PDA

View Full Version : Craftman new 3 base Router Combo

Denny Rice
12-05-2007, 2:15 AM
The wife and I were Christmas shopping last weekend in the mall and I was browsing Sears when I noticed a "new" Craftman Professional line router system with a new D base handle, plunge base and fixed base. 12.5 amp, 2 1/4 HP system. Anyone else seen or bought this router yet. Just wondering.

Jim Kountz
12-05-2007, 8:33 AM
I saw the same set at my local sears the other day, I havent been keeping up with the Sears offerings and so I thought Id give it a look see. It actually seems to be made pretty nice. I see they did away with their plastic android looking routers they did sell and the new ones remind me of a Bosch or a PC router. I heard or read somewhere here at the Creek that they were the same or maybe similar to the Bosch. Dont know for sure about that though!

Randal Stevenson
12-05-2007, 10:10 AM
I saw the same set at my local sears the other day, I havent been keeping up with the Sears offerings and so I thought Id give it a look see. It actually seems to be made pretty nice. I see they did away with their plastic android looking routers they did sell and the new ones remind me of a Bosch or a PC router. I heard or read somewhere here at the Creek that they were the same or maybe similar to the Bosch. Dont know for sure about that though!

The one that is the same as a Bosch, looks JUST LIKE a RED Bosch 1617, and is DISCONTINUED and on closeout. A member of another forum posted who he thought was making this new one (was a two base at the time), but the prefix code, wasn't verifying that. However only from what I have read, they are decent, starter routers.

Jerry Mah
12-07-2007, 12:22 AM
The one that is the same as a Bosch, looks JUST LIKE a RED Bosch 1617, and is DISCONTINUED and on closeout. A member of another forum posted who he thought was making this new one (was a two base at the time), but the prefix code, wasn't verifying that. However only from what I have read, they are decent, starter routers.

Randal-

So who did he think was making this one? This looks like a great router. I was considering the Dewalt 3 base kit, but this one looks just as good (from the pictures) with a better price!

Randal Stevenson
12-07-2007, 12:43 AM
I believe it was Chervon, prefix 320.

David Weaver
12-07-2007, 9:14 AM
So is this one a made in China knock-off of the Bosch? They probably found out with the one that was basically identical to the 1617 that if someone was going to spend $200 on a combo, they would get the real Bosch instead of trying to guess whether or not the craftsman version had some shortcuts taken in it.

I have some craftsman stuff - mostly small drills, etc. On most other stuff, they've earned their reputation as far as scaring away anyone who really wants to open up their wallet.

My dad swears by craftsman stuff, though, and he works with it for probably 10 hours a week prepping small things for my mother using a bandsaw, router, and the whole array of hand-held power tools. He only works with pine and other softwoods, though.

Doug Arndt
01-30-2008, 3:13 PM
Newbie looking to buy first router.

Noticed this Craftsman (28084) at Sears as well, and have been searching the forums for comments. I've also run into a lot of references to the Bosch 1617.

A couple of items I've noticed are work light, dust port, and above table adjustment, all of which I don't find on the Bosch.

The Bosch1617EVSPK is still available, dual base kit. The 28084 also includes the D handle base for same price range as the Bosch.

While I'm not really a serious woodworker, I'd still like to buy a quality tool.

More comments or suggestions ?

Scott Long
01-30-2008, 3:22 PM
I had bought the Dewalt DW618B3 set at my local BORG for $199 with a $30 mail in rebate. The rebate expires Jan. 31st. I am really impressed with the dewalt set.

It might be something you might want to look into.