PDA

View Full Version : F-111

Pete Simmons
12-05-2007, 12:16 PM
I have a friend who is building an F-111 simulator. I engraved and cutout many of the instrument panels. They are made of 6mm plexi painted white on back and black on front. When backlit they look great!

Here is a quick interior shot.

I will try to get some beter pics as it progresses.

Anyone have a good vector file of an F-111.

We want to make a small plaque for the inside but so far have not found a quality pic.

Mike Null
12-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Here are a couple.

Mike Null
12-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Well---here they are.

Gene Buckle
12-05-2007, 6:26 PM
I have a friend who is building an F-111 simulator. I engraved and cutout many of the instrument panels. They are made of 6mm plexi painted white on back and black on front. When backlit they look great!

Here is a quick interior shot.

I will try to get some beter pics as it progresses.

Anyone have a good vector file of an F-111.

We want to make a small plaque for the inside but so far have not found a quality pic.

Pete, is that Francis Picornell's 'pit? If so, say hi for me! :)

The panels look nice - I certainly hope you're planning on adding metal back plates to all of them. :)

Mike - would you happen to have any sillouettes(sp) of an F-15?
tnx!

g.

George M. Perzel
12-05-2007, 7:20 PM
Hi Pete;
Nice job. I thought all those things had were a stick and a gas peddle- imagine that!
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Ed Kloppenburg
12-05-2007, 7:43 PM
If you paint the back white and the front black, how does the engraving get back lit. I would like to try something like this in a real airplane but it must look A+.

Ed

Mike Null
12-05-2007, 8:14 PM
That's a good question. I can understand painting the back black, engraving and no colorfill or a white colorfill.

Sorry I don't have any other F111's that I know of. There might be something in the files but not identified. I pulled those out of version 8.

Pete Simmons
12-05-2007, 8:58 PM
Yes it is Francis Picornell's.

The white back difuses the light.

The black front paint gets engraved away so the light can show thru.

I have done a few of the for experimental aircraft.

Do they look A1 - maybe

They are at least A2 - They look very nice in place.

Gene Buckle
12-06-2007, 10:40 AM
If you paint the back white and the front black, how does the engraving get back lit. I would like to try something like this in a real airplane but it must look A+.

Ed

Ed, a very passable version of a Class 1-W, Type 5, 6 or 7 edge-lit panel can be made using a laser engraver.

You start off with a clear .250" thick clear acrylic panel. Make your cuts on the panel, including any reverse pocketing needed to clear the switch or indicator mounting hardware and the internal lighting.

Head off to your local hobby shop and locate the Testors Military paint display. You're after Flat White which will also have "FS 37875" on the can. You also need Flat Black (FS 37038). Both of these colors are specified in the MILSPEC for building edge-lit panels for aircraft. Testors is the easiest way to get this paint at a reasonable price - you'll want the spray cans.

Coat the newly cut panel with at _least_ 4 coats of flat white. Take care to make sure that the coats are even - both sides get painted. You MUST mask off the pockets where the lamps intrude into the panel or it won't light correctly. :)

After the white is dry, apply at least 4 coats of the flat black. After this is dry, you can do all your lettering. For the best result, place paint mask on the panel before you engrave it. This way you can get all your lettering done and then re-shoot the white if you accidentally go too deep into the panel.

Good luck!

g.

Bill Cunningham
12-06-2007, 8:39 PM
Wow!! Looks a little more involved than the 65hp Aeronca Champ I used to 'burn up' the skies with as a teenager:D

Mike Null
12-07-2007, 7:00 PM
Gene
Wasn't paying close attention. Here's the F-15.

Gene Buckle
12-07-2007, 7:28 PM
Gene
Wasn't paying close attention. Here's the F-15.

Ahh, fantastic! Thanks Mike!
[Edited]

Mike, do you happen to have a top-down view?

Thanks!
g.