PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas from the peanut gallery???

TYLER WOOD
12-05-2007, 11:20 AM
My wife asked for a Christmas list, but I'm having a hard time deciding what to put on the list. I have a GI 25-650M lathe, getting a SN2 chuck in tomorrow, have the HF set of HSS tools (re-handled), a couple of soft carbon bowl gouges (need upgraded):rolleyes:.

With that list here is a couple of things I thought of

Doug Thompson Bowl gouges either 3/8" or 1/2"
wolverine sharpening system
live center set
jaw sets for the SN2

Is there something in the under or around $100 that you would suggest. Something that you can't live without. I am lost trying to think when she asks me. Even trying to sit down and think I can't. I only remember when I reach for it and don't have it. But after I finish urning I forget what IT was I wanted.

Rick Huelsbeck
12-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Was logging on to ask the same thing, I have 2 chucks, jet 1236 lathe, pennstate shapening jig (wolverine knock off) and bb bowl gouges (1/2 and 3/8) and hf HSS tools plus a full shop of saws, finishing supplies and just laid in a load of maple for turning. Would love to see the suggestions as well.

Neal Addy
12-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Santa is bringing me a Oneway Live Center set. Can't wait!

Of your list I think the Wolverine would be the first thing I would buy. Next would be a new bowl gouge. Then the additional jaws.

BTW, add a Beall system to your list. Definitely worth the money.

John Hart
12-05-2007, 11:53 AM
I was asked the same question. I said that I would like hook-n-loop sandpaper. A big ol box of it....all different grits

Gordon Seto
12-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Saw this in another forum:
http://www.osolnikmachinery.com/index.asp
$49 with free shipping for the Oneway look alike live center from Powermatic.
Is this good value or you got what you paid for kind of deal?

Gordon

Dean Thomas
12-05-2007, 12:57 PM
If you want to do bowls, the Thompson is a GREAT addition, but you'll need and want the good wheels for your wolverine sharpening set-up to treat 'em right.

If you have another wish, consider the Thompson 3/8" spindle gouge, too! $35 well spent for a tool that will stay really sharp a LOT longer. I plan on replacing my Sorby 3/8 with a Thompson later this month. Used one, LOVED it.

Gordon Seto
12-05-2007, 1:44 PM
If you have another wish, consider the Thompson 3/8" spindle gouge, too! $35 well spent for a tool that will stay really sharp a LOT longer. I plan on replacing my Sorby 3/8 with a Thompson later this month. Used one, LOVED it.

Try the hybrid "Detail Gouge". It is a cross between the shallow flute detail gouge and spindle gouge. I think it gets the best of both worlds. It has a wider flute than the shallow flute detail gouge, easier to control. And because it has more steel mass left beneath the flute, it is more rigid. It allows you to stick the tool over the tool rest into tight deep area. Use it, you will love this one also.

Gordon

Tom Sherman
12-05-2007, 1:58 PM
Tyler You might ask 'Santa' for a gift card (Visa with a cash limit) that way when you have one of AHA moments you have the means to get that needed tool/accessory.

Brodie Brickey
12-05-2007, 3:06 PM
If your sharpening system is up and running, I'd look at an 'Eliminator' or other beginners hollowing tool. You can make some nice vases & mugs with those.

Dean Thomas
12-05-2007, 3:15 PM
Try the hybrid "Detail Gouge".
Gordon, did you find the learning curve on the long bevel detail gouge to be fairly steep?

Yes, you can get into places that normally only a skew would do. Agreed.

I have a detail gouge and have not gotten comfortable with it yet. I've made a few irretrievable goofs with it. Well beyond the "design opportunity" stage. :rolleyes:

Curious as to other people's experiences. Not wanting to hijack the thread, but if we're going to recommend that Bonnie get a particular tool, it might be good to explore pro and con views, yes? Maybe we can split the thread off with this question? Thoughts anyone? I'd be happy to start the thread.

Gordon Seto
12-05-2007, 6:04 PM
I'd be happy to start the thread.
I apologize for getting this off topic; it is a good idea.

Gordon

Mike A. Smith
12-06-2007, 8:50 AM
Tyler I have recently purchased a live center set and love it. Really helpful on the small stuff. I have some Thompson spindle gouges and I really like them (turning the handles was a new experience for me, but fun).

Course I agree with John, a BIG stocking stuffed with sand paper would come in handy!

Dave Rudy
12-06-2007, 9:03 AM
Saw this in another forum:
http://www.osolnikmachinery.com/index.asp
$49 with free shipping for the Oneway look alike live center from Powermatic.
Is this good value or you got what you paid for kind of deal?

Gordon

Gordon, this looks to be the same live center that ships with the lathe. If so, it is wondeful! Not quite the same as buying a live center kit from Oneway or others, though. This one does not have interchangeable centers, just the 60 degree cone. I'm a beginning woodturner and haven't had that many hours on the powermatic yet, but the center has worked great for me. And at that price, I'd say it's a steal.

Dean Thomas
12-06-2007, 3:36 PM
In the FWIW department, I did start a new thread on detail gouges.

Live centers: I have the Oneway and have had it for YEARS and think it's great. I lost it in my private sector of the Bermuda Triangle for a season and purchased the $50 live center set from Woodcraft about 3-4 years ago (sorry; I bought it for $50, but it's now $60). I really do like the versatility with that rascal. It has seven different inserts plus you can turn your own with an appropriate sized tenon and design whatever you need! I fit a maple insert with a nylon glide button to use with my shopsmith as the world's most expensive pen press!

The Pro Center Set (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3727) is a worthwhile addition to the vortex arsenal, IMHO.