PDA

View Full Version : My apology.

Brian Kent
12-04-2007, 7:59 PM
Hey, my friends, I think I need to apologize. I have been like the guy who always goes out for pizza with the gang and never picks up the tab.

I spend more time on Sawmill Creek than any other site on the internet. I have saved beaucoup bucks because of all of your advice. But I spent about 18 months on the Creek before I supported it financially.

I had planned to chip in something and just never did. Now finally I did last month and I can see that is really important.

I hope others will chip in your $6 or your $20. It is so worth it, compared to any book or tool or couple of board feet of lumber!

Thanks, everybody, and sorry I took so long to jump on board.

John Shuk
12-04-2007, 8:26 PM
Thanks Brian.

Bruce Page
12-04-2007, 8:40 PM
Thanks Brian.

Dito.
The Creek needs more supporters like you!

Paul Greathouse
12-04-2007, 8:41 PM
Brian

Good to have you as a fellow contributor. Thanks for helping keep this great forum going.

Craig D Peltier
12-04-2007, 8:46 PM
I felt bad for a while too. I was pretty poor when I first came on here and couldnt afford to part. ( Thats what happens when you goof of for 9 months) Since then I have become much more knowledgeable and most from the Creek. So thanks.
I contributed last week $25.
Theres 576,384 years of experience on here in case anyones wondering. :eek:

Bill Bryant
12-04-2007, 9:16 PM
I just contributed using PayPal. When does contributor status show up on my posts?

frank shic
12-04-2007, 9:26 PM
it'll show up within another day or so

Brian Kent
12-04-2007, 9:29 PM
I think it showed up for me in 24, or maybe 48 hours.

For awhile I failed the IQ test. I knew the Creek was user supported, but I thought "contributor" referred to people who "contributed" a certain number of posts or who started threads. Ooops.

Don Bullock
12-04-2007, 11:16 PM
It's great to have you with us Brian. Thanks for the contribution. Hopefully others will follow your example.

Lee DeRaud
12-05-2007, 12:15 AM
... I thought "contributor" referred to people who "contributed" a certain number of posts or who started threads.Without those contributors, there wouldn't be a Creek...or at least not one worth reading.

Heather Thompson
12-05-2007, 6:17 AM
I also fell into the "Failed the IQ test" group for about the first two weeks, then the light bulb clicked on, best contribution I have made in a long time. Looking forward to many years in the Creek, would like to see more people do their fair share as well.

Heather

For awhile I failed the IQ test. I knew the Creek was user supported, but I thought "contributor" referred to people who "contributed" a certain number of posts or who started threads. Ooops.[/quote]

scott spencer
12-05-2007, 7:00 AM
I'd been meaning to contribute again for a while...your note was just the push I needed to "do" something about it. Thanks....and I forgive you! :D

Glenn Clabo
12-05-2007, 7:01 AM
Brian,
It's not just about the money...it's about appreciation. I believe Keith is making changes that will keep SMC running better than ever in spite of those who don't understand or appreciate the hard work that the people who run SMC do. Thanks for taking part in and being part of those who appreciate it.

Derek Tuchscherer
12-05-2007, 8:28 AM
I don't think there is need for anyone to apologize on this matter, just calk it up to one more thing you have learned.

Derek

Greg Cole
12-05-2007, 8:34 AM
Thanks Brian.
Chipping in is something that takes awhile to get around to, or in many cases it takes awhlie to gain appreciation for what this forum is and what it contains...... I too wasn't an immediate contributor nor poster. Lurking leads to more lurking and eventually you either have something(s) that you want to ask or something you would like to share & if you use the Creek often you get a feeling you are "one of the guys.. err... girls... umm.... a Creeker"
Once the proverbial you starts dipping your toes in the Creek's waters, ya have a hard time getting out.:rolleyes:
Truly, for what you pay for one magazine or ww'ing book, you can chip in here and get oh-so-much more in return.

Cheers.
Greg

Steve Clardy
12-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Without those contributors, there wouldn't be a Creek...or at least not one worth reading.

