PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice on turning Buffalo Horn pen

Tim Brooks
12-06-2007, 8:16 AM
I have just ordered my first buffalo horn pen blank. Do any of you have advice on turning these? The vendor noted you must soak them for 12 to 15 hours before turning. Is this necessary and are there any other things I should be prepared to address before or during turning?

Thanks for the input.

Harvey M. Taylor
12-06-2007, 9:16 AM
I have turned several buffalo horn pens and never soaked them. Given the nature of the material, I dont see that the water soaks in anyway. I know the ones from Penn State are more brittle than the ones from csusa. Maybe that is why they reccomend soaking theirs. After one trial I went back to csusa.Only a buck or two difference.Put a small fan to one side while turning, that stuff stinks. Be prepared to clear the shavings often.A felt tipped pen tints the light spots really well. Allow plenty of time to dry before applying finish. Max

Wayne Bitting
12-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Tim - I've turned two Polaris pens from PSI's horn. I soaked them as they recommended and it made a big difference. You could tell when I was drilling them out that the water hadn't soaked all the way through and didn't smell too pretty. Some one warned me about them cracking. Sure enough a few weeks later one started to shrink and cracked, the other one is fine. Maybe the water made it shrink?

Tim Brooks
12-06-2007, 2:08 PM
Tim - I've turned two Polaris pens from PSI's horn. I soaked them as they recommended and it made a big difference. You could tell when I was drilling them out that the water hadn't soaked all the way through and didn't smell too pretty. Some one warned me about them cracking. Sure enough a few weeks later one started to shrink and cracked, the other one is fine. Maybe the water made it shrink?

I wonder if a coat of CA glue during the finishing stages would have kept that from happening.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be a bad idea. I am making a pen, pen holder, letter opener, and magnifying class out of it. :confused:

CW McClellan
12-06-2007, 2:18 PM
I have turned Ivory -horn-bone and antler
Did not soak--yes it is going to smell :eek:
SHARP TOOLS :D
1-- use fan at your back and dust mask :(
2--do not be aggressive turning -light cuts (give heat
time to escape) :)

3-do not get thin as you would wood--as it will heat
and crack :mad:
They are worth the time and aggrivation :):)
I finish with Myland finish or bees wax after sanding to 600 grit :cool:
Have fun :p

Wayne Bitting
12-06-2007, 3:24 PM
Funny you say that - the one that didn't crack had a coat of CA on it and the one that cracked, didn't.