PDA

View Full Version : grizzly sander G0529, delta vs grizzly

Ron Bontz
12-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the grizzly G0529 sander? Having a small shop I was considering it because of the combo. Also is the difference between the Delta 8" jointer and the grizzly 8" really worth the cost difference? Thanks.

David Weaver
12-06-2007, 7:37 AM
Which delta jointer - the DJ-20?

I have used the DJ-20 quite a lot, it's not mine, but a friends. It's a nice jointer, and by no means a new design - time tested.

I still wouldn't pay the difference in price for it vs. the Grizzly if they're both made in taiwan now.

George Oak
12-06-2007, 6:09 PM
I cannot comment on the sander, but I have the Grizzly 8" jointer (model G0586) and its quality is exceptional. I compared the smoothness and ease of operation with a friend's 8" Delta Paralellogram jointer, and I could not detect much quality difference. If I had to choose between these jointers, it might be a tossup. Given the price difference, there is no question: Grizzly all the way.

Jake Helmboldt
12-06-2007, 9:29 PM
I have the Shop Fox (Grizzly sister company) clone of the DJ20. When I bought it there was a DJ20 on the floor next to it. No way in Hades would I pay twice the price. They are virtually identical. In fact, the fit and finish on the Delta wasn't as good.

I've enjoyed the jointer so far.

Ron Bontz
12-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Thank you to the replies. I have been a Delta fan for alot of years but when they went to china and the prices stayed the same or went up........ Many angry thoughts. To top it off, when I spoke to a Delta/Dewalt rep. at a tool sale he was not very knowledgeable of his own tools and seemed disinterested. I recently took a long drive, 300 plus miles, to the grizzly showroom in Springfield Mo. I was impressed with what I saw, not to mention feeling like a kid in a huge toy store. I also compared the Grizzly 6 x 108 edge sander to the delta 31-396 I had. I did not see any difference but I had never used a Grizzly tool. I have heard the bearings are not as good etc. Anyway I somehow suspect I'll be making that drive again with money in pocket. ;)