PDA

View Full Version : New tv cabinet

John Grossi
12-05-2007, 11:19 AM
I had not planned on posting these pictures until I was done. However, I have run into a snag which I am hoping I can get help on. It has to do with glass doors we want to use. We bought this 61" Samsung a few months ago with the promise to the wife that I would build a cabinet to hold it. After a trip to Amish country for some ideas and inspiration, this is what came out of it. Five of the openings along the bottom will be getting raised panel doors soon. The snag I just ran into has to do with the cabinets just left and right of the tv cabinet. The openings with the 6 santas, 3 on each side, were to get glass panel doors. The openings are 14 x 42.500. Just realized if I make my rails and styles 2.500 with .500 overhang, I am losing 4" total from the openings. I am considering making my rails and styles perhaps 1.500". My question is this, would there be enough strength to hold this glass? Would a normal glueup be strong enough? I can do biscuits or pocket screws hidden with plugs. I have also considered making these doors wider with perhaps a 1.500" overhang, thus losing 2" total with 2.500" rails and styles. Thanks for looking and any help is appreciated. Also I hope these pics come across as I have never posted any of my projects before. John

Jim W. White
12-05-2007, 11:37 AM
John,

First of all.... very nice work. Great looking entertainment center!

As to your question ....I think the 1.5" rails and stiles would be plenty stout to support glass panels for that size of opening. I would, however, elect to construct the frames with some stiffer jointery. Personally, I would use a bridle joint. Very stout but extremely easy to execute!

Jim in Idaho

Jeffrey Makiel
12-05-2007, 11:41 AM
First of all...that sure is a fine lookin' piece.

1.5" wide stile/rails should be fine, but I would probably add a screw on the ends which would be covered by a cross grain plug. Another option would be to use a loose tenon to reinforce the cope & stick joint.

In lieu of using glazing points or small screw clips to hold the glass in place, you can also apply a very small fillet bead of ultra clear silicone caulk upon inserting the glass. The caulk will further strengthen the door and eliminate rattles that are common with clips.

Again, nice work...Jeff :)

George Bregar
12-05-2007, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't worry about the weight of the glass or screws etc. I would M&T over a bridle joint for a cleaner appearance and resistance to racking. And very nice work!

mike holden
12-05-2007, 2:26 PM
John,
The frames will be strong enough, I would be more concerned with the hinges and anchoring them firmly, there will be a lot of glass weight cantilevered off them.
Mike

Ryan Eldridge
12-05-2007, 7:07 PM
I just want to say that that is excellent work.

Jeff Hallam
12-05-2007, 8:00 PM
Ah yes, the Amish have always done great designs for large televisions ;)

Seriously, nice work!

Bruce Page
12-05-2007, 8:05 PM
Wow! That is an impressive piece!

Irvin Cooper
12-05-2007, 8:55 PM
4 pieces of advice....4 different opinions.... this should be good!
:>

Incredibly nice work, btw....

Irv

Ed Brady
12-05-2007, 9:00 PM
Another opinion. I wouldn't put the additional doors on it. I think it looks great open and simple seems to work for me.

EDB

John Grossi
12-06-2007, 5:53 AM
Guys, thanks for the kind words. Mike, I had not looked at it the way you did. It adds another worry. Ed, I am leaning toward your advice of not putting glass doors on. However my wife has her opinion and if she sticks with it, I will be putting on doors. As far as the Amish. They are about an hour from here. They are amazing furniture builders. It is ironic that I went there to check out tv cabinet designs, however, in the end they are also very good businessmen. Thanks again John

Sean Troy
12-06-2007, 8:38 AM
Strictly as just an observer, I wouldn't touch it any farther. It looks so good as is!

Bill White
12-06-2007, 8:54 AM
Standard glass will present no problem. Use three hinges per door. What kinda hinges are ya gonna use anyhoo?
Bill

Bruce Benjamin
12-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Add me to the list that says to leave it like it is without the doors. I think it's a beautiful piece as it is but it's already a pretty, "Busy" piece of furniture and adding doors would push it over the top for me. I see doors on cabinets like this as a way to disguise the TV. Kind of like knitting a, "Cozy" for your microwave oven so it won't look so ugly on the kitchen counter.;):rolleyes: Well, it's pretty hard to disguise a monster TV like that so unless you're just trying to keep the dust down I say that doors will make it look like you were bored in the woodshop and really just wanted to make some doors. It won't help the appearance at all in my opinion.

Bruce

John Grossi
12-06-2007, 12:54 PM
Bill, the hinges I am using on the bottom doors are the European, hidden type hinge. If I do the glass I guess I would use the same for a consistant look. Bruce, the doors I am considering would be just left and right of the main cabinet, the ones with the 3 santas on the 3 shelves. John

Dave Cohen
12-06-2007, 3:32 PM
could build nice, strong doors for glass with a rail and stile set in your router table