Ditto that. ;););)

Gary Keedwell
12-05-2007, 10:34 AM
My 3 step conversion took me about 3 years. ( lurk...member...contributer) I'm not sure why it took me so long....maybe I didn't read the right threads or maybe the campaign was more aggressive this year. Regardless, I compensated by giving a healthy dose this year.
Gary

Michael Stanley
12-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Okay, I felt guilty after reading this thread so I did my part and became a contributor.......:)

Mike Heaney
12-05-2007, 11:06 AM
welcome Michael- good to have you join

regards

Mike

Larry James
12-05-2007, 11:09 AM
The quote below is from the Tech Support Forum:

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=70425

Jim,

Our fund drive this year was less then successful with just over 7% of our Active Members contributing this year. The average actually went down even though we have grown over 250% in the last 12 months which means we cannot continue to support our monstrous growth rate with declining financial support so some changes have to be made.

Members will no longer be able to post in the Classified Forum, all of our Woodworking Forums will remain open for Members to view and post as it has been since the beginning but there will be other changes forthcoming. We will be adding advertising to cover the cost of Member and Guest access and there will be more features added for Contributors as an incentive for more Members to support The Creek financially.

I have shared this information before but I will once again let everyone know that we are growing by 1500 new Members per month, and have been since early last year. The Creek gets bigger but funds decrease, this is a disaster coming our way so I will be changing our Forums from a User Supported base to an Advertising supported model. I dislike this having to happen but our Members have voted again this year that they prefer free access.

The Contributor side of SawMill Creek will change as well, with new features added as they become available and NO ADVERTISING. The vBulletin upgrade that is just a few weeks away will offer personal photo galleries, personal Blogs, geographic groups, and a host of other new features. Combined with FreeStuff Drawings, Bulk Buys, The Projects and Plans Forum plus the Classified Forum Contributors will enjoy extra features as a reward for providing their financial support.

A complete explanation of changes will be posted in a couple of days.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To All:
I know that this will be unpopular with some of our Members but let me issue a stern warning before the complaining begins. None of this is my doing.........over 10,000 people visit and use The Creek on almost a daily basis and 7% offered to help us pay the bills. This is not enough support for us to continue and it is not fair for such a small group of Contributors to carry the entire financial load here. Ten thousand people spoke loud and clear this year so I am just giving them what that prefer. I have preserved most of what The Creek has been for everyone these last four years on the Contributors side of The Creek, in fact I am adding new features to make it better so everyone still has the opportunity to make a choice which side they prefer. I have no intention of taking a lot of heat for the changes that must be made so cut me some slack here, this is not my choice and I dislike the changes that I have been forced to make.

Scott Hooker
12-05-2007, 11:09 AM
I've been lurking long enough! I just contributed, partly because I'm receiving the majority of feedback on my recent thread from contributors! It's only right to give back when you receive!

And it feels good too! :)

Scott

Al Willits
12-05-2007, 11:11 AM
OK OK...I'm tying a string on my finger to remember to send the check...:)

Gotta send one to Nic also...maybe if I get enough checks that need to be sent I'll actually remember to do it...I'm blaming to many projects, you know who is blaming age....and the 60's....:)

Al

Glenn Clabo
12-05-2007, 11:17 AM
I'm blaming to many projects, you know who is blaming age....and the 60's....:)
Al

What are you talking about Al...I don't remember a thing about the 60's. Maybe I skipped right over them? ;):cool:

Dan Strieter
12-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Made my contribution today. Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge and for all the encouraging words.

Brian Weick
12-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Thanks for you thoughtful donation Brian- It is well worth every penny.
Thanks for donating.
Brian- great name by the way :eek:

mike holden
12-06-2007, 8:43 AM
Good on ya, Bo!

Mike

Kyle Mason
12-07-2007, 11:17 AM
I contributed today. Sometimes a long time lurker forgets the value of a site like this.

Kyle

mike holden
12-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Good on you too!
Welcome aboard!

Mike

Will Blick
12-07-2007, 4:19 PM
It is a small price to pay, consider all the work it takes to keep a forum like this operational....

Bill Wyko
12-07-2007, 4:23 PM
Nothing like a great forum for great people. The knowledge grows here exponentially here. Thanks.