PDA

View Full Version : Bowl gouges?

Bonnie Campbell
12-05-2007, 9:54 AM
Okay, after all the bowl gouge talk.... I'm finally going to break down and ask for one for Christmas. I need suggestions on what one even a caveman/woman could learn to use fairly easy. An easy to sharpen one would also be nice.... And I need one without a 50" handle! I know, they aren't that long, but in a cramped turning area they seem that long.

Not knowing what in the world I'm doing half the time, I'm tired of grabbing numerous chisels trying to do what a bowl gouge is supposed to do easier. That last NE I did with a skew and scraper :rolleyes:

Raymond Overman
12-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Bonnie,

You can always buy a P&N gouge (3/8 is my goto gouge) which comes un-handled and make your handle as long as you want.

Hilel Salomon
12-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Bonnie,

Depending on how much you spend, my favorite bowl gouges are (in descending order) the Hamlet 1/2 and 5/8 in in the 2060 steel, Crown 1/2, Sorby 3/4" and Oneway double sided w/handle. The last one you can adjust length of chisel, because the handle is separate. I really like the Hamlet ones as they hold an edge for a long time. If you decide to get one, contact John at Woodchuckers in CA. He is great!!! I've also heard good things about P&N and a few individuals who make quality bowl gouges at reasonable prices.
Luck, Hilel.

Neal Addy
12-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Check out Thompson Tools. Doug's gouges are getting rave reviews.

Gordon Seto
12-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Bonnie,

I am afraid the deluxe model with auto pilot and auto sharpening has not been out of the drawing board yet.
My favorites are the Thompson tools.
thompsonlathetools.com (http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/)
He has both the "U" & "V" shape flute bowl gouges. If you don't like it, he will buy it back. You have nothing to lose.
Bill Grumbine did a demo for our Club last month. He did the whole day demo with one 5/8" "V" Thompson bowl gouge and a parting tool exclusively. The only exception is a single cut with a detail gouge.
Ask Santa for a hands-on class; it will shorten your learning curve.

Gordon

Dennis Peacock
12-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Check out Thompson Tools. Doug's gouges are getting rave reviews.

I agree about Doug Thompson's tools. They are unhandled like the P&N and I do have a few P&N that I like really well too. ;)

Dean Matthews
12-05-2007, 10:40 AM
ease of sharpening is subjective. If you have the Wolverine Jig (or similar) they really are not all that bad to sharpen.

I use a 3/8" Sorby Bowl Gouge with a fingernail grind. When I first got it I screwed the grind up something aweful. Kevin at OneWay talked me through fixing it and things have been great ever since.

The Vari-Grind makes it very easy to grind and regrind gouges.

just my $0.02

Bonnie Campbell
12-05-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm liking what I see at Thompson's (though Lord help me making a handle!). Which is easier to use, the V or U shape?

I do have the Wolverine jig set up with the WC slow speed grinder (finally). So I guess the sharpening I should be able to handle.

Glenn Hodges
12-05-2007, 11:16 AM
Bonnie, the Doug Thompson V shaped gouge is my favorite. Copy a handle to any length, drill it.

Gordon Seto
12-05-2007, 11:40 AM
the V or U shape?

Doug and I belong to the same Club. We had a conversation about this subject several months ago. He said he sold more "U" flute bowl gouges at that time. (I don't know the current status.) He said a lot of people think that the "V" flute gouges are easier to clog. He has done a lot of experiment on this. He has found out that if the flute is too deep and angle too tight, it would clog. He has milled gouges of various shape designs, actually tried them and found the happy medium. He is a cowboy hat turner; he likes the "V" gouge. Because the "V" is more effective on hogging out a lot of wood fast.
If you follow the tool sharpening instructions from Thompson site. Just lay your Varigrind over the pdf print out:
Sharpening.pdf (application/pdf Object) (http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/images/extra/Sharpening.pdf)
your will have a useful grind for your new tool.

Gordon

Dean Thomas
12-05-2007, 12:52 PM
(Thompson) said he sold more "U" flute bowl gouges at that time. (I don't know the current status.)
Yup, yup, yup. Still selling more U than V.

And, Bonnie, it's really a taste or preference thing. You'll learn to love either one of them and wonder how you ever managed without it!

If you want weight without length, try one of the many metal handles that are out there. Prices range up to about $50. I got my double ender for $25 and it will handle 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2" (1/4" has an insert to the 1/2" hole). Or you can find a nice chunk of wood and make one. Not hard, really. As Glen said, find a handle shape you like and copy it. Do remember though, that the deeper you go in a bowl, the farther off the rest you are (generally) and the more you need either handle length or handle heft to keep the tool stable. I personally prefer heft to length as I am turning in tight quarters.

I'm waiting for the 3/8" U-shapes to come back into stock. Some of us at our club are going together on an order since he charges the same shipping for one or a bunch of them. He's a great guy and just a turner who has the capacity and connections to make tools with GREAT steel that will only need sharpened every 3rd Thursday or so. The vanadium steel really does hold an edge. We have several of Thompson's tools in club members' hands already and all of them are still in the "wow" stage.

