PDA

View Full Version : New to the group

Thomas Edwards
12-05-2007, 5:26 PM
Hello to all, recently joined the group. Can anyone point me to a good discussion on laser etching photos on black marble? Seems like there is hours and hours of reading material here.

Thanks.

T. Edwards

George M. Perzel
12-05-2007, 7:14 PM
Hi Tom;
Welcome to the Creek. Just do a forum search on black marble and you'll get a ton of dialog. Unfortunately there is no magic formula- depends on the laser power, speed , dpi, marble type, photo characteristics, grandmother's maiden name, etc. Not trying to be cute but you will need to use the general guidelines given and experiment.
To be honest, I don't even mess with the stuff anymore since trying to get it perfect (or just a bit better) ended up being uneconomical. I only do it now for friends who won't dare complain!
Good Luck
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Larry Bratton
12-05-2007, 7:29 PM
Hi Tom;
Welcome to the Creek. Just do a forum search on black marble and you'll get a ton of dialog. Unfortunately there is no magic formula- depends on the laser power, speed , dpi, marble type, photo characteristics, grandmother's maiden name, etc. Not trying to be cute but you will need to use the general guidelines given and experiment.
To be honest, I don't even mess with the stuff anymore since trying to get it perfect (or just a bit better) ended up being uneconomical. I only do it now for friends who won't dare complain!
Good Luck
Best regards;
George
LaserArts
Hi Thomas:
I hate marble. So much variation in the patterns that run through it (visible and not visible) I have engraved pieces that were otherwise great until one of the veins (or whatever) you want to call them, made my subject look like they had something extra growing out of their head or the like. Natural materials are risky as far as the final outcome is concerned. As far as stone goes, I much prefer black granite over marble.

Welcome to the group and good luck with your laser.

Thomas Edwards
12-05-2007, 8:52 PM
Thanks for responding guys. I have done some experimenting with some marble and it seems there are many many variables to consider and all the stars need to line up just right. I will do a search within the forum and see what I can find out.

Mike Null
12-05-2007, 9:21 PM
Thomas

Welcome, the other guys have given you good direction. There's a wealth of info in the archives. Also have a look at the suppliers list and add your name to the engravers list if you'd care to.

Thomas Edwards
12-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Ok, stupid question. Supplier list and engravers list? Where do I find them. I'm completely new to this forum thing.

Mike Null
12-06-2007, 5:55 AM
There are links to them near the top of the laser page.