PDA

View Full Version : Block plane parts for a noob

Gregory Lyons
12-04-2007, 8:34 PM
I'm a relative novice to woodworking and hand tools in particular. Most of what I have done to date has been hacked together with the tailed tools that I've got as well as a few chisels.

I have a Handyman smoother that I got from my dad, who probably only used it once or twice. I got it tuned up reasonably well, and have been playing around trying to get a feel for it.

The other day I picked up 4 planes from a local craigslist poster. For $45 I got a #10 1/2 smooth rabbet, a #27, a #9 1/2 block plane and a Millers Falls #75B block plane. They're all in reasonably good condition I suppose, and I think they'll be quite serviceable with a little work. I don't know if this was a great deal, but I'm satisfied and it beats what I've seen at the local flea market.

My only problem is that the #9 1/2 is missing the front knob and adjustment lever for the front sole. What is the best way to find a replacement for this?

Thanks,

~g

Casey Gooding
12-04-2007, 8:57 PM
Congrats on the planes!! The 10 1/2 is worth much more than you paid for the set. Parts for the 9 1/2 are easy to find. Check on the auction site or www.antique-used-tools.com (http://www.antique-used-tools.com). Bob Kaune runs the site. Will almost always have what you need.
Best of luck with it.

David Tiell
12-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Greg,
I agree with Casey, you got a real bargain on the 10 1/2 alone! Really nice find there. As for the parts for the 9 1/2, I've got extras laying around. Tell you what I'll do. If you donate $6 to Sawmill Creek to upgrade to contributor status, then send me a PM with your mailing address, I'll send you a knob and lever. According to Bob's site, he want's $15.95 each for them, so it could save you some money, and at the same time give you some additional user privileges here on the Creek.

Dave

jonathan snyder
12-04-2007, 11:35 PM
Gregory,

Nice score on the 10 1/2. How about some pictures. The rule around here is "no pictures, then it didn't happen"!;) Take David up on his offer.

Good on ya David!!

Jonathan

Gregory Lyons
12-05-2007, 8:36 AM
Thanks for the replies, particularly David's generous offer. I thought that the 10 1/2 might be a little special. I guess this is my first 'gloat'.

I've only recently signed up here, and have honestly intended to donate, but this serves as the perfect incentive. David, I made my contribution just a few minutes ago; I even bumped up the amount. I'll send you a PM with my address and will gladly pay any shipping cost. I really appreciate the offer and look forward to getting these guys tuned up and cutting.

From reading the forums for a few weeks, I'm well familiar with the pics doctrine. I'll snap some this evening and post them here.

~g

Gregory Lyons
12-05-2007, 7:54 PM
OK, here are some pics. I apologize for the quality, I had to use the camera on my phone as the lens on my digital stopped working.

As you can see, these guys are fairly clean. The 10 1/2 has some chips wedged between the CB and blade and as I mentioned in the original post the 9 1/2 is missing the knob & lever. The tote on the 27 is broken off at the top and is a little loose. I may or may not fix that as it seems the the tote fits my hand better without a 'horn' on top. My hands must be bigger than I think since the only comfortable way to grip the tote on the 27 is with my pinky and ring fingers extended along the side of the wooden sole.

~g

Bill Houghton
12-05-2007, 9:07 PM
The 10-1/2 can be a useful tool. You'll be surprised how often you can use a plain (no fence) rabbet plane, and, if you do need a fence, you can tack or clamp a board on the work.

Many of us need to stick out at least an index finger along the plane body. I feel it actually helps you control the plane. You might try repairing that tote, and see if you can get the pinky in place.

By the way, I find the space in front of the tote on my 10-1/2 so tight that I grip it by holding my fingers open around the tote - as if holding a hardback book by its spine. This still works fine.

David Tiell
12-05-2007, 9:17 PM
Greg,
Based on those pics, as I said earlier, you got a great deal! Congrats, and I'll give you the proverbial "YOU SUCK!" for it!:D BTW, I got your PM, and your parts should be in the mail by the end of the week. I have a rough time getting away from the office during the workday, so it will probably go out Saturday. Thanks for your contribution to the Creek!

Dave

Mark Stutz
12-05-2007, 11:09 PM
Gregory,
You may find that once you start to use it, the horn is more comfortable, and I find, more efficient. I have a #6 that I haven't had a chance to repair, and find it just doesn't feel right. I'm not sure the design would have stayed virtually the same for over 100 years if it was purely aesthetics.

jonathan snyder
12-06-2007, 12:47 AM
Gregory,

A quick search of completed listings on e-bay shows 10 1/2's selling for $100-200. You sure robbed somebody;)!! Good score

Jonathan