PDA

View Full Version : Detail Gouges (was Peanut Gallery)

Dean Thomas
12-05-2007, 6:27 PM
Try the hybrid "Detail Gouge".

Gordon, did you find the learning curve on the long bevel detail gouge to be fairly steep?

Yes, you can get into places that normally only a skew would do. Agreed. And you can get into some really interesting tight spots where a gouge would seem to be the best choice.

I have a detail gouge and have not gotten comfortable with it yet. I've made a few irretrievable goofs with it. Well beyond the "design opportunity" stage. :rolleyes:

And I have a "SpindleMaster" that has its own set of foibles that might deserve some discussion.

Curious as to other people's experiences. If we're going to recommend that someone get a particular tool, it might be good to explore pro and con views, yes? So, I've split the thread off with this question.

Thoughts anyone?

Gordon Seto
12-05-2007, 7:23 PM
Dean,

As we all know, there is no perfect tool. In order to gain something, we always have to give up something.

The shallow detail gouge has very shallow flute; the flute is very narrow. If we grind the tool very pointy, it allows me more access to deep detail. The arc of the tip is very small; we have a fairly small sweet spot. If I rotate the tool too much, I will lose the bevel very quick. It is difficult to control. I find the most important part on controlling this tool is to keep the tool as tight against the tool rest as possible. With this flute shape, even if I allow the arc of the tip to be the whole flute width, it is still not very broad.

I think this shape of flute is vital for off-center turning. Because of the steel mass left behind, it allows the gouge to extend further over the tool rest without chattering.

On the other hand, a regular spindle gouge has about half of the steel milled away. The width of the flute is about the diameter of the round steel bar. We can have a relatively wide round nose. It is easy to maintain a constant cutting angle. It shines in making a smooth flowing curve. The down side is the tool can't over reach; it is likely to chatter.

The detail gouge is a cross between the two. It is easier to control and at the same time more rigid.

The names and flute shape designs vary from company to company. I am referring to the Thompson tools line.

Gordon