PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi Router 2-base Set - is it decent?

David Weaver
12-05-2007, 6:05 PM
Does anyone have the Hitachi Router 2 1/4 horsepower router set? I just ordered one from the refurb source on here who sells the hitachi refurbs - for $109. That seems like a steal of a deal for a variable speed soft start router set.

Here's the question: Is it any good?

The only reason I ordered it, and I suppose this could be called gluttony, is because I have a bosch 1617EVS router that I ruined a bearing in doing something that Pat Warner says is a no-no, and I need another router (other than the PC table router) to keep me warm while that one is sent off to be repaired).

I almost bought the PC690LR, but I like the soft start and variable speed options enough that I would rather have a second base and those functions than another ROS - esp since I only have a 6" ROS and sand only when hand planing and card scraping won't do the trick.

I guess that leads me to question #2 - should I just attempt to repair the Bosch router myself? My mechanical skills are moderate, electrical are nil. I have purchased OEM parts to repair delta tools before - from toolpartsdirect.com. The risk I run is either not repairing correctly, or not repairing the right parts and spending too much money.

I bounced the router out of a door cutting the hole for the lock set a little wider with slow speed and with a spiral cut bit on a cut that wasn't quite as stable as it should've been, and now it has a whine, though it's not severe and it doesn't smoke or stink while it's running. Sounds like a bearing that's partially, but not severely, smoked.

Anthony Anderson
12-05-2007, 6:31 PM
Does anyone have the Hitachi Router 2 1/4 horsepower router set? I just ordered one from the refurb source on here who sells the hitachi refurbs - for $109.

Okay, I have to ask. Who are you referring to when you say "...from the refurb source on here"? Thanks. Bill

Michael Stanley
12-05-2007, 7:18 PM
I have the M12SC which is single speed and fixed base but otherwise the same basic motor as the one in the two base M12VC kit. It runs great and is easy to handle. My only complaint is the 1/4" collet is sometimes a little stubborn and won't let go of the bit.

I think you'll be pleased.

Leigh Betsch
12-05-2007, 7:39 PM
I picked up the same set KM12V off Amazon a few weeks ago for 125.99 including shipping, new. It's a good router combo for the money but not great. I'm pretty picky about the tools I own. I'm not sorry I bought it but I really don't like the plunge release, kinda hard to operate. The soft start is great and it has plenty of power. I have a M12V 3 1/4 hp that I think is a much better router. Overall I think it is a good value just not the best router combo available.

David Weaver
12-05-2007, 8:34 PM
Okay, I have to ask. Who are you referring to when you say "...from the refurb source on here"? Thanks. Bill

You're right, that wasn't a good way to put it. Someone here introduced themselves several weeks ago - with the site www.reconditionedsales.com (http://www.reconditionedsales.com) as a seller of refurbished hitachi tools.

Not affiliated with sawmillcreek.org - bad choice of words on my part, but nonetheless a seller that I was introduced to via a post on the creek.

John Hain
12-05-2007, 8:37 PM
I have it and it works very well for me.

It's powered like the 1 3/4 HP routers by Dewalt, Bosch, etc.

Michael Weber
12-05-2007, 8:55 PM
I ordered that router from the 'refurb guy' you mention. I like it. It's very quite and small enough for hand use and comes with the plunge base and other accessories. I'm normally leary of refurb/rebuilt because I'm alway afraid of getting someone else's undiagnosed problem. So far so good and it does come with a warranty. Mike

Mike McCann
12-05-2007, 10:02 PM
I have the same router for about 6 months it is great in my opinion. I bought mine from a guy on ebay it was brand new for 89 dollars including the shipping.