PDA

View Full Version : The future of Shopsmith

Dave Lehnert
12-05-2007, 9:01 PM
Last month on my way to the Artistry in wood show I noticed a building "available" banner on the factory. The factory store has been closed. The Shopsmith.com Web site now says all woodworking classes have been canceled till they sign a new lease for a building. They have pulled through hard times before. lets hope things will work out

Anyone know the inside scoop at Shopsmith?

Jason White
12-05-2007, 10:37 PM
I grew up watching my dad use his Mark V. He never got really serious with his woodworking, but he turned out a bookcase and a table or two.

He's still got the thing (30+ years later).

The problem is that the machines are too expensive and there's not enough advertising. Too bad, because these things are/were built to last.

JW

Scott Kilroy
12-05-2007, 11:09 PM
I've always thought that the Shopsmith was kind of like that really big swiss army knife, its seemed like a good idea on paper but no one is going to use a spoon that's got a handsaw sticking out of it's side. It also doesn't help that it's endorsed by Bob Vila.

On the other hand it seems like if you were really limited on space it would be really useful.

Al Killian
12-05-2007, 11:29 PM
There replacement parts seem to be takeing a turn for the worse. I ordered a set of replacement bearings for my 500 and when they arrived the first thing that struck me was the play in them. Next was the made in china stamp.:rolleyes: So much for good old american machines and parts. Lets just say the bearing are going to get unpressed and shipped back, wether or not I get reimburst for all my cost are different matter.

As far as the machines them selves they seem to be made to last a long time. Mine is somewhere around 30+ years old and other then the bearings it is/was accurate and plenty of power.

keith ouellette
12-05-2007, 11:53 PM
I could have gotten one super cheap at a pawn shop. They were practically begging me to buy it and I almost did. I only wanted it for the lathe it had. For $200 it would have made a good one.

Mike Heidrick
12-06-2007, 12:19 AM
I have a Mark V that was part of my Original Delta TS deal. The Delta saw is now gone but the Mark V is still around. I also have the accessory power station. I think for used prices they are great machine. The new retail prices are CRAZY!!

Back before I knew any better though I was real tempted by that Lowes demonstration.

Dave Lehnert
12-06-2007, 5:57 PM
A Shopsmith is like anything else. Great for some and not for others. I think it is a tool ,like a Harley Davidson , unless you own one you just don't understand. I think if they market it as a multipurpose jig people would understand what I am talking about. If you look at their catalog it will do so much more than the 5 tools of the basic unit. Sharpen planer knifes is just one. You read comments like "If they were so good why are so many for sale" So many are for sale because they are built to last. My shopsmith is 18 years old and you would not know it from a new one. A lot you see for sale is from 1970's . Some a lot older than that.
Yes it is great that they are made here in the USA (Dayton Ohio) but I would rather see them made with overseas parts to get the price down and be in the biz. well into the future.

Al Killian
12-06-2007, 8:24 PM
I dont think makeing them overseas would do much more then lower the quality of the machine. Look at some of the american companies that have treid the overseas thing and had problems with the quality drop, but the price doesnt change enough to ofset the cheaper parts being used.

Jon Lanier
12-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Dave, is this the one that is on the north bound of 75? Isn't there some kind of show room on Dixie? I might be thinking of DeWalt on Dixie... can't remember.

Dave Lehnert
12-06-2007, 11:25 PM
They are located on Poe Ave. right along I 75. North of downtown but Just south of I 70.

Ed Brady
12-06-2007, 11:44 PM
I have owned a Shopsmith for 25 years and made a lot of things with it. During my active duty Navy days it served me well as we moved and seldom had space for a proper shop. I am going to buy a nice table saw now -- a SawStop or a PM2000 -- but I'll keep the Shopsmith for all of its flexibility. I haven't needed any spare parts in all that time but hope I can get them if I need them.

Re the comments about the downside of moving production overseas. I like to buy American, but the two FWW top rated table saws are made in Taiwan.

Hope Shopsmith can hold out.

EDB