PDA

View Full Version : Hi all, new to group

Doug Fennell
12-05-2007, 2:05 PM
New to the group - I've got a few more days to wait before my Epilog Helix 45w gets here; Just wanted to say hi to all.

Doug

Kissimmee, Fl

Brian Robison
12-05-2007, 2:18 PM
Hi Doug, welcome.
You found the best website on the net, make it your home page!;)

Phyllis Meyer
12-05-2007, 2:52 PM
Hi Doug,

Welcome to the creek! Best wishes on your new bundle of joy just in time for Christmas!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Larry Bratton
12-05-2007, 7:40 PM
New to the group - I've got a few more days to wait before my Epilog Helix 45w gets here; Just wanted to say hi to all.

Doug

Kissimmee, Fl
Doug:
Welcome to a super good forum. Lots of great folks here and lots of knowledge.

I was wondering what else your getting for Xmas???? You need things like laserable wood, some acrylic(preferablably cast variety) some engraving plastics, maybe some granite or marble, some glass and some leather. Hang your stocking and hope that Santa brings you some of this stuff. Good luck!

Mike Null
12-05-2007, 8:15 PM
Doug

Congratulations and welcome.

Doug Fennell
12-05-2007, 8:19 PM
Thanx all

Well, I got a 12' X 24' shop outback last week and wired it for power over the weekend. The electrician will (hopefully) come out this Saturday and hook everything up to new panel box and dig a trench for the undergroung cable.

Ordered a exhaust blower from Penn State - really looked everywhere for an exhaust that would work for the Helix, and the Penn unit in the end seemed to fit the bill. The Helix specs call for 400cfm at 6" SP, but if you do the math... it's not realistic. The math says you need around 900cfm with a 4" hose to get 6" static pressure (with a few other factors involved) - the Penn unit does 850cfm and that works out to right at 6" of SP (.3 less actually)... more than close enough.

I have a feeling that this 6" SP rating is more for the vaccum table than anything else - the smoke should ROCKET out the exhaust. It'll also make a super vaccume cleaner for the shop.

Got a cheapie 40psi airbrush compressor from Harbor Freight.

Got a new Gateway computer, and the wife unit let me get a 28" LCD monitor (on sale at Best Buy) for Corel!

Ordered Photograv yesterday - I think I'm set. Just twiddling thumbs until the laser gets here.

Scott Shepherd
12-05-2007, 8:52 PM
Welcome Doug! That blower is the same one we had on our Helix and it was sold to us from the sales rep who sold us the laser. He said it came from Penn. I'm sure it's plenty good enough.

Good luck!

Frank Corker
12-06-2007, 8:49 AM
Doug, you sound like a little boy at Christmas time, just can't wait!!!!

Doug Fennell
12-06-2007, 9:34 AM
I am itching to get started, that's for sure! Just lined up an electrician, so I'm one step closer anyway.

Mike Null
12-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Hate to be a spoilsport but you might want to find a variable speed control for that blower. You might end up sucking all the heat out of your shop.

Doug Fennell
12-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Good point - I think I've got an old variac around here somewhere that will work.

Bill Cunningham
12-06-2007, 9:01 PM
Good point - I think I've got an old variac around here somewhere that will work.

Only if the blower motor has brushes.. If you try to use a variac on a modern induction motor, it will turn into a converter... Converts Electricity into Smoke!:D:eek:

Augusto O.
12-08-2007, 5:44 PM
Hi all

I need help with tihs kind of laser pen. I canīt engraver with cermark. What can I do. If you have PLEASE help me. Thanks a lot

Augusto

Roy Brewer
12-09-2007, 8:55 PM
I need help with tihs kind of laser pen. I canīt engraver with cermark.

Augusto,

Looks like it is a metal pen. If Cermark doesn't "take," then it is probably coated. While tedious, you might try lasering, leave it in place (that is, don't move it) apply CerMark, let it dry and hit it again [very slow, hi power]. If that doesn't work, then I'd venture to say you're out of luck. There are several coatings that we just can't get the laser through.