PDA

View Full Version : Box Challenge

Bobby McCarley
12-04-2007, 7:57 PM
At our December turners meeting, the monthly challenge is to turn a box. To get into the holliday spirit, this will be my entry. It's a snowman, but it is also a double box. It was made out of scyamore with texas ebony and yellowheart for the accents. Not sure what to do with the hat, leave it natural or paint it black.

We will also have a "wobble off" using femispheres that we learned to turn at one of our meetings.

Bobby
Louisiana

Julie Tanner
12-04-2007, 9:21 PM
your little snowmen are Soooo Cute.

I also really like the red white and blue thingy >>

looks like a lotta fun

John Hart
12-04-2007, 9:55 PM
I like the snowman too. Maybe a stain for the hat so the figure shows through. Either way...it'll be a knockout.

Steve Schlumpf
12-04-2007, 9:55 PM
Bobby - I got to tell you I really like the snowman box! Don't know if you actually win anything beyond recognition at your club meetings but you should get something just for the imagination! Very nice work! Don't paint the hat! Looks great as is!

Bernie Weishapl
12-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Bobby that is so cool. I really like the snowman box.

Tim A. Mitchell
12-05-2007, 12:12 AM
Love the snowman. Definately an interesting box concept. Oh, and I agree with John that a stain would work well on the hat.

Now onto the other item: Please take no offence, as my eyes are not sure what they are seeing, and perhaps a different angle would show me otherwise, but. . . I think if you rotate it 90 degrees counter-clockwise, then drill a hole in the bottom, mount it to the wall, and attach some plumbing . . . You have turned a urinal???:confused:

To be honest, I am not sure how you got that shape!

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
12-05-2007, 2:58 AM
I like that snowman box, Bobby! I'll echo possibly using a stain on the hat, but that's about it.

Raymond Overman
12-05-2007, 7:35 AM
The box is neat. I would go ahead and paint the hat but that's just me. I'm not against covering up wood grain in some cases. :eek:

The femisphere is cool too. I'm going to have to turn one of those some day.

Bobby McCarley
12-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the comments, they are appreciated. I may color the hat with some black trans tint dye. That way the grain of the wood can still be seen.

Tim, if you google femispheres you will get plenty of hits on what they are and how to make them. When placed on an incline they will roll in a straight line, if they are made right.

Bobby
Louisiana

Tom Sherman
12-05-2007, 1:08 PM
Very cool Bobby, neat idea for the box, like the femisphere also.