PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a Cherry finish on pine?

dennis thompson
12-04-2007, 7:01 PM
I'd appreciate some suggestions for applying a cherry finish on pine,specific brand recommendations would be very helpful
Thanks
Dennis

Ed Peters
12-05-2007, 1:59 AM
to get a cherry finish on pine..........wait for it..........wait for it..........is to..........you guessed it..........start with cherry lumber! I do wish you luck though. You will find that pine does not take stain uniformly and will produce a blotchy effect without you doing anything wrong. A sanding sealer (just what the name implies) may be your first step. Then it will be a matter of trial and error until you find the finish schedule that accomplishes what you are after. My fear would be that you will be forced by either your reserve of patience (or lack thereof) or the proclivity of the wood, to accept a finish that is less than your project deserves. Yes, the wood you desire would have been more expensive up front (not terribly so) but the results would have been oh so much more rewarding. Next time, I suggest that you throw your doubts to the wind, splurge and treat yourself to the real deal and enjoy the results of your labor.

Ed

Jim Becker
12-05-2007, 3:29 AM
What Ed said...pine is never going to look like cherry.

That said, if you want to get a general color tone in the range of what cherry might look like, I suggest you use a water soluable dye. Pine is very difficult to color, but with the dye you have the most chance of doing so without the serious blotchyness that a pigment stain will leave on the species. Seal with de-waxed shellac (which can also be used to add additional color) and then finish how you want.

Todd Burch
12-05-2007, 8:13 AM
There is one last option on this planet that will work besides a water soluable dye, and that is an alcohol based NGR (non-grain raising) dye. ML Campbell makes a line of products called Toners. They are spray only and are typically covered with a spray lacquer (pre-catalized "pre-cat" or post-catalized "post-cat"). With these is you can get very acceptable results finishing pine.

Period. Selah. End of story.

Todd

George Bregar
12-05-2007, 9:39 AM
Saying you want a cherry finish on pine is not saying make it look like cherry. As stated pine takes stain poorly. Applying a H20 dye really won't change that much. Here's what I did facing the challenge of matching woodwork in color when having to stain a new pine window and shelf. My lake home has many species in it...cedar trim that has taken on a dark red patina over three decades was the starting point. I also have knotty alder panel doors (left in picture). And pine windows. I want them to tonally match. I used 50/50 Transtint Mission Brown and Reddish brown in a 50/50 solution of wiping lacquer and 2# dewaxed shellac. The lacquer and shellac dry very quickly and lays the color on top. In my experience, no blotchiness. Here is a pic, the window inset and a stained cherry chest in the room. Looks pretty close to me. Of course, I could have special ordered a cherry clad window as Ed suggests, or cedar and wait 30 years...but I thought my route was a little more pragmatic. ;) The above method can be altered to whatever tone is required. Hope this helps.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/Hellrot325/cherryfinish.jpg