PDA

View Full Version : How to convert Clip art from color to Black and White?

Zeev Goldin
12-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Hi always wanted to know how to do that.I am using the Corel photo paint
Also I am novice so step by step instruction would really help.
Thanks

Rodne Gold
12-06-2007, 3:24 AM
Import the clipart
It will either bring up the "convert to bitmap" screen or you have to select convert to black and white/greyscale (under image)
In the screen you will have "colour mode" , select black and white or greyscale - whichever suits you

Mike Null
12-06-2007, 5:51 AM
Zeev

There are dozens of free sites on the internet which offer tutorials. Here are two of my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=alexisgalvez&p=r

http://www.unleash.com/

Mike Mackenzie
12-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Zeev,

What system do you have? On the Universal all you have to do is put the driver into Clipart Mode. Thats all it will convert everything for you automatically.

Zeev Goldin
12-06-2007, 12:56 PM
I have an Epilog machine.

Rodne Gold
12-06-2007, 1:18 PM
I just thought of something - do you want to convert to black and white and still maintain it in vector format? Or convert it to a black and white bitmap?
2 different things altogether.

Zeev Goldin
12-06-2007, 1:48 PM
uuuu well i dont know how to distinguish.
I have a clip art from the web that I really like now it is in color I want to convert it to black and white so I can engrave it on a metal using the cermark solution.
I need the whole clip art to be black and white not grey color or things in between.

Zeev

Mike Null
12-06-2007, 2:21 PM
Zeev

If you're dealing with a bitmap image open it in PhotoPaint and in the menu bar click on "image" then convert to black and white. If you find that the black is where the white should be you can invert the image from another place on the bar.

If you right click on the image then click properties it will tell you what kind of image it is next to the format line.

If it is a vector file you can work on it in CorelDraw.

Bill Cunningham
12-06-2007, 9:07 PM
uuuu well i dont know how to distinguish.
I have a clip art from the web that I really like now it is in color I want to convert it to black and white so I can engrave it on a metal using the cermark solution.
I need the whole clip art to be black and white not grey color or things in between.

Zeev
You can use the clipart mode, (it will halftone it) or the photo mode which will do a better job on coloured stuff.. If it's a piece of web art (i.e. a logo or image from the web) it's likely too low a res. to etch onto anything.. When you bring it into photopaint, click 'image' then resample, and see what ppi it is.. most web art is 75 ppi and although it may look good on your screen (which is a low res medium) it will not look so good when you etch it..

Michael Kowalczyk
12-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Hey Rodne,
I don't want to hijack this post but saw yours and wanted to ask where is the UHI manufactured? I called Lucite who sold their acrylic stuff to Plaskolite and they said they don't stock high impact in 1mm and a minimum order is 20,000 lbs.

this is the link- http://www.plaskolite.com/duraplex.htm

So I said I will keep looking. Most of my suppliers are still checking even when I mention Perspex, like you said, they go "HUNH?" So I guess it is a product that hasn't made it across the pond in quantity yet. I found one Company in New Jersey, thatsell Perspex, but have not heard back from the emails I have sent them. Who manufactures the one you get? I want to make some of the bookmarks and that stuff seems ideal. Does any one else that is reading this know of a 1mm laser friendly product in the USA that would fit this?

Zeev Goldin
12-07-2007, 1:57 PM
Thank you all for the advises.
I appriciate it alot