Gordon Seto
12-05-2007, 1:32 PM
Do remember though, that the deeper you go in a bowl, the farther off the rest you are (generally) and the more you need either handle length or handle heft to keep the tool stable. I personally prefer heft to length as I am turning in tight quarters.

Unless you have a curved tool rest that fits the bowl shape, a larger gouge would help also. A small tool is likely to chatter if it overhangs the tool rest too much even if you have a long and heavy handle.
Thompson tools are sized by the round bar diameter; they are not as big as the English standard.
If you only get one, I would think the ½" (or even a 5/8") is more versatile.
A lot of people think that a smaller gouge would get a cleaner cut. That is true. That gives you the bragging right of start sanding at finer grit; but there is nothing that one or two coarser grit of sand paper won't correct. It is the chattering mark that is difficult to sand smooth.

Gordon

Brian McInturff
12-05-2007, 2:15 PM
I'm a big Thompson fan too. I have both the U and V. The V is great for hogging out material like has been said. Then I switch to the U. I think they are better than the Glaser I have, but that may just be because I spoke directly with Doug when I bought them. They hold an edge an unbelievably long time.
Brian

Justin Bukoski
12-05-2007, 2:36 PM
I just received a 3/4" U shaped gouge from Thompson and I love it. It seemed like it needed sharpening 1/2 as often as my other tools.

Steve Kubien
12-05-2007, 6:01 PM
Another vote for the Thompson U-gouges. I cannot seem to get a really swept-back wing on the U-shape but that could be me. I should also note that I haven't really missed it that much.

Steve Kubien

Bernie Weishapl
12-05-2007, 9:05 PM
Another fan of Thompson U and V gouges. V gouge will hog a lot of wood.

Mike A. Smith
12-06-2007, 9:05 AM
Bonnie,

I went through the first tool handle stuff a couple of months ago:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=66174

this thread has a link to an article that helped a lot. Wasn't very hard and ended up being pretty satisfying.

Dennis Peacock
12-06-2007, 1:12 PM
Well Bonnie........

What did you decide?? Inquiring minds wanna know. :rolleyes: :)

Bonnie Campbell
12-06-2007, 1:21 PM
LOL

Well, looks like I'll get the U shaped Thompson, unless Hubby is feeling really generous, then I'll get a V too ;) Figuring the 1/2" will do me since I make smaller bowls too.

I made sure I pointed out all the other higher priced chisels so these looking exceedingly good :p

Gordon Seto
12-06-2007, 1:46 PM
LOL

I made sure I pointed out all the other higher priced chisels so these looking exceedingly good :p

These are what you are comparing to (minus the handle):
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=PRODSEARCH&txtSearch=glaser&btnSearch=GO&Page=1

Same type of steel, same cryogenic heat treatment.

I saw this idea in other forum. We all hate to buy $40 gouge and pay $8 for shipping. That is reasonable but that is 20%. Someone is organizing group buy from their turning Club, and taking advantage of the $8 flat rate shipping fee.

Gordon

Bill Noce
12-06-2007, 2:25 PM
Just my two cents, I was in test of Thompson tools with North Coast Woodturners in Cleveland Ohio where Doug Thompson is a member. I picked the 3/8th detail gouge to test because I have been using a PN 3/8 detail gouge and a Glaser w/short handle well it never was returned to Doug I liked and bought it along with other detail and normal spindle and bowl gouges as he produced them I believe I own 6. As far as bowl gouges I have the 3/8", 1/2", 5/8" V.......my favorite is the 1/2" never tried the U shape don't believe I will but who knows.............they are very nice and you can buy alot of them for the price of one of the high end ones and its they are the same.

robert hainstock
12-06-2007, 5:49 PM
What a great rundown on bowl guage selection and use. Thank all you guys for your knowledge and advise. Thank you Bonnie for posing the question. I am putting a Thompson 1/2 u shape on my Christmas wish list. :D Bob

Bonnie Campbell
12-10-2007, 6:51 PM
I GOT IT!!!! I got both the "V" & "U" and....... drum roll.............. A HANDLE TOO!

Y'all should of seen and old frumpy lady doing a BIG happy dance after opening the box :D:D:D:D:D:D:D Well, maybe ya shouldn't :eek: LOML did say my smile was priceless though :D

Special message being PM'd to you Doug. Thank you SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!

Doug Thompson
12-10-2007, 8:42 PM
"(though Lord help me making a handle!)" Randy from Monster Tool made the handle but it jumped in the box when it was being packed.

The entire weekend I thought "wait until she opens that package" and get a big smile on my face.

I'm happy that your happy.

Doug

Mike A. Smith
12-10-2007, 9:45 PM
Congrats Bonnie!

Hey wait a minute... It ain't Christmas yet! You jumped the gun there lady!

Justin Bukoski
12-10-2007, 9:48 PM
Any day that a tool shows up from Doug is Christmas. What an awesome tool at a really fair price.

Congrats Bonnie!

Bonnie Campbell
12-11-2007, 9:16 AM
Well, LOML got his early, so he said I could have mine. I brought the box in from the mail box, so I KNEW what it was lol