PDA

View Full Version : What trade magazines do you get?

Scott Shepherd
12-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Just curious what other people subscribe to out there. I picked up a copy of "Signs of the Times", a sign magazine the other day and it had some very interesting articles in it, along with 3 jobs they sent out for quote to a number of people, and then they posted all the quotes for the same signs and discussed them. Very interesting acticle.

Also picked up Screen Printing magazine and it was interesting to read through that. I was depressed after reading it as the focus seemed to be on the facts that that business is dying. It had many tips on how to diversify your business in tough times. Also very interesting to read.

What do you read on a regular basis?

Joe Pelonio
12-05-2007, 1:09 PM
Sign Business is another good one with a lot of tips.

Watch out for laser related publications, most are of little or no value to us even the free ones, mostly ads for parts for industrial and medical lasers.

Larry Bratton
12-05-2007, 6:42 PM
Scott:
Sign Business and Sign Craft. I also get a free publication called simply Wood. Sign Business is oriented toward the business side, as it's name implies and Sign Craft is more inclined toward the design side of signage.

Ed Kloppenburg
12-05-2007, 7:46 PM
Scott,
I get two, Engravers Journal and A & E (for engraving Proffessionals)
Both are great for resources.

Mark Winlund
12-06-2007, 8:15 AM
Also picked up Screen Printing magazine and it was interesting to read through that. I was depressed after reading it as the focus seemed to be on the facts that that business is dying. It had many tips on how to diversify your business in tough times. Also very interesting to read.

What do you read on a regular basis?

I have subscribed to the engravers journal since 1975. I get sign business free as well as a few others.

You are right about screen printing... the only place that you can make money with it is the high volume, low quality work such as political campaign signs... and that is a cutthroat business, believe me. Very high capital investment for the equipment. Most of the big buyers have long term contracts with established printers.

The short run multi color stuff has all been replaced with inkjet direct-to-vinyl.

One advantage of screen printing is that for simple, single color, short run work, the equipment costs are almost zero!

Mark... been there. Lost my shirt. Made it up with engraving.

David James
12-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Is engravers journal sent to you as a hard copy in the mail or in a soft copy, like in an e-mail? Thnaks

Rick Larson
12-08-2007, 11:30 PM
Hi I also would like to know where to buy or get any trade Magazines.

Bill Cunningham
12-09-2007, 12:03 AM
Jeeezz.. I just wish I had time to read all the 'free' magazines that come in here.. even when you don't fill out the renewal forms to 'qualify' for your free subscription, they keep sending them anyway.. It's unfortunate, but a lot of them just get a quick look, to see if there is anything I find interesting, before hitting the blue box.. I guess If I gave them a real good look, I'm afraid I'd sit down to read them, and never get anything done...

Mark Winlund
12-09-2007, 1:35 PM
Is engravers journal sent to you as a hard copy in the mail or in a soft copy, like in an e-mail? Thnaks

It is a printed magazine. I pay for the subscription.

Mark

Rick Larson
12-11-2007, 1:52 AM
Would you be willing to send me some of your oldmagazine? I would pay you for the shipping as I am new to the bussines. If so email me at rick@americantravelingshows.com thanks