PDA

View Full Version : Parallelogram jointer

Ken Glass
12-04-2007, 10:09 PM
My brother has been looking for a new jointer, and found a new Grizzly Parallelogram 6" jointer with a great price, Model #GO604xb and asked me the difference between it and a regular 6" jointer. I could not tell him the difference. Does anyone know what the difference is?

Alan Schaffter
12-04-2007, 10:56 PM
A non-parallelogram jointer has wedge-shaped infeed/outfeed base that slide on sloped ways. Table heights are changed by the tables sliding in and out on the sloped ways. As you raise and lower the tables the gap to the cutter gets wider and narrower. To align the tables to be coplanar and properly aligned with the cutter you need to shim it.

In a parallelogram jointer the in-feed and out-feed tables are supported with two sets each of parallelogram type arms. The tables maintain a relatively consistent distance from the cutter. Each end of the parallelogram pivot arm is attached to a pivot pin that is mounted in eccentric bushings which can be rotated to finely adjust the table, which arguably make it easier to align.

If you Google parallelogram jointer- you will see all major manufacturers are now using the Delta paralellogram design on their better jointers.

Simon Dupay
12-05-2007, 2:41 AM
The parallelogram jointer has a lot of flaws IMHO. First, the parallelogram system poorly supports the bed also the gap to the cutter stays the same to make for poor dust collection.

Paul Johnstone
12-05-2007, 10:36 AM
I've used both styles, and I honestly can't say that dust collection is that much different either way.

On both styles, you'll get a few small chips flying out the top, but the bulk will get sucked in through the bottom.

I don't really think the dust collection difference is an issue, at least on the jointers (Delta and Jet) that I've used.

Pat Germain
12-05-2007, 2:03 PM
I have an 8" parallelogram jointer and it works amazingly well; no problems with dust collection.

Ken, I would recommend your brother get an 8" model if his budget will allow it. I was going to get a 6", but the nice folks here on SMC encouraged me to go 8". I'm very glad I did. The extra expense was well worth it.

Ken Glass
12-05-2007, 2:43 PM
Thanks to all that posted a reply. My brother decided to go for the 6" Parallelogram Jointer Model GO604XB from Grizzly on eBay. It was $450.00 on eBay vs $575.00 at the Grizzly web site. It is new, but has a few paint blemishes, but other than that is perfect, with full Grizzly warranty. It even has a built in mobile base. What a buy. There were 6 available when he bought his today, so anyone interested should take a look.

Mike Marcade
12-05-2007, 5:50 PM
Thanks to all that posted a reply. My brother decided to go for the 6" Parallelogram Jointer Model GO604XB from Grizzly on eBay. It was $450.00 on eBay vs $575.00 at the Grizzly web site. It is new, but has a few paint blemishes, but other than that is perfect, with full Grizzly warranty. It even has a built in mobile base. What a buy. There were 6 available when he bought his today, so anyone interested should take a look.

Were there any freight charges on that? Thats a killer deal!

Ken Glass
12-05-2007, 9:22 PM
Mike,
Good Question. My brother paid 94.00 shipping from the nearest Grizzly Warehouse. Still a great deal considering transportation costs.

Simon Dupay
12-05-2007, 11:56 PM
We have a POS DJ-20 at work and it always spits dust on the infeed side, see when gap doesn't get bigger the bigger chips can't get sucked up.