PDA

View Full Version : PhotograV file question

James Jaragosky
12-05-2007, 5:41 PM
Well I finely got tired of screwing around with Corel 3 x. I just didn’t get the image quality I was looking for using just Corel 3 x. my copy of photograv came recently and I finely got time to run a photo through it. Its projected rending of my photo has me very excited. But to my dismay photograv has saved the file as a PGS , and my rabbit laser won’t recognize it. My rabbit came with a software program called newlydraw1 and it will only read dxf, plt , bmp , jpg files.
Ok, my question is: can I save photograv images as one of the file types that my newlydraw1 softywear will recognize or did I waste $400? I know I can contact photograv tomorrow and ask, but I was hoping to produce something tonight.
Thanks for the help:confused:

Curt Stallings
12-05-2007, 5:53 PM
Maybe you can go In Photograv to File, Preferences & select to save it default as a bmp?

Skip Weiser
12-05-2007, 6:21 PM
I was reading a pdf about Photograv on their website recently and it showed the screen where you can choose what laser you have. I think Rabbit was listed there. I don't know if this is something new in ver. 3.0 or not. Someone here should be able to tell you.

Also, on the A4dable Woodworking forum, those guys all have the LG500 Chinese lasers bought from A4dable, and some of those people are using the original Photograv, so there is a way to do it.

James Jaragosky
12-05-2007, 7:10 PM
Yes rabbit is listed as a choice in photograv's latest release.
But not my model.
My concern is if I run it through CorelDraw x3 and change the file type, and save it that way. Will it affect any of the quality enhancement I picked using photograv?
I am sure someone has had this issue before I am just hoping I hear from them tonight.
Things have been hectic here my wife just came home today from major Breast surgery and is 6 pounds lighter. She is kind of week and tired and I have been nursing her all day but she is currently taking a nap and I got all the chores done, but not until after 5pm eastern so I can’t contact photograv until tomorrow. And tomorrow looks quite full during business hours for my wife and myself. But god blessed us with her coming through safe. So please do not think I am complaining in any way. I just was wondering if someone had a quick answer while I had some free time. Thanks for the help.
I do appreciate all the experience and advice I get here, this is the best forum on the net for my money. And I believe it is that way because of the people that contribute here, you are much appreciated by me.

Larry Bratton
12-05-2007, 7:17 PM
Well I finely got tired of screwing around with Corel 3 x. I just didn’t get the image quality I was looking for using just Corel 3 x. my copy of photograv came recently and I finely got time to run a photo through it. Its projected rending of my photo has me very excited. But to my dismay photograv has saved the file as a PGS , and my rabbit laser won’t recognize it. My rabbit came with a software program called newlydraw1 and it will only read dxf, plt , bmp , jpg files.
Ok, my question is: can I save photograv images as one of the file types that my newlydraw1 softywear will recognize or did I waste $400? I know I can contact photograv tomorrow and ask, but I was hoping to produce something tonight.
Thanks for the help:confused:
James:
You said you got Photograv recently. Did you get the latest version 3.0 or the old 2.1? If you didn't get 3.0, it might be the price of the upgrade and that varies based on the time you have had the software. But, under any circumstance, either program will save as bmp file. Even the new version won't save an engraving file as a jpg. ( I assume the reason is that a jpg is "lossy" file type and lots of data is lost with the compression when saved) I can't recall ever opening an engraving file from the 2.1 version that wasn't a bmp file. The file extension you speak of, I have never heard of before. My laser is an Epilog EXT36.

James Jaragosky
12-05-2007, 7:34 PM
My mistake, I have version 3.0. And the extension I listed is the one that shows up when I mouse over the file. When I look up the file in properties it only shows up as a photograv file.
I just don’t understand all the need to be different when designing new softywear. You would think the teckie crowd could choose a proper choice and run with it. Wouldn’t that make everything much simpler? Do we really need 20 different file extensions? Couldn’t we get by with 5? O well I guess I will process it back through corelx3 for tonight and contact photograv in the next few days when I get the opportunity. Thanks all for the input.

Luke Phillips
12-05-2007, 7:43 PM
James - in ver 3.0 after you have processed the image, you can select to save the image - there are options to save engraved, simulation, original, etc. when you select the engraved to save, there are options to save it as a .bmp file, you have to click on the arrow under "save as type" to choose the file extension.

Larry Bratton
12-05-2007, 7:49 PM
James,
I may be wrong, but in so far as I know, Photograv 3.0 will only save engrave files as one of 3 types..bmp,tiff or png, all conventional file types. It will save a simulation file as a jpg. You have your choice when you save the processed file.
Good luck. Glad your wife is OK.

James Jaragosky
12-05-2007, 8:45 PM
:DWow that did the trick thanks. It was so simple I am now embarrassed I asked.
Well I did my first photograve engraving. And it looks very good, not as awesome as the posts I have seen here, but better than my past results. and I can work on power speed and the pre-burn rendering to tweak it. Thanks for all the helpful advise. I thought the shop time would help me decompress after the day’s events. But I am getting tired and sloppy so I’m off to bed. Tomorrow is another in paradise.
Thanks again creekers you’re the best.

James Jaragosky
12-05-2007, 8:48 PM
I would truly be lost without her.

Scott Shepherd
12-05-2007, 8:48 PM
James, best of luck to you and your wife. I hope she recovers quickly. Sorry she had to go through that and I wish both of you all the best.