleeves has been such a royal pita that I haven't tried using the sander in over a year.
As I said, I think the action of the sander is good, it's just the problem I have getting sleeves on. All of my stationary stuff is WMH, so I ain't knocking the brand. I have considered the possibility that the drums I have for the sander fell through the QC crack.

Ron Jones near Indy
12-06-2007, 8:20 PM
Jet bench top; no problems for about 5 years.:cool:

Art Mann
12-06-2007, 8:24 PM
Here is another vote for the Ridgid belt/spindle sander.

Rick Levine
12-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Randy,

I'm sure you have, and don't take this as an insult, did you loosen the nut at the top of the spindle enough to slip the sleeve on fully? If you have then you may, as you suggested, some faulty spindles or possibly sanding sleeves.

Russell Tribby
12-06-2007, 11:19 PM
I used to work in the hardware section of Home Depot. The only gripe I ever heard about the Ridgid unit is that HD does not carry the sanding sleeves, and the only in-store replacement we could order was the Ryobi sleeves which didn't fit the largest drum. Other than that, a very good unit for the price.

I have the Ridgid and love it. The stores in our area have started carrying the sleeves so that's not an issue in my neck of the woods.

Quinn Kleerekoper
12-06-2007, 11:43 PM
For those of you with the Ridgid, if Home Depot doesn't carry the sanding sleeves - where do most of you acquire yours? Another store, catalog, or internet site? I'm asking because I'm also looking to purchase one after Christmas for some projects I'm working on. Thanks.

Roland Johnson did a review on Spindle sanders in Fine Woodworking # 188.
There is also a free video using the Ridgid sander at the Fine Woodworking site. As far as getting replacement sleeves, I would speak with the store manager at your local HD. If that does not work drop me an e-mail and I can forward it to someone higher up in the HD hierarchy.

Bob Feeser
12-07-2007, 12:00 AM
My vote is for the Jet as well. I bought one from Amazon, and wrote a review, that I really should edit. (A lot of rambling going on, but nevertheless a lot info that you may find interesting) Amazon chose my review as the most helpful on the top. Here is the link. (http://www.amazon.com/JET-708404-Horsepower-Oscillating-Assortment/dp/B00005A3GW/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1197003127&sr=8-1)

Pete Janke
12-07-2007, 1:00 AM
Another vote for Ridgid. :D Meets all my expectations.

Randy Johnson
12-07-2007, 7:35 AM
Randy,

I'm sure you have, and don't take this as an insult, did you loosen the nut at the top of the spindle enough to slip the sleeve on fully? If you have then you may, as you suggested, some faulty spindles or possibly sanding sleeves.

The drum isn't even on the machine when I'm trying to install a new sleeve. It acts like exactly what you suggest, like the screw has bulged out the middle.
The good news is that since the addition of a PM 3520b to the shop I don't need a spindle sander very often anyway.

Dean Baehman
12-07-2007, 11:20 AM
I've been using a Ridgid almost daily for about 8 years and will buy another when it gives up. Being able to convert to a horizontal belt sold me on it in the first place, Sleeves are available from Woodworkers supply and several others online.

Gary Muto
12-07-2007, 12:48 PM
I like my Ridgid O S/belt sander. Quiet althought the dust collection isn't the best. I can purchase sanding drums at the local BORG.

Don Bullock
12-07-2007, 12:49 PM
I have to say that the Rigid meets all my expectations and needs. Yeaterday afternoon I bought one (pictures & gloat later) and it worked great for me this morning right out of the box. One thing that I like is the storage for all the perts and tools are right on the sander's base. I don't have to worry about where I'm going to put the small hex keys, washers, etc. so that they don't get lost. As others have reported the sander is light weight so it's easy to move and store when not in use. It even has handles for picking it up designed into the sides. Thanks to all who sugggested the Rigid.:D

George Summers
12-07-2007, 4:10 PM

I bought some on e-bay. The seller was selling complete sets.

George

Danny Thompson
12-07-2007, 4:39 PM
Ridgid owners (or maybe this is universal),

Do any of you have a problem with sleeves slipping (infrequent for me, but it happens)? What do you do about it?

Eddie Darby
12-07-2007, 5:43 PM
This would be the tool I would use for those deer. You can reach tight places with it.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=31030&cat=1,130,43409

Drums:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=42503&cat=1,42500,42501

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=20196&cat=1,42500,42501