PDA

View Full Version : First picture posted, Christmas present for some friends

Donna Ashby
12-05-2007, 9:45 PM
This is a curly, spalted, big leaf maple pepper grinder. Made for some friends in TX. Some people notice right away, some I don't think ever would - the grinder forms the silhoutte of a woman. (I have a pic with the shadow but I wasn't sure I should post it.) I'm not telling my friends - I'm going to see how long it takes.

Finished with BLO, several coats of General Finishes Salad Bowl Finish and buffed with the Beall 3 wheel buffing system. (It's shinier than the pic shows.)

Thanks for looking.

Donna

Steve Schlumpf
12-05-2007, 9:49 PM
Very nice grinder Donna! Love the wood! Yes - I noticed the silhoutte right away - makes it a great conversation piece! Nice work - hope this means you are going to start posting more often!

John Hart
12-05-2007, 9:50 PM
Nicely artfully done Donna. I can see the silhouette without a shadow....and the figure in the wood even give some straight-on...um...detail as well.;) Very pretty.:)

Bernie Weishapl
12-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Nicely done Donna. Great looking grinder.

Alex Elias
12-05-2007, 10:42 PM
I must be blind or have no imagination at all but I can't see a woman there. I guess my wife doesn't look like your grinder at all.
To all of you that can see her. Is she hot?
Also I like to add I do like it as a grinder. Looks great.
Alex

Dennis Peacock
12-06-2007, 12:53 AM
Nicely done Donna.!!! I like it!! :D

Jim Becker
12-06-2007, 4:03 AM
Very nice, Donna!!!

robert hainstock
12-06-2007, 7:06 AM
What Steve said, and atta girl! :D

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
12-06-2007, 12:53 PM
I gotta say, Donna, that's one nice grinder. I saw the facial profile first, but it took your prompt to see the female profile. That's some really nice detail work you've done, by the way.

David Fried
12-06-2007, 1:25 PM
I glanced at the photo and my first thought was that it looked like a person.
Very nice!

Tom Sherman
12-06-2007, 1:30 PM
Well done Donna, I remember seeing a magazine article some time ago about silhouette turning. Had forgotten all about it. Nice job.

Paul Heely
12-06-2007, 1:46 PM
Good looking grinder Donna. Only other silhouette turning I've seen was a set of bookends in one of my books. Nice job.

Brett Baldwin
12-06-2007, 2:26 PM
Clever Donna. Nice job

Alex Elias
12-06-2007, 5:13 PM
I still can't see a person there. If anything I can see a Mary Popins hat at the very top. The bottom would be a skirt and the second bump would be a big belly or sagged chest.
Sorry I'm blind.
Alex

Allen Neighbors
12-06-2007, 5:58 PM
Sorry, Alex. She's there, even if you can't see her. :)
Very nice work, artfully done. Now you need a guy grinder in a top hat and tails. :D

Dean Thomas
12-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Don't tell 'em or they won't be able to grind pepper! Grab the mill in the wrong way and heck, someone'll sue for peppermill harrassment!

Nice shape, Donna.

Question for you, though. Why did you feel that you had to use BLO before you put the General finish on the piece? Just curious.

Donna Ashby
12-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Don't tell 'em or they won't be able to grind pepper! Grab the mill in the wrong way and heck, someone'll sue for peppermill harrassment!

Nice shape, Donna.

Question for you, though. Why did you feel that you had to use BLO before you put the General finish on the piece? Just curious.
I wanted to see what the wood looked like with a finish on it. The BLO was 2 feet away in the barn and the General Finish was 200 feet away up a hill in the basement of the house. I was lazy. Then after the BLO dried I decided I wanted a shinier finish (the diffused light in the picture doesn't capture the shine).

Donna