PDA

View Full Version : Delta Shaper 43-454 and Pwr feeder worth it

Chuck Burns
12-05-2007, 2:32 PM
Somebody who knew I might be interested in a shaper called this morning. He has a 1 yr old Delta 43-454 available. It's single phase and he thinks it's 3 HP but not positive (he's going to check). It comes with a Power Feeder 36-835 which is a 1HP. That number is not cataloged now but he says it's similar to the current 36-851.

The Shaper has a 1.25" spindle and he would include a 3/4 spindle and the router collet for 1/4 and 1/2. Doesn't have a base but he says he might be willing to do something.

Cost would be 1200 and he'd deliver it (and obviously no sales tax).

Supposedly it was in a cabinet shop for a year and they didn't care for it as they feel the set-up on the Powermatic is easier and faster. They also thought it was a bit underpowered for their use as it took two passes to raise panels on doors (not an issue for me) and they wanted to be able to do it in one. It was replaced by a new 5 HP PM.

So what say you all? I was planning on a shaper in the next year or so. Is this enough of a deal to make it worth pulling the trigger. I definetley wouldn't if it didn't come with the power feeder - but with it.....

Jamie Buxton
12-05-2007, 5:26 PM
That's a good price for that shaper, particularly when you get the feeder too. Around here, the basic shaper typically runs $1000 or so used. If you need a shaper, it's a good deal.

Travis Porter
12-05-2007, 10:58 PM
Sounds like a good deal to me. I paid more than that for my 3 HP Delta shaper alone not including a power feeder. The router collets are around $150 and having a 3/4 and 1 1/4 spindle is definitely the ticket. Only negative I can think of is I would rather have a 4 wheel feeder than a 3, but still, I would buy it if it is in good condition. JMTCW

Mike Heidrick
12-06-2007, 12:16 AM
This is a steal on that shaper (that model number is 5hp not 3hp). The feeder and the router bit spindle and the 3/4" spindle would cost you close to $1200.

Remember though - cutters will get real real pricey real quick. What other tools do you have? Decide if the shaper compliments those other tools.

You cannot go wrong with that machine for $1200 though. Even the lowest new prices I have seen on the 5hp delta shaper and 1hp delta feeder (during those 6 hour amazon deals) are at least $400 more than that and that is not including the spindles!!! The size of that feeder will suprise you.

Plan to double that investment in cutters though!

If you get it i will point you to some cutter deals that come and